SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How to increase range of key remote?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 02:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
wonder if this works with the remote master keys.....cuz my range for the key is like...2feet if im lucky.
yup, it works (in my case at least). my gs400 range sucked. maybe 5-7 feet at the most. but sometimes i walked away and forgot to lock the car, pressed and nothing, then i put it against my cheek, a lot of times it worked
Old 02-22-08, 03:03 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, it works (in my case at least). my gs400 range sucked. maybe 5-7 feet at the most. but sometimes i walked away and forgot to lock the car, pressed and nothing, then i put it against my cheek, a lot of times it worked
alrite cool so u just put it next to ur mouth and press the button?? need to open ur mouth or anything so the signals get out?? <---lol sounded so stupid.
Old 02-22-08, 05:33 PM
rnourse
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cheek, jawbone, skull... doesn't matter. Make the key contact your head and you'll see what I mean
Old 02-22-08, 05:36 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rnourse
cheek, jawbone, skull... doesn't matter. Make the key contact your head and you'll see what I mean
Dont forget to wave your hand in the air like you just don't care. That gets a few more feet like a sticker gets me five more horsepower.
Old 03-01-08, 07:31 AM
drewkaree
Rookie

The "hold it to your head" generally works because you hold the remote "differently" than you normally would. You're probably holding the remote so that the internal antenna is in a better position, which is why it works better for some cars than others (my wife's Olds works better with this method, but my 'rents Caddy works for shizzle).

The best method was listed already here. You need to solder another piece of wire to the internal antenna inside the transponder. It doesn't matter how long the piece of wire is, you just have to be able to close the thing back up after you're done with the "surgery" without nicking the insulation and possibly shorting something out with the electronics. Much like increasing reception with my cell phone's built-in radio, the wire acts to increase the reception. In this case, it would increase the distance you could send the signal.
Old 03-01-08, 10:46 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have tried placing it under my cheek, on top of my head, on my cheek and of course the normal phaser shooting mode.
Strange as it seems the under cheek method seems to add about 20-25 feet to the range. Metal portion of key touching my skin. Go figure.
I tried to get my wife to try it to see if it works with her but she had a few words to say about that which I prefer not to share.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 03-01-08 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-01-08, 11:50 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This sounds really dumb but I read this thread and had to go try it.
Car sitting in the driveway, level with no other cars around.
Just holding the keyfob out the range was about 4 feet. Backing up and holding the key up in the air as high as I could reach the range was 12 feet +. Holding it to my cheek the range was 21 feet. Just did it, can't explain it.
Old 03-01-08, 03:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I have tried placing it under my teeth, on top of my head, on my cheek and of course the normal phaser shooting mode.
Strange as it seems the under cheek method seems to add about 20-25 feet to the range. Metal portion of key touching my skin. Go figure.
I tried to get my wife to try it to see if it works with her but she had a few words to say about that which I prefer not to share.
lol, please do share, lee
Old 03-01-08, 09:37 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
The voice-of-reason speaks again! LOL!

I'm another that knows it just works - thought I knew why - but can't prove it. To see if our tooth fillings was the catalyst, my neighbor and I had his 4-year old (no fillings yet) try it. It worked. Lee, please don't tell your wife!
Old 03-03-08, 04:38 AM
Addiction2
Driver

I used to get no range whatsoever, literally I had to be touching the car. Which put a great big dent in the usability of the LuxLink unit. Then I had the remote battery changed and it works like a charm now from 25-30 feet. Hell I'll get it changed once a month to keep that range.
Old 03-03-08, 05:04 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by drewkaree
The best method was listed already here. You need to solder another piece of wire to the internal antenna inside the transponder. It doesn't matter how long the piece of wire is, you just have to be able to close the thing back up after you're done with the "surgery" without nicking the insulation and possibly shorting something out with the electronics. Much like increasing reception with my cell phone's built-in radio, the wire acts to increase the reception. In this case, it would increase the distance you could send the signal.
Has anyone actually tried this?
Old 03-03-08, 08:20 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have on a 2G GS. It did help a little but I had to use a short wire because it is almost imposible to fit a wire inside the key case. I had to trim a space for the wire to wrap around the remote while still fitting in the case. It would probably work better the longer the wire. I also found the receiver in the car and added wire to that as well. It helped more in consistancy at farther distances. But again, that was with a shorter wire (1 - 2") being used.
Old 03-03-08, 08:39 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Anyone tried using wire that is used to rewind electric motors like the ones that are used in slot cars? The wire is mabe .010 in diameter? i saw a roll of it at a Hobby shop the othere day and I was thinking you might be able to get 3 or 4 feet of the tiny stuff wrapped inside the remote.
Old 03-03-08, 08:49 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it insulated or bare wire?
Old 03-03-08, 09:03 AM
norman52
Intermediate

It is insulated. Otherwise the motor would just short itself out. It comes in different diameters too. If you have an old hair dryer laying around the wire on that armature should be the same type.

Quick Reply: How to increase range of key remote?