SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sat Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-07, 08:29 PM
surteco
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sat Radio

Just got a 07 pebble beach. Has anyone done anything with Satalite Radio? I find it hard to believe Lexus does not offer this. I have Serius in all my other cars. Thanks for Info.
Old 07-05-07, 08:32 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by surteco
Just got a 07 pebble beach. Has anyone done anything with Satalite Radio? I find it hard to believe Lexus does not offer this. I have Serius in all my other cars. Thanks for Info.
Agree, you'd think they would ditch the cassette player and reconfigure for XM or Sirius. It wouldn't be that difficult, imo.

BTW, nice car.
Old 07-05-07, 10:01 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Lexus supports XM but not even for the SC430 which is just odd. I would agree; get rid of the cassette and install a aux input at the least. Surely it is not that difficult to do.
Old 07-08-07, 10:51 AM
surteco
Driver

I have talked to several "knowledgable" aftermarket instalers, the best solution I have found is a plug and play installed in the ash tray or console. Called 5 Lexus service departments and none had any idead. Regards
Old 07-08-07, 01:44 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the unit allowed for factory plug and play.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItemhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-08-07, 02:51 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a Delphi Sky-Fi 2 in the console. The power comes from the outlet in the console. The antenna runs out the back of the console and behind the back seat, so it is virtually hidden. The "mouse" end of the antenna is stuck to the "package shelf" (the part that doesn't move when the top goes up/down), right behind the back headrest on the driver's side, with double-sided tape. The Sky-Fi plays through a cassette adapter plugged into the cassette deck. That's the only wire you see.

There is no installation required as such, and if you want to buy a home kit you can take the Sky-Fi out of the cradle in the car and listen to it at home as well. The sound is actually very good, and I don't experience any more drop-outs than I do in my M with integrated XM. Also, the Sky-Fi automatically shuts off when you turn off the car and turns back on when you turn it on, so it never drains the battery. The only downside is the wire that shows to the cassette player and reaching into the console to change the channels.

Re: the plug and play, I use Sewell Lexus in Dallas for service, and they are one of the best dealers in the country for aftermarket parts. They have done some installs of the VAIS plug-and-play and told me they have had issues with inconsistency. They discouraged me from getting it installed.

BTW, an I-Pod can also run through the cassette player, and the sound is GREAT! All it needs is two adapters... one for the cassette player and one for power. Again, you have to control everything through the unit, but my M is the same way and it has RCA input/output for an I-Pod.
Old 07-08-07, 03:52 PM
bt430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Re: the plug and play, I use Sewell Lexus in Dallas for service, and they are one of the best dealers in the country for aftermarket parts. They have done some installs of the VAIS plug-and-play and told me they have had issues with inconsistency. They discouraged me from getting it installed.
I've been running the Vais unit for a while now with no issues at all. I've got it connected to a dvd player and an ipod, works great, no problems switching between the 2 inputs. Very clean install no wires hanging out of the radio.

bt
Old 07-08-07, 08:34 PM
surteco
Driver

Default To Fun Guy

Thanks so much for the info on the XM system. Have you tried this? If so does it function as claimed including ease of instlation? Also do you know if they offer Serius? Thanks again for the info. Surteco
Old 07-09-07, 07:25 AM
surteco
Driver

Do you have this unit? If so was it easy to install and perform ok. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-07, 07:30 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bt430
I've been running the Vais unit for a while now with no issues at all. I've got it connected to a dvd player and an ipod, works great, no problems switching between the 2 inputs. Very clean install no wires hanging out of the radio.

bt
Thanks. I think you and Jameskahn are the only ones who've tried it and it seemed he was having difficulty with the nav not working after having the Vais installed. That, along with what the Sewell service rep told me, made me a bit hestitant.

My service rep seems pretty knowledgeable. He told me some of his customers who've had the install have had it cut in and out, but after reading your post I'm going to give it some serious consideration.

I apologize in advance for the stupid question, but does the XM title/artist appear in your radio display or in the nav display?
Old 07-09-07, 10:42 AM
bt430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our setups differ as you have a 06 and I have an 04, there are differences between the ML systems. They implemented Bluetooth and it seems like there are hooks to other functionality that was not easily available in the earlier model. My post was referring to Pearlpower's who suggested installing an aux input. That's the setup I have 2 aux inputs. AUX is displayed on the radio when it's selected.