SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

where to go for oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 04:56 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default where to go for oil change?

i tried searching the topic, but "oil change" only brought up dozens of unrelated threads. anyway, $100 seems a little steep for an oil change from Lexus. i used to do it myself, but no longer have easy access to ramps and tools. where would you guys recommend? or do you think lexus is actually worth the $100?
Old 08-09-07, 05:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no it's not. it's very simple and similar to a lot of other cars. 50 bucks including fluids imho is a lot already (if synthetic, then reasonable)
Old 08-09-07, 07:26 PM
bfigard
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously, do any SC owners here go to national chain stores for oil changes?

When I first bought my SC I would not fathom the idea.

Now that I've watched a competant independent Lexus shop do the job (it's no different than other oil changes), I am ready to stop paying the dealer $65 for the peace of mind they won't screw with anything.

But where to go? Anyplace that will give your SC the carefulness it deserves, charge $20 to $30, and not summon you from the lobby to sell you some BS like fuel system cleaning?

Last edited by bfigard; 08-09-07 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-09-07, 08:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i will never go to places like jiffylude or whatever, my car would puke going to those places

i only go to trusted shops.
Old 08-10-07, 04:48 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

How is the maintence required light reset (to go off) after the oil is changed?
Is it something only the Lexus techs can do with a computer?
Old 08-10-07, 08:38 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Good question abbeyrd. I wondered that myself. I haven't had mine long enough for that to happen. However, I did go to Toyota dealership to have the oil changed day after I purchased it. $24.95 was my cost and they incouraged me to bring it back for future work as they advised me they have certified Lexus mechanics on site. Only about 2 miles from home and the Lexus dealership is approximately 20 miles. Duh!!

I personally don't think I would feel comfortable with one of those Quick Lub places. I'll do it before it comes to that. I guess that's up to the individual though. They probably do a good job and is quicker than dealerships, but just can't get myself to do it with any of my vehicles.

My Camry has directions in the Maintenance book to reset the Oil/Maintenace light. Not sure if Lexus has it in their's or not. I have read here where it does, but I didn't see it when I read through the manual.

GL

lar
Old 08-10-07, 09:20 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This works on a GX, not sure on the SC yet.
Maybe worth a try. Cant hurt.

Turn car to the 'ON' position in the ignition
Cycle through the Odometer so that you are on Total miles, not Trip A or B.
Turn car off
Hold in Odometer button while turning car back to ON.
Keep holding until the Maintenance light flashes and then goes off

As far as oil changes, I do my own. Too many issues with the shops using impact wrenches to remove and tighten(strip) oil drain bolts, etc...
Walmart for Mobil 1 and Toyota only filter is $40-$50.
Old 08-10-07, 09:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the procedure to reset i thought it's in the user manual? can someone confirm, i remember reading it before. i believe it's just a combination of buttons
Old 08-10-07, 10:27 AM
Yes

called toyota. they said $39.95. forgot to ask if they use the same oil and filter.
Old 08-10-07, 10:48 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

OK, I feel like a real idiot for posting this (considering the thread so far) but, I've never been shy when it comes to looking stupid....

The SC430 has a "Maintenance Required" light on it? Where? On the dash (like where the seatbelt, parking brake, and other indicator lights are)?

I only ask because I've had my 2003 for almost a year now, have put a little over 12K miles on it, and never seen any indicator light. I know there's a "maintenance" screen in the Nav system that lets you put in distance and/or date info. for maintenance items (like change oil, change filter, rotate tires, etc). I set this up once for the oil and filter; when the time came, a little message popped up on the Nav screen. I remember options like "Ignore for now" or "Ignore forever"...or words to that effect. Was extremely self-explanatory.

My old Volvo 740 had a "service" light on the dash and there was little reset button covered by a rubber plug on the dash. Pull out the plug, press the button with a toothpick or toothpick-shaped device, and the light would go away. Came on every 5K miles.
Old 08-10-07, 11:58 AM
Yes

Originally Posted by Habious
OK, I feel like a real idiot for posting this (considering the thread so far) but, I've never been shy when it comes to looking stupid....

The SC430 has a "Maintenance Required" light on it? Where? On the dash (like where the seatbelt, parking brake, and other indicator lights are)?

I only ask because I've had my 2003 for almost a year now, have put a little over 12K miles on it, and never seen any indicator light. I know there's a "maintenance" screen in the Nav system that lets you put in distance and/or date info. for maintenance items (like change oil, change filter, rotate tires, etc). I set this up once for the oil and filter; when the time came, a little message popped up on the Nav screen. I remember options like "Ignore for now" or "Ignore forever"...or words to that effect. Was extremely self-explanatory.

My old Volvo 740 had a "service" light on the dash and there was little reset button covered by a rubber plug on the dash. Pull out the plug, press the button with a toothpick or toothpick-shaped device, and the light would go away. Came on every 5K miles.
like you said, the navigation screen shows regularly scheduled maintenance. for everything else, like low fluid levels or brake pads, there are warning lights on the instrument cluster.
Old 08-10-07, 03:29 PM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

My Toyota dealership wouldn't handle Lexus autos.
Old 08-12-07, 08:08 AM
velocity12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't the oil change require a special gasket? Are those easy to come by in a general auto parts store?