SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Was the SC430 meant for more; can it achieve more?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-07, 09:13 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Was the SC430 meant for more; can it achieve more?

I always looked at the SC430 taking the place of the MKIV Supra once the Supra was legislated out back in '98. It's certainly got the style, and tons of power potential. Up to date though, that hasn't been the case even with the introduction of affordable performance options. I guess I'm scratching my head as to why the SC430 hasn't become tuners choice.

Eric
Old 08-13-07, 09:32 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Simple answer=price!

Only recently have used examples come down to a price where tuners could afford them in more numbers.
Not many take a 65k car and start ripping it apart.

The Supra was meant to be a sports car and the SC430 more of a sporty cruiser and never meant to really replace anything that existed at the time.

That stated, whatever you want can be had for the car at a price. Superchargers, turbos, intakes, gears, brakes, trans mods, exhaust,etc.... it's all there. Depends on what you want out of it and your take on the car. Some people would never mod their car to begin with regardless of the make/model whereas others mod anything they can their hand on. I would consider myself the latter.
Old 08-13-07, 09:47 PM
c0wboy
Banned

I thought about the price, but then it hit me that many other higher priced cars get modded nearly out of the box. With the halt of the MKIV, the only Totota product that comes close to it's HP potential would be the SC430. I was talking with a fellow industry guy and I was telling him that I really wish the SC430 population in general was more interested in performance. Like 650HP and above performance. The car looks the part, has the right recipe to make the power, but so far what's slowed parts developement over the years has just been a lack of interest. It's a shame too, because I think the SC430 is 10 times more refined than the MKIV with just as much HP lieing in wait.

Eric
Old 08-13-07, 10:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

price is one of the factors but not all. you have to look at the target audience the sc430 is for. it's never been meant for performance drivers imho. it's luxury cruiser, for people who enjoy lifestyles and such, nothing like racing down every street or having more than 600hp in order to be "standard". with that kind of audience, it's hard for this car to go down that path.

there are members going after performance, some with FI and one guy had the car almost completely redone with like 600 or 700rwhp. so they are out there, just very few.

and unless those people leave the scene as well as the price of the car drop to the current level of high 20s to low 30s, we wont' see much tuners on this car
Old 08-13-07, 10:30 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by c0wboy
I always looked at the SC430 taking the place of the MKIV Supra once the Supra was legislated out back in '98. It's certainly got the style, and tons of power potential. Up to date though, that hasn't been the case even with the introduction of affordable performance options. I guess I'm scratching my head as to why the SC430 hasn't become tuners choice.

Eric
This one is yours.
Only $99,000 and it is definitely cheaper than the LS600h.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=sc430
Old 08-14-07, 12:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh interesting, didn't know he's trying to sell the car.
Old 08-14-07, 06:48 AM
margaux01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
price is one of the factors but not all. you have to look at the target audience the sc430 is for. it's never been meant for performance drivers imho. it's luxury cruiser, for people who enjoy lifestyles and such, nothing like racing down every street or having more than 600hp in order to be "standard". with that kind of audience, it's hard for this car to go down that path.
You hit it right on...
Old 08-14-07, 06:56 AM
c0wboy
Banned

That's actually not a bad price for what's in the car. There are a few MKIV's that are commanding 80K -110K prices right now.

Eric
Old 08-14-07, 07:15 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by rominl

there are members going after performance, some with FI and one guy had the car almost completely redone with like 600 or 700rwhp. so they are out there, just very few.

and unless those people leave the scene as well as the price of the car drop to the current level of high 20s to low 30s, we wont' see much tuners on this car
The SC430 was definitely not aimed at the HP lovers, but now that the car are more avaiable, and also that the parts are much more available, I'm very surprised that there's not more street killer SC430's out there. The car has sooo much potential other that heavy wheels and JDM tyte body kits. The car has the makings of a real supercar if the owners would be more into it. You guys know what this car could do with 650rwhp? With more? Lexus luxury + MKIV Supra level HP = a pefect package.

Eric
Old 08-14-07, 08:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

The SC430 was definitely not aimed at the HP lovers, but now that the car are more avaiable, and also that the parts are much more available, I'm very surprised that there's not more street killer SC430's out there. The car has sooo much potential other that heavy wheels and JDM tyte body kits. The car has the makings of a real supercar if the owners would be more into it. You guys know what this car could do with 650rwhp? With more? Lexus luxury + MKIV Supra level HP = a pefect package.

Eric
look at the 2gs. it's not until last year, when the price point was in the high 10s to low 20s, before even more people stepping in and going up high on the performance side. the sc430 right now is still "expensive" to the tuner's world (and sometimes, the younger world), plus the fact that the car didn't start out for the same group of audience, that's probably why
Old 08-14-07, 04:49 PM
c0wboy
Banned

It looks like the SC430 has an entry price range of 23K-28K, and that's pretty much in line with clean MKIV Supra prices. I suppose the car wasn't aimed at exact same market as the MKIV, but I believe the markets are more similar than they appear. Back when the MKIV was released, it was billed as a more civilized sport car than the choices available at the time. Pretty much same idea as the SC430 with it's 2 seats, 32 valve V8 and hard roofed convertable top.

I like the MKIV as much as anyone, I have a '97 myself, but the idea of a 650HP - 900HP SC430, SC500, possibly even SC540 is very appealing. It's got the potential to be a modern day super car.

Eric
Old 08-14-07, 05:12 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

It looks like the SC430 has an entry price range of 23K-28K, and that's pretty much in line with clean MKIV Supra prices. I suppose the car wasn't aimed at exact same market as the MKIV, but I believe the markets are more similar than they appear. Back when the MKIV was released, it was billed as a more civilized sport car than the choices available at the time. Pretty much same idea as the SC430 with it's 2 seats, 32 valve V8 and hard roofed convertable top.

I like the MKIV as much as anyone, I have a '97 myself, but the idea of a 650HP - 900HP SC430, SC500, possibly even SC540 is very appealing. It's got the potential to be a modern day super car.

Eric
Eric
You have answered your own question on this a few times. Your trying to compare this car to a Supra. Many are home shaking their heads at that. How many cars out there are supported like the Supra? Very small number of cars including a great many sports cars. The very fact that you have brought it up should tell him that the car is not and never was intended for what you are asking. It is as simple as that and no more than that.
But...for those that want to tune their SC430 the parts are there. Again I already stated all of that. So it really depends on what YOU want. If you are looking for Supra support then you may as well ask the LS430 guys the same thing, how about the LX470 and GX470? Again, they are not designed or meant to be a Supra. Only you seem to be inclined that the SC430 is the Supra alternative from lexus/Toyota. It is not even close to it.
Everything is what the owner wants to make from it.

How about this question, what is it you want for a SC430 that does not already exist?
Brakes are there, exhaust is there, intake is there, blowers are there, turbos are there, suspensions are there. So what are you looking for? It's all there, just not in the numbers the Supra has. There are also a many members here with performance items of some sort on their SC.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 08-14-07 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-14-07, 06:17 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Eric
You have answered your own question on this a few times. Your trying to compare this car to a Supra. Many are home shaking their heads at that. How many cars out there are supported like the Supra? Very small number of cars including a great many sports cars. The very fact that you have brought it up should tell him that the car is not and never was intended for what you are asking. It is as simple as that and no more than that.
But...for those that want to tune their SC430 the parts are there. Again I already stated all of that. So it really depends on what YOU want. If you are looking for Supra support then you may as well ask the LS430 guys the same thing, how about the LX470 and GX470? Again, they are not designed or meant to be a Supra. Only you seem to be inclined that the SC430 is the Supra alternative from lexus/Toyota. It is not even close to it.
Everything is what the owner wants to make from it.

How about this question, what is it you want for a SC430 that does not already exist?
Brakes are there, exhaust is there, intake is there, blowers are there, turbos are there, suspensions are there. So what are you looking for? It's all there, just not in the numbers the Supra has. There are also a many members here with performance items of some sort on their SC.
The part that leaves me scratching my head is the notion that the SC430 was never meant to make the level of power of the MKIV. Honestly the MKIV was never mean to make the power is does now. We here in America push the MKIV far and hard [while overseas that's not the case]. The SC430 is the same wolf in sheeps clothing.

As far as asking the same question to LS430, LS470, and GX470 owners, that gave me a chuckle. We both know the answer to that.

I guess what I'd like to see is more SC430s living up to their potential. It has soooo much. I remember talking with AAP about their SC430TT, and how they had high hopes for the platform but even after the magazine and TV coverage, the platform just faded away. Now that may be because of the project figures they were quoting, also. But now, it's a new day with a ton more V8 parts on the market, so I still am holding out hope that the SC430 makes 650HP ranges regualrly. Maybe it's a hope for the future of the platform.

Eric
Old 08-16-07, 08:29 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

I agree with you cOwboy. The SC430 already has the aftermarket support for suspension(sort of), brakes, and aerodynamics, but it definitely lacks in the engine/drivetrain department. I know there are superchargers out there and even turbo kits, but no one has addressed building the motor and doing transmission mods. The SC430 really is a wolf in sheep's clothing. It has a ton of potential and can really be a refined modern day Supra in my opinion.

A stroked twin turbo SC430 with a 6 speed conversion may be one of the best non-exotic fun to drive vehicles....800+ hp should be easily attainable while retaining nice street driving characteristics because of the V8 torque. I am watching the developments very closely myself and am definitely considering making my SC430 a street terror if funds allow. I figure for another $15k-$20k I can have all the mods done to be pushing 800hp or more so for a total investment of about $60K including the purchase price of my car I can have a car that will decimate almost every supercar(Z06, Viper, F430, Murcialago, etc) in a straight line and still have a sleek looking luxury car that is very refined and a hardtop convertible to boot!!! I know it will never handle like the above cars, but that is not my intention. That $60K is still less than most heavily modded and quality built Supras out there too!!!

Just my $.02, but I applaud cOwboy for helping spearhead the V8 engine performance development.

Last edited by BoostAddct; 08-16-07 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-16-07, 08:38 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Actually a stroker kit is/will be available from JPI. See other thread.They also have another TC and another option for headers. It is all about supply and demand-not just posting and talk. Many say they are going to purchase or would purchase but when it comes right down to it, most do not even when things are available. A 6 speed conversion kit is available-yet only 1 or 2 really jumped on it. Now take a look at the SC300 crowd. The cars themselves can be had for 3-4k nowadays so that leaves more money left over for mods plus ripping into a 3k car is not as posing as it is a 30k -60kcar. Not many are willing to do this with a car in this price range still. Most Supra Turbo owners do not drop 20k in their motors either-only the extreme do. A nice supercharger kit from RMM was available for the GS400 for a long time and was not reordered because the initial batch of 25 finally sold out and demand was very low (I bought kit 23). Again, so many came forward saying they would buy one but did not and the kit was only $4500.00.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 08-16-07 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Was the SC430 meant for more; can it achieve more?