SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Foam to solve stinky AC

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 10:32 AM
bfigard
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam to solve stinky AC

Todd at TM Engineering tells me there is an industrial foam you can spray up your AC drain tube that will absorb enough moisture to keep the moldy cheese smell out of your AC ducts.

But he doesn't remember the name of the foam. Anybody?
Old 06-26-07, 03:32 PM
liquid2
Pole Position

stinky ac is a big problem in the sc
Old 06-26-07, 04:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't know the name, but you guys have stinky ac smell? that's so weird coz' i never have that problem on our 3 lexus. we turn on the ac all the time though, maybe that helps?

i am always wondering why
Old 06-26-07, 05:35 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

try this:
http://autogeek.net/cleanairhigp.html
Old 07-01-07, 12:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Hey guys. Just an update, I bought this:

It was $4.99 at my local Kragen store (with coupon..$6.99 without).

I just tried it in both my car and my dad's car (he smokes) and so far it seems to do the trick. No more funky mildew smell. I'm going to wait another week or so to give you guys another update.But for the price, I can't go wrong! It smells fresh regardless if I put it in ventilation or recirculation.

Last edited by GSteg; 07-01-07 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-02-07, 11:14 AM
bfigard
Rookie

Are you talking about the SC430 specifically?

If so, did you spray it up the drain hose (where the water drips out), in the air intake, where?
Old 07-02-07, 11:20 AM
GSteg
Rookie

I have a GS400, but the procedure is the same for most, if not all cars.

Here was what I did (per instruction):

1. roll down the windows, set the vent to outside air, and turn on the fan to max.
2. spray the solution into the air intake that's right in front of the windshield. Spray a generous amount.
3. Wait a minute and then turn off the fan.
4. spray the solution into the air vents inside the car (a good amount) and let it sit for 10 minutes.
5. Turn on the fan at full blast for 10 minutes.
6. done.

I did this with the engine OFF. You just need the fan running. Day 2 and the fresh scented smell is still here. Granted I dont use the AC much, it still smells better than the mold stuff. I'm going to check up on my dad's car tonight since his HVAC system smells the worse.
Old 07-02-07, 11:32 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't find it right now, but I know there's a Toyota branded foam cleaner than you use under your car for the AC system.

What you can do to prevent musty smells is to turn off the AC a short while before you turn the car off. Then, with only outside air running, turn your fans to high to blow off the last bit of moisture from your AC system.
Old 07-02-07, 01:32 PM
bfigard
Rookie

Thanks Overclocker; I know you can manually dry out the system by turning the AC off, but how likely is one to remember to do that 10 minutes before parking the car and getting out?

If you rely on remember to shut it down and blow it out with the fan every time you use the AC, you have an amazing memory and should be able to use it for getting rich somehow.
Old 07-03-07, 05:59 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you use your parking break when you park your car? I do, and I do my little AC routine almost every time, unless I'm in a hurry.

You can learn to do it, it just takes practice. But this still doesn't answer what the name of that foam is. I'll ask my parts guy after the holiday and post it up.
Old 07-07-07, 08:10 PM
bfigard
Rookie

Hooooo-wey, it was a ripe smell today when I flicked on the A/C.
But that was probably due to not showering and going commando.

Overclocker, any news on that foam?
I'll take a shower too, in the mean time.
Old 07-10-07, 11:12 AM
Bubba
Driver School Candidate

I have the same odor (it's musty or like really stinky feet) when I turn on the AC. It's usually the worst the first time you turn on the AC after winter. I tried Lysol which only worked a couple of days, so I bought a product called Frigi Fresh from BG Products. I haven't tried it yet, but will follow the steps above.

Someone did tell me to make sure the AC drain hose isn't plugged, but I have no idea if the car has one or where it is if it does. Is there such a thing on the SC?
Old 07-17-07, 04:24 PM
Bubba
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to let people know that the FrigiFresh seemed to do the trick of getting rid of the musty smell. I turned on the air conditioning with outside air selected and fan on high, and sprayed it into the intake vent at the bottom of the windshield (pop the hood for easy access) about 3 times and for 10 seconds each. I also sprayed it into the air conditioning vent housing which is behind the glove compartment with the air still on and the filter removed, and I also sprayed it on the filter itself before reinstalling. I found that it is easier to gently bend the center portion of each side of the glove compartment so the plastic tab pulls out of the hole rather than trying to yank the tab out with a pliers as shown in the owners manual. My car now smells very fresh, but the real test will be next spring after not using it for the winter.