SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

VAIS Technology XM Module

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 01:51 PM
SC430Sam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Is it possible to determine the version from the head unit -- i.e. its already installed?
I do not think so... That is why they recommended having it installed a little more accessible. You can get the radio ID (Channel 0) ....I know that..

Johnny, which device do you have... XM, Sirius, or iPod?
Old 09-20-07, 03:31 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SC430Sam
I do not think so... That is why they recommended having it installed a little more accessible. You can get the radio ID (Channel 0) ....I know that..

Johnny, which device do you have... XM, Sirius, or iPod?
Sirius.

With a better website, VAIS would sell a lot more of these. It is much better than I anticipated, with artist/song title/channel integrated into the factory radio display and complete control through the steering wheel controls or radio. This is an add-on which appears totally factory to me.

I once had the LOADING issue once when turning the unit on in the garage and then emerging outside, but turning the radio off/on fixed it. Still, its nice to have the lastest version.
Old 09-20-07, 03:46 PM
SC430Sam
Driver

Johnny, I understand the want for the new version. It just leaves a good feeling to have the latest version of anything. I saw where Surteco has his antenna...where is yours? Vais told me the front dash is fine, as long as it isn't tinted...which mine isn't. I just have to see if there is a place to mount the module where I can get to it, but not easily see it. Anyone have any suggestions on that?
Old 09-20-07, 07:26 PM
surteco
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sam, The installers had to remove the radio to do the install. They put all the components behind the radio. I realize this is not the best place but it does simplify the wiring, also have you looked under the seat? there is not much room there even for these small components. I am happy with everything now. I had to pay $75 labor for the installer to switch out the old component for the new ones. I did not like that but its not the end of the world. I would rather have a clean instalation. Surt
Old 09-20-07, 08:32 PM
SC430Sam
Driver

Yeah, I understand they remove the radio because they have to connect the radio harness to the Vais. I hope they can connect it and run the 4 foot cord to the area under the glove compartment tucked up in there. This was the harness would be there (until the radio was removed), and if I had to switch the Vais component I would just have to get up under the dash and unplug it. I have not studied it thoroughly, but this weekend I am going to figure it out, and take it in Monday to have it installed.
Old 09-24-07, 07:18 AM
SC430Sam
Driver

My car is in right now getting the componets installed. I will post results/pictures and give a satisfaction rating with it all later this week.
Old 09-25-07, 08:18 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Moose, I had my vaistech (Ipod variety) installed in my LS430 at Tweeter in Charlotte. If you're near here let me know and I can shoot you contact info for my install guy - he's very good.[/QUOTE]

DaveGS4 - Thanks for the info. I forgot all about Tweeter. I may check with them this weekend here in the Raleigh area to see if they will do the install. Did you have to purchase your satellite products through them and what were their hourly install charges?
Old 09-25-07, 10:32 AM
SC430Sam
Driver

Well it is all installed. One hour charge at $95/hour for the installation. I was unable to have the Vais module visible because the length of the wiring harness was not long enough. They installed the antenna on the right side of the dash. This is where they claimed it was getting the best reception. I have not lost any bit of reception yet around downtown Orlando and Winter Park. Very satisfied. Highly recommended modification for sure.

As for the XM service, I called them and let them know I had a new Lexus and wanted to activate my radio, and so he gave me a free three month trial (this is just supposed to be for cars that come factory with XM), so I got a little bonus there. I will call back in December to try to get some kind of deal with them. They are pretty flexible on promos and all.

Pictures will be up later this week...
Old 09-25-07, 11:11 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by moose66
DaveGS4 - Thanks for the info. I forgot all about Tweeter. I may check with them this weekend here in the Raleigh area to see if they will do the install. Did you have to purchase your satellite products through them and what were their hourly install charges?
Sorry I didn't do satellite - I did the iPod version of the Vaistech. I'm not sure of the cost but it wasn't too much. had them do the Vaistech, put in a CoastalTech Lockpick and run hardwire for my Valentine One all the same trip and it wasn't more than $150 I don't think. But I've spent big bucks with them in the past so I may have had a bit of a break.
Old 09-25-07, 11:38 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Understood. Thanks again for the feedback. I have contacted the local Tweeter and am waiting for a reply.
Old 09-25-07, 08:26 PM
SC430Sam
Driver

Here are some pictures of the text on the radio display. Backstreet Boys, reppin' Orlando:

XM Channel View:

XM Station Name:

XM Song Title View:

XM Artist Name:

This is the order that they appear as you scroll through the text option.

I will take some pictures of the antenna set-up when I get it cleaned up a little. I am deciding whether the right corner is where I want it. Pictures of that will come later. Love it so far!

Last edited by SC430Sam; 09-26-07 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-26-07, 05:40 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the pics. I just received all of my hardware this week and probably will have the unit installed this weekend. I still haven't decided where to put the antenna. The reception is most important, but I don't want to compromise the look of the car if I don't have to. If the antenna works well on the inside, that's where it will go.
Old 09-26-07, 12:49 PM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

I know it has probably been mentioned before, but I'll mention it now on this thread. For those that have decided to mount on the outside and on the vehicle via magnet.... use your touch up paint to paint the antenna. I have Sirus in my 4Runner and XM in my Camry and I did them both and it doesn't look bad at all. The 4Runner is mounted in the center above the windshield and the Camry's antenna is mounted on the trunk next to the spoiler. I've even thought about running the wiring through the spoiler and put the antenna in the center top position. Either way I don't think it takes too much away from the vehicle.

Now, you guys got me thinking about putting one in my SC...hmmm

lar
Old 09-26-07, 03:19 PM
SC430Sam
Driver

Here are two pictures of the install, 1 from the inside, one from the outside. I still am going to mess around with the location of where it sits now. I do not like the angle it is tilted at in the car. It is easy to move around though. Just lift up the double sided tape and retape it somewhere else.

View from the outside:

View from the inside:

Old 09-26-07, 05:37 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm just jealous that your display says 88 degrees outside.

Quick Reply: VAIS Technology XM Module