SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Battery problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-06, 05:12 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sell it. Sorry things did not work out for you. The issue is very uncommon yet so easy to diagonose for even an newbie Lexus tech or even yourself that I am questioning the validity of this entire post. Many have posted suggestions yet it does not appear that you followed much of the advice given. Sorry, but you seem to ramble on and on about Lexus and such and not so concerned about the issue at hand. You mind posting a pic of your last work order so that we can review it?
Old 07-17-06, 08:14 AM
827empress
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update III

For the person who recently responded - ramble, OK, guilty - perhaps it is also a bit of venting! Validity of post - one could argue that might be applicable to anyone's posting. My intention here is to simply share information - I have far better things to do that make random stuff up and feel no obglitation to prove anything to you. However, if you can offer any insight or information of substance, we can take this off-line. In the meantime, I am simply beyond the point of frustration here. I purchased a very nice automobile that I paid good money for, and I believe my car simply has a power related problem which must be very difficult to find or resolve. I believe I am taking a very careful and logical approach in letting my dealership ( and professional mechanics ) try to diagnose my issue. I can not use a trickle charger due to the proximity of my house to my vehicle. Due to work requirements, I am sometimes not in a position to start it weekly. I suppose I could try the Battery Brain or Priority Start, but I should not have to use these add-on's and want to make sure that I don't do anything which may afect the warranty. Finally, I drove the car last Thursday night. Parked it accordingly, and made sure any and all components were turned off. I went out to start the car this morning and it was dead again. It is off the the dealership again tomorrow via tow truck.
Old 07-17-06, 09:04 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I am truely baffled at this. I dont think other people have the same problems as you because they do not leave their car parked as long. A lot of people park their cars for about 2 or 3 days at most so they wont experience such affect.

Maybe its time to trade in for another car and hope this is an isolated problem.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

MUAHAH
Old 07-17-06, 09:05 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a thought....

Without understanding your security at where you park, or if sunlight is available to the auto, have you considered a solar charger?

For example, something like this.
http://batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/
http://www.siliconsolar.com/shop/cat...ger-p-139.html

It's off the wall, but could help with your problem. I have RV friends that like them.
Old 07-18-06, 03:50 AM
827empress
Driver School Candidate

Default Reply

Tammy - thanks - maybe the Solar charger may help - worth a try. I may have mentioned this earlier, but here goes. The history of my vehicle reveals it is on its 3rd stereo system - all prior to my purchase. One thing I have noticed ( and pointed out to the dealership last year ) is that when driving and listening to the stereo system, I sometimes hear what appears to be a small motor or something running, coming from my back right, trunk area. I believe that is where the NAV system is located. I don't hear it all the time, but it is noticable the odd time despite the volumn level of the stereo. In addition, you can also hear it just as I shut the car off. the routine lately is to place it in park, make sure stereo and heater / AC is "OFF" - same for lights. Anyhow, the sound of this motor continues until I actually shut the car off and pull the key out. Its like something is running or trying to run - but just the odd time. I really don't use the NAV system, so it is most always not running. Something simply has to be drawing this power and draining the battery(s). This will be the 5th or 5th time mine has died since November, it is my understanding that each time it happens, it makes the battery, in general, weaker. Anyone know the answer ??
Old 07-18-06, 05:33 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is an electric motor fuel pump back in the tank. Try listening in the trunk with the engine running. It should stop as the engine is switched off; this prevents dumping fuel in the event of an accident.
But, locating the motor sound could very well be helpful, especally if related to the Nav unit switched off.
Old 07-18-06, 09:18 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

I responded to your PM. Hope we can work together to solve this for you.
Sometimes finding the issue yourself is the only recourse. Been there before with Lexus on the SC400. The tech wanted to keep the car for a week and drive it around to work and back to ascertain the issue.
Also, I forgot to mention, try another dealership. Techs vary from shop to shop. I have seen some really horrible Lexus trained techs and some geniuses.
Old 07-30-06, 05:44 PM
827empress
Driver School Candidate

Please read my rather long winded postings going back since June - my problem is identical to yours. My car has been in 2 dealerships since the beginning of June for all but 2 weeks - towed twice. On its latest adventure, it has been there for 11 days and counting. I have been asked the dumbest questions by Service people which makes me curious on their ability to resolve "our" issue. One asked about my parking space ( townhouse ), the latest was a question on my radar detector that is not plugged in. The dealership just admitted that they detected a voltage drain after 4 days but can not find the cause. i have been told more than once that I must drive or start the car at least once per week - yet nobody will provide any official documentation. This does not appear to be a common issue based upon what I have discovered. However, it does appear there is a history here. I have also had weird radio issues as my postings will indicate. Hopefully we can both have our issue resolved.
Old 07-31-06, 10:25 PM
DonCorleon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tfischer
"My 2002 sits for a week at a time and has only been driven 7500 miles per year. It has never failed to start and never had the battery replaced."

I can do better than that. My car is over 5 years old, only has 24,000 miles on it, still has the original battery and starts right up every time. As I and others have mentioned above, it sits for weeks at a time. Many cars do and are designed for that.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the electrical system or the battery in the SC.
Ditto,

Only put 5700 miles a year or less. right around 23000 miles on the clock and just changed the stock tires with nice BF Goodrich KDW 2 !

Don-
Old 08-01-06, 06:26 AM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

My initial post was in error, and my car's mileage is in line with the above two.

After 5.5 years I have only 24,000 miles, which is less than 5,000/year, and includes quite a few road trips to the east coast of over 1,000 miles. I just replaced the original tires a month or so ago.

Back to the point: I still have the original battery, the car often sits idle for many days at a time, but starts immediately every time. The battery shows no signs of being weak.
Old 08-09-06, 07:09 PM
scubamom
Driver School Candidate

Find someone who can run some tests on your battery and fuses... fortunately, hubby is pretty handy a this sort of stuff and here was part of our letter to Lexus to help them figure out the probelm. Maybe print out this message and show it to a mechanic or Lexus. It's not that hard to do with a simple tester (which he bought at Walmart, I think)

Below are some diagnostics on our Lexus 430 that hubby Kenny ran:

-- The battery draws 1.25 amps when connected and within 5 seconds or so drops to .5A

-- When the D/CCUT fuse is removed it drops to .35A

-- When the D/CCUT and Radio fuse is removed it drops to .015A

-- When only the Radio fuse is removed it starts at .8 and in 5 seconds drops to .1 A

--It looks like the radio could be the problem?

Lexus changed out the radio amplifier and it appeared to have solved our problem (hubby ran same tests when we got it back) but regardless, I have gotten into the habit of turning off the radio before I turn off the car.
Old 08-29-06, 08:12 PM
velocity12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anyone resolved the problem of battery repeatedly draining?

There were a few posts a short while back about some batteries constantly draining after a few days of not being started. Has anyone come across a fix to that problem?
Old 08-29-06, 08:30 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Please see Dealer. That issue is among the 1% of SCs built.
Old 08-30-06, 12:37 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

I would say about 1/1000 of 1% of cars out there. Or better put-3 cars so far.
Old 02-21-07, 08:24 PM
petergerst
Rookie

Default battery went dead

I own a 2004 sc430 dark green/saddle with circa 33K miles. It's been on the road for about 2 years and 10 months (purchased March 2004). I drove to work on a real cold day out here in NYC metropolitan area.....came back to my car to find power nearly dead....cranked the car a couple times without success....then went dead completely. I had someone jump me and was able to start her up nicely. Fortunately I was able to get home without difficulty. I left the car running for a full 1 1/2 hours to make sure it was fully charged. The next day I took my car over to the dealer and they told me my battery was only working at 25% and had to be replaced (covered under original warranty). It seems to me it's a little early for a new battery to fail (again car has only been on the road about 2 years 10 months). I worry there's some drain on the battery that they couldn't diagnose and will cause the battery to drain over time. I had a nightmare with my first car, a Volvo S60 AWD, which turned out to be a lemon buyback by the dealer due to an electrical problem which drained 4 batteries in 1 year. I'm an emergency room doctor and can't afford to be late to work EVER so I'm more than a little paranoid now. I plan on purchasing my own little jumper unit just in case. But do you think I have to worry about this situation? I thought I might take the battery back to the dealer in a month to have the power checked....any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: Battery problem?