SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Replacing Wheels & TPS - where did you go/trust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 01:45 PM
sexylexysc430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Wheels & TPS - where did you go/trust?

It's time to replace my wheels due to curb rashes and dents. I'm looking at getting the OEM 2006-07 wheel (obviously TPS compatible), but wondering where I should take my 2002 for the service.

My local Lexus dealer $340 to mount/balance the tires and move the sensors onto the new wheels.

Costco only wants $40 to remount the tires onto the new wheels. I asked if they were familiar with the Lexus TPS and they said yes, but that I should "check with Lexus" to see if I needed to buy any additional parts (mounting kit - washers, bolts, etc), or need the to recalibrate the computer system after installing them. From what I understand you can reuse all of the sensors and mounting hardware without recalibrating the computer, which leads me to be a little uneasy trusting them, since the sensors are quite pricey to replace.

For those of you who replaced your wheels, where did you go? Did you run into any issues reusing the sensors and mounting hardware on the new wheels? Did you have to buy any new hardware?

I read Lee's post on "Wheels Sensor Information/PICS -SC430" https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187558
but this seems mostly to apply to aftermarket wheels.
Old 08-14-07, 02:02 PM
lweisenb
Driver School Candidate

I would at least go to a larger wheel specialty store (Discount Tire, Belle Tire, American Wheel, ect) or boutique wheel store. Costco probably would do an ok job but why chance it. As for $340 thats a total rip-of. $40-60 sounds about right, any more and I would question why if you are going from one tps compatible rim to another.
Old 08-14-07, 02:20 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, nowadays I really do not trust many of the shops out there,especially with wheels. My decision on who touches my wheels is based on whether the company is large enough to handle any damage after the fact without much grief. I have seen/experienced a great many issues with the large tire places as well. In fact they ruined more than a few tires and wheels on my cars. This is why I stick with a certain tire guy once I find them as the sign outside means little, it is the person changing the tire that matters. I had young kids at major tire shops that just destroyed tires and wheels.
As far as moving the sensor over. This would be a non issue as the TPS just fits fine. No additional hardware needed though I would recommend a TPS installation kit which has new rubber o-rings. Why reuse the old ones just to have them leak? I believe Ebay always has the kits for sale.
I would firsts ask before having anyone touch my car what type of guarantee they offer if a wheel /tire is damaged.
Sensors-most likely nobody will take responsibility on them.
Let us know

Last edited by Pearlpower; 08-14-07 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-14-07, 04:20 PM
bfigard
Rookie

Allen Tire Co. charges $20 to mount and balance a tire.
Road Hazard included if you buy the tires through them.

Or, ship directly to your local Allen Tire from tirerack.

They are careful and experienced with the sensors.
Not that I care anymore as the batteries on your sensors go dead after 5 years or so. I unplugged the TPS warning light rather than spend a few hundy to replace sensors (necessary only for runflats).

Found 2006 OEM wheels for my 2003 SC for $400 on eBay (takeoffs from an upgrader), sold my 2005 wheels for $250 also on eBay. Allen Tire swapped the rims and sensors for $80. I buy the Generals on tirerack, so I can get my baby a new set of shoes for $500 installed. Don't notice any noise, and they wear pretty well.

If you have standard tires, the only benefit of functioning TPS would be if you have a tire going down as you are about to take a corner hard. Do you really need to see the light on your dash to know you have a flat when your car is obviously leaning to one corner and handling poorly?

If you're buying tires at Costco and don't need your sensors to work, have at it. Otherwise, trust someone with more skilled mechanics.

Last edited by bfigard; 08-14-07 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-14-07, 06:44 PM
sexylexysc430
Driver

I just received another quote from a different Lexus dealer (a bit further away) for $200+tax (vs $340 at my local dealer). Hard to imagine Lexus dealers vary so much in price for the same service.

The TPS mounting kit is only $5.45 from Sewell/beta.lexus-parts.com, so I might just end up picking up a set of four. I believe they're having a free shipping promotion right now too but not sure. However, if I do end up getting it done at the dealer I could just probably just get it through the service department during the service.

It might be less of a hassle to get it done at the dealer just in case Costco breaks one of the sensors.
Old 08-14-07, 07:48 PM
DropTopSc
Driver School Candidate

i work for the dealer and yes they are expensive..but they will replace any part they break or damage because they know you are going to come back to them if there is a problem or the tire light comes on.$200 may seem alot but its not bad of a deal knowing its not going to be on your mind after the job is done.$340 is trying to get a big check at the end of the month..service writter is trying to nail you or he just doesnt like you.
Old 08-15-07, 05:27 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

On my '03 SC430, I replaced my OEM wheels with OZ Operas. I contacted Tire Rack, and they gave me the name of a local Meineke store. That particular Meineke location did an outstanding job with rims and tires. Later, I had them put L-tuned shocks and body kit on my GS as well. The guys at Tire Rack are knowledgeable and may be able to steer you toward someone in your area.

This time around I went to Sewell Lexus because I've moved. They replaced the OEM's w/ Tourmalines and Michelin P/S tires. They were expensive but worth it. The '06 OEMs were an improvement over the earlier ones but not by much. I love the Tourmalines.
Old 08-16-07, 11:55 AM
GEE-BEE
Pole Position

Check out the Lexus ISP wheels

The fit fine on my 2006 , TPS okay...
Old 08-20-07, 10:03 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The time when damage usually occurs with the sensors is when the bead of the tire is being installed or removed over the lip of the wheel. There is a certain way to fit the bead so it can squeeze onto the wheel, but the opposite side of the bead that is yet to be slipped by, will always be set into a channel in the wheel center portion. As long as you dont have the sensor clocked at this same location where the tire bead has to sit deep in the wheel (or squeeze by up and down during the installation), you will usually be ok.

The problem is, tire mounting is very bulky, and you dont have as much finesse control as you would like. If the gorilla installer has no desire to have any finesse or control....well....that's even more so when the problems arise.

In any case, it takes a lot of experience to know where to clock the sensors BEFORE you start trying to get the tire on the wheel. If you know ahead of time, it's no problem. If not, you stand a good chance of having yourself pushing or prying the bead in a position that puts the sensor in danger of being smashed or broken off or what not.

There is another trick that can be done too if the person is good, they can actually install/remove the sensor without even removing the tire. This takes a good amount of skill, but it can be done, but only on certain types of machines. Of course, this is only if it is being screwed back onto the original location, not any strapping-type install.

So yeah, you really have to know ahead of time the dangers with these sensors, and most tire installers don't bother to educate themselves or challenge themselves with the satisfaction of a job well done.
Old 08-21-07, 07:24 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

You also might want to consider the equipment they use in determining where to go. Some higher-end shops have a "load force" balancing machine which puts the tires under high load to insure uniformity when balancing.