SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

The front license plate in CA

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 09:21 PM
Venice430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The front license plate in CA

Guys, I am still waiting for my plates from the DMV but I am noticing that half of the 430's that see around do not have the front license plate on.

What is the deal, do you get hassled by the PD for not having it?
Old 06-26-07, 09:33 PM
AndrewNm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Venice430
Guys, I am still waiting for my plates from the DMV but I am noticing that half of the 430's that see around do not have the front license plate on.

What is the deal, do you get hassled by the PD for not having it?
5 months without a hassle
Old 06-26-07, 09:33 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Some do, some do not; fact is, it's still the law and you can get cited for it. I removed mine a while back and so far no issues. Others here have actually received a parking citation for a missing front plate.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=front+plate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=front+plate
Old 06-26-07, 11:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

of course it depends on the area you are in. nice areas and you drive ok usually cops won't come and hassle you. but if you are in so-so area, you taking your chance
Old 06-27-07, 01:39 AM
bfigard
Rookie

Automatic fine if you get a red light camera ticket without front plate (although, that itself may help you beat the red light charge).

Dealership will put on the front plate while you wait. No charge.
Old 06-27-07, 09:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by bfigard
Automatic fine if you get a red light camera ticket without front plate (although, that itself may help you beat the red light charge).

Dealership will put on the front plate while you wait. No charge.
no way to get away coz' they take pictures from behind too
Old 06-27-07, 09:19 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I know every state is different, but TX requires front license plates. Not everyone has them here either. I was stopped (going a little fast) and even though I wasn't given a speeding ticket I was given a ticket for no front license plate and "obstructed rear license plate" (gimme a break... it was a plate frame from the dealer that said South Motors Infiniti). The ticket cost over $300.

The lesson was that if I'd been driving conservatively they wouldn't have stopped me, even without a front license plate, but since I wasn't... It seems to be similar to wearing seatbelts. They won't stop you for not wearing them, but if they stop you and you're not they will ticket you for that.
Old 06-27-07, 10:43 AM
bfigard
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
no way to get away coz' they take pictures from behind too
BUT your face is not clearly visible driving the car with your plate number.
There may be a legal seam one could ride because the camera doesn't prove "you" were driving the car with plate 3XXX123 as it ran the red light.

Just might be able to win the case if the court does not consider the back of your car running the light sufficient proof that the "unidentified" car driven by someone who looks like you in the front side picture are one in the same.

But that is why they want you to have the front plate...so you can't raise that argument and get away with running reds.
Old 06-27-07, 10:58 AM
NMLexus
Rookie

The ticket is sent to the registered owner and the ticket sticks unless you fill out the back part stating that the car was sold or provide another name of a person that was driving the car instead of you at the time of the incident.
Old 06-27-07, 11:11 AM
bfigard
Rookie

You don't have to fill in who the person driving your car was.

Camera has burden of proof that it was you driving the car.
If the person driving in the picture is not you, you are not guilty.
You are not required to incriminate the driver if it's not you.
Old 06-27-07, 11:27 AM
NMLexus
Rookie

I went to the police station that the ticket was issued from and they said i need to fill it out as I am the registered owner.

My friend was driving the car at the time and the ticket was sent to me. I wanted to see if I can keep him out of it but in the end, my friend just told me to fill in his info as it was too much trouble.

I wish I had known there was nothing they could do about it

Last edited by NMLexus; 06-27-07 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-27-07, 03:55 PM
Bubba
Driver School Candidate

I've been without a front license plate (I used the bumper plugs and it doesn't look too bad) in Wisconsin for over a year now with no problems. However, my friend just got pulled over on the interstate for not having a front license plate on his BMW 645 after only 2 weeks. He got a warning for I think only $15. He actually had the nerve to ask the cop, "So what happens if I don't put a plate on the front?" The cop replied with "You'll probably see me again when I pull you over." The part that really makes me wonder is that all of his windows on the BMW are tinted quite dark and the cop never said a word about that. I would think cops would be more concerned about that since walking up to a pulled over car had got to be scary enough.

I think it just depends on the area you live in and what the cop feels like that day.
Old 06-27-07, 04:23 PM
bfigard
Rookie

Being from Wisconsin myself, I know that factory tint is technically the only legal tint there. Aftermarket tint is not legal, but cops do selectively enforce it. Suffice to say that if you had an old Mustang all modified, you'd have a ticket for tint. Late model BMW, doubt he is going to write the ticket for tint.

I looked at front plate enforcement best I could, and most forums say you can get away without front plate fairly well except in the densest populated areas. SoCal in particular (with it$ many red light camera$) enforces the front plate more, based on what I've seen written on the web.

I still continue to fight authority, and authority always wins.
sum*****es.

Last edited by bfigard; 06-27-07 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-27-07, 05:43 PM
formosa927
Driver

i got two citations and pull over many by cops times in past years. since than, i always have front license plate
Old 06-27-07, 07:15 PM
ZGone
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never had a front plate on my Z and never will. It's been almost five years and not one issue. I have never receive a citation for anything else, moving or nonmoving. That is where you would get the "fix-it" ticket for the front plate. I have a friend that just got a ticket for the front plate which was associated with a parking fine. He just needed to put the plate on, take it to the DMV and get that portion of the fine reduced to $10. As for the red light cameras my wife got one driving my car and I had to fill out the info regarding the driver and send a copy of my driver’s license. I still had to do the online drivers school for her.twice.

Bottom line; don't put it on because it looks bad.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: The front license plate in CA