The front license plate in CA

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-07, 04:26 PM
josta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
In a word, V - A - N - I - T - Y

Ever notice that plain old Chevy or Hyundai owners usually have the front plate on, but once people get a Bimmer, Lexus or other 'more expensive than average' car they think no plate makes them look cooler? Wonder why?
EXACTLY! I got my personalized plates today for my new GX470, put the rear one on, and was on the way to the dealer to have them put the front one on. And while driving over there, I noticed the Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and other "more expensive than average" cars didn't have front plates, and I'm in Southern California.

So...I made an u-turn...LOL

(It's the riff-raff and lowlifes that "have" to have front plates on so they don't get pulled over while carrying drugs)

I've never been cited for not having a front plate on any of my other cars for as far as I can remember...and I'm 53.

JOHN
Old 08-17-07, 04:34 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would care less if my car appeared ,"cooler" to someone else. I simply do not like a front plate because it interrupts the flow of the styling on the car and IMO looks better.
Old 08-17-07, 05:24 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Venice430
Guys, I am still waiting for my plates from the DMV but I am noticing that half of the 430's that see around do not have the front license plate on.

What is the deal, do you get hassled by the PD for not having it?
I have been in California for 8 years, never had a front plate on any of my cars and have never been stopped. However my wife was stopped after having her new car for about 2 months. I used cable ties and attached it to the lower mesh grill, took it to the local police department, who approved it and paid the $10 fix it ticket. Upon returning home I cut the cable ties, placed the plate in the trunk along with spare cable ties and have lived happily ever after.

I agree with others on this subject the car does look better without it and it is not a matter of vanity. If the stylists could find a better way of integrating the front bracket instead of the clumsy add on bracket, I might become a law biding citizen.
Old 08-17-07, 09:47 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Lou - good to see you back here!
How's the SL55 treating you?

PS: In five years, been cited once (while parked in West Hollywood) for no front plate.
Old 08-18-07, 06:17 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been driving without a front plate since the summer of 2001. I never got a ticket, but did receive a suggestion from a trooper at a police checkpoint a couple of years ago.

Personally, I have no problem installing a front plate if only someone made a bracket that fit the car instead of havng the plate hang there like a dog's tongue. It's hard to believe that this model has been out for six years and no one has yet felt it economically feasible to make a decent bracket.
Old 08-19-07, 07:26 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Roofless
Hey Lou - good to see you back here!
How's the SL55 treating you?

PS: In five years, been cited once (while parked in West Hollywood) for no front plate.
The SL is still doing fine. I recently put RennTech headers and larger intercooler /pump on the car to go along with the other Renn mods and dyno'd the car. 485 RWH and 487 RWT. Next is a Quaife limited slip differential to keep the wheels from churning. Loving it more than ever.
Old 08-19-07, 11:59 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice!
Thought the SL55 had a limited slip differential - guess not.

I remember you adding the earlier RennTech mods and wondered if you'd later think it was overkill. (That is a crazy fast engine and a pretty well set up car as stock.) Apparently not. Good job.

Was going to replace my SC430 with an SL63, but it never came out. I'm entertaining the thought of buying an SL55 - we'll see. Drop me a PM when you decide to sell. If AMG hasn't upgraded the SL, I may be interested.
-Richard -
Old 08-21-07, 09:39 AM
bfigard
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
no way to get away coz' they take pictures from behind too
but one may argue that while your face is shown in the picture without a plate, the picture of the back of your car with plate does not clearly identify you.

When you get this ticket they rightfully cite you for no front plate. But I'd be interested in knowing if the courts would go so far as to assume the unindentified car/driver in the front view is the same as the car identified by plate in rear view. It's a lame argument to make, but it just might win.