SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

aftermarket air intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-07, 11:55 PM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket air intake

so i've read every page of the SC portion of these amazing boards, and i was wondering, is there an after market air intake/filter that is worth spending a few hundred on? I know K&N claims better HP-Torque-and gas mileage, but that just sounds too good to be true for a few hundred bux.

so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys
Old 07-08-07, 12:21 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome aboard.
A search reveals

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=injen

I have used the Blitz, SRT, and my current Injen. Injen is my favorite and for a few others as well. The Blitz is more of an open air filter attached to the stock plumbing. The SRT is a very tight fit but will produce some good HP/TQ numbers.

Noise: Quiet to Loud, Blitz, Injen, SRT

Fit/Finish: Best first: Injen,Blitz, SRT

HP/TQ increase: Most to Least: SRT, Injen, Blitz (very little)

CARB exempt: Only the Injen

There are also Injen copycats on Ebay (without the CARB) for very little money.
Old 07-08-07, 12:24 AM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

Wow, Great Thanks. Never noticed the 'search' before. Now I know. Thanks again!
Old 07-08-07, 12:38 AM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

And one more thing, do you have a part number for the Injen? It seems to me that everyone loves that one, with increase in a little of everything, which is exactly what I'm looking for..
Old 07-08-07, 12:45 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

For the powder black unit as seen in most pics- IS2095BLK

For the polished unit- IS2095P

You would also want the air filter heat shield-HS5000P

Lee
Old 07-08-07, 01:06 AM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

Thanks for all that. It's definitely going to good use in the near future!
Old 07-08-07, 01:53 AM
paul_k
Rookie

Make sure it is a true Cold air intake not just a filter with a "heat shield" otherwise you will loose power. The inlet temperature needs to be as low as possible for maximum efficiency. Also the stock airbox is a tuned part of the intake.

On my 350Z there have been quite a few dynos myself included of aftermarket filters. So far they all loose power, even the aftermarket Nismo panel filter made no difference other than dyno error. They can sound great though.

There seems to be a lot of claims for increases in power but very few back to back independant tests done that proove the hp increase claims. Modern ECUs also adjust out any minor changes in fueling over time often negating any transient increase.

Paul
Old 07-08-07, 08:12 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Injen also and I am very happy with it!
Old 07-08-07, 08:39 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Paul, the SC430 and the 350z are not the same cars and cannot be compared to each other as they have different engine characteristics and will react differently to engine mods. My 968 is an example-dyno proven to increase tq and hp by only drilling holes in the intake box-10-15hp more in fact. There have been a few dynos posted (not sure how many are still up though) on CL along with real world comparisons that back up the intake increases for 400/430 cars from Weapon R/ SRT/Injen ,etc.. These cars respond well to intake mods and more so with exhaust/intake. Keeping in mind the SRT comes with a piggy back for further fuel needs.
Also the ECU will adjust the fuel for the additional air to a degree but certainly would not adjust out the added air coming into the motor otherwise the car would run lean as backing off the timing would easily be noticed.

The Blitz is not a cold air intake and does not come with a heat shield. As stated above the Injen has a heat shield available though I doubt it does much due to the deisng. Best bet is to use a shield that separates the engine from the air filter.

There are also those(one) that ran their cars at the track and have come back to state the SRT did nothing for them but I have serious doubts the install was done correctly or the ECU was running as it should as the difference is profound and not small. That particular intake requires an ECU otherwise the loss at low end does not warrant the small gain up top w/o the ecu.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 07-08-07 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-10-07, 04:49 PM
02Ku
Driver

Its been a while since i posted, however, ive made enough extra cash to start spending on my sc. Im also interested in purchasing an injen intake. Any suggestions on where to get it from for the cheapest price. I have found the intake for about 215 and the heat shield for about 45. Is that a fair price? Also, is there anything else i need to do after the install (like programming the ecu). Lastly, it would seem from all the posts on this subject that the install is pretty much simple...am i right? thanks guys. hope to hear from all of you.
Old 07-10-07, 07:11 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Install is easy. I passed on the heatshield when I bought mine because I thought it was a waste of money.