SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

VAIS Technology XM Module

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-07, 06:51 PM
SC430Sam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAIS Technology XM Module

I talked to my dealer, Lexus of Orlando, and they mentioned that they install a Vais Technology module that uses the factory radio. I want to know if anyone else has this installed, how well it works and just a little more information on it. Please let me know.

Thanks
Old 08-21-07, 08:00 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

There are 15 threads which mention VAIS. As I'm interested in this also, I've read them all.

Bottom line, most seem to have no problem with the Vais unit although it messed up one guy's nav system (but he had the old ML system and not the current one). Most people install in the ashtray.

If anyone has updated info or experiences -- esp head units since those change, maybe this could could be a new "master" thread for this topic. Pix always welcome!

P.S. The Vais unit with sat and iPod seems to be vaporware.
Old 08-22-07, 06:38 PM
surteco
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Vais

I purchased the unit for Sirius on ebay from intergration technology. Had it installed by a local shop ($160). Works great except I am having trouble hiding the antenna. I have it in the corner of the windshield, drivers side, edge of the hood. Not the best place but I did not want it visible. I am trying alternate locations. The unit works by pushing the AM button 2 times. With this you get 6 chanels on the preset buttons on the radio. A 3rd and 4th push give you a total of 18 presets. The Station comes on the readout on the radio. Pushing the text button on the radio gives you the title and artist, however the full text will not fit on the readout.

This unit is the best you can do. Everything is extremely small and once installed the only thing visible is the antenna. The reception and sound quality is as good as the factory unit in my infinity.

There is no interference with the nav unit on my car (07 model).

I found out about the unit from fun guy on this forum. Look up his threads for more info.

Check the price it is probably cheaper than at lexus. When you get the kit you will not believe it will work. I was shocked at the good results. Surt
Old 08-22-07, 08:37 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

A search in this forum only got this thread. Nor did Google help. Can you provide a link or more specific info on the manufacturer?

Also, can you control using the steering wheel?
Old 08-22-07, 08:56 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by surteco
I purchased the unit for Sirius on ebay .... Surt
Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
A search in this forum only got this thread. Nor did Google help. Can you provide a link or more specific info on the manufacturer?

Also, can you control using the steering wheel?
The search keywords would be something like "sc430 sirius".
Got it now?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ius&category0=
Old 08-23-07, 10:02 AM
surteco
Driver

Sorry about the incomplete info. The ebay post by Johnycake is th product I have.

Yes you can contron from the stering wheel.

I must add that I have a small issue which has come up 2 times in the last 2 days. Sometimes the readout shows LOADING and there is no signal. Normaly if there is a reception issue the readout will show NO SIGNAL. I don't know if this is at a time when Sirius is loading new info into the system or if it is a system failure on my end.

Each time it has occoured the reception comes back on in 5 to 10 min.

I will monitor.

In summary, for the SC there are only 3 choices regarding Sat Radio. 1. Plug and play system, not good. 2. Replace the complete radio system, worse. or3 the module we are discussing.

I think this is a good solution to a problem that Lexus should address on their own.

With instilation I have less than $500 in this system but I would have gladly paid $1000 or more to have something from the factory.

Surt
Old 08-23-07, 03:32 PM
SC430Sam
Driver

Was your unit installed by a Lexus dealer or did you have a local audio place install it? I know the unit runs for $225.00, so was install $275.00? I hate paying an extra $100-$200 just because Lexus is doing it. I called the local audio store in Orlando I usually go to, and they said they had never even heard of it and could not do it. That place is called Sound Advice/Tweeter. I am thinking about calling another store in town. There are quite a few, but just a few I trust though.
Old 08-23-07, 06:31 PM
surteco
Driver

I took a chance and went to a local sound/tint shop. They charged me $160 but they also hardwired my radar detector. Their charge was $60 per hour. I have no idea how long it took. I droped the car off and my wife picked it up while I was out of town.

I was reluctant to use this shop but they have been in business about 10 years and the lot was full of Porsches Lambo's and Mercedes. Since I had the cheapest car there I figured it was ok.

There is a complete instalation guide on the ebay site. It looks simple. Normally I would have tried it myself but I did not have the time and I was concerned about removing the radio which is necessary.

I am probably going to move my antenna to the center of the windshield up top. The reception where I have it in the lower drivers corner is just not good enough.

I also checked to see if you could get a Y connecter to use 2 antenas. But it is not available.

I also want to try it inside in the back just behind the glass windscreen. There is a pannel there that does not move so it can look up thru the rear glass.

I doubt this will work but I will try when I get the time.
Good luck. Surt
Old 08-23-07, 06:57 PM
guitarmike
Rookie

I have installed this system multiple times. The best reception you can get is with the antenna up front. I know it's not great, but considering the options of mounting the antenna it's choosing between heart disease and cancer. I have seen on more than one occasion that these episodes of "loading" or "no signal" tend to become more frequent and sometimes result in finding that the vais box is bad. That is the simplest way I can put it, but I have seen it. MOst of the time these units are pretty maintainence free. I really hope you enjoy. Let me know if there are any questions regarding the system. I have done all of the different accessory installations for our dealership for the past year.
Old 08-23-07, 07:20 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by talwang
The search keywords would be something like "sc430 sirius".
Got it now?
Not really. I was looking for information on the manufacturer of the unit -- such as a website -- not just an eBay listing. I like to investigate aftermarket products carefully before sticking them in my car.
Old 08-23-07, 07:35 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

http://www.vaistech.com/

...is the website of the manufacturer. I have the SLU. I have a 2003 SC430 so, I don't get all the fancy integration stuff, just plain ol' AUX inputs. But, it works great. The installation is very easy.

The hardest part is getting the dash apart for the first time (once you do it or see it done, it's easy...it's that first time that's like jumping off a cliff). Getting the climate control module out without damage is the scariest part (the instructions I used (which worked great) actually warned you that the module is easy to break if you don't do it right and VERY expensive to replace if you break it). Once you get the stereo out, you just unplug one cable from the back of the stereo, plug that into their harness, plug the other end of their harness back into the back of the stereo and put it all back together. There's room under the center console for the box.

I use mine for AUX input for my Sirius radio (installed in the ashtray). I installed the antenna on the trunklid, right by the 3rd brake-light. Hardly noticeable (black car and black antenna helps)

Here's a picture of where I put my antenna...

Sat Radio Antenna

While it's not an invisible antenna installation, I think it looks as "factory" as many other cars.
Old 08-23-07, 08:07 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

OK, now I'm really confused. So what's the difference between the units sold by Vais Technology and Integration Technology. Or is Integration Technology just a retailer for the Vais Technology units?

Anyone had one of these installed within a hundred miles of Washington, D.C.?
Old 08-23-07, 09:06 PM
SC430Sam
Driver

I called Ultimate Audio in Orlando today, and they said they knew about the Vais, but they install the Soundgate instead. They said it is just more of a preference thing. Does anyone know anything about this unit? It is basically the same thing from looks.

http://www.soundgate.com/
Old 08-23-07, 09:52 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

JohnnyCake. I have the VaisTech SLU in my car and I'm within about 8 miles of DC (Falls Church/Alexandria VA)
Old 08-24-07, 07:07 PM
surteco
Driver

Default Vais Update

To answer one question, Vais only makes the interface. Intergration Technology puts the interface with the XM or Sirius receiver along with an antenna.

I have an update on the reception. Today I moved the antenna to the center top of the windshield. The difference in reception is remarkable. I had no dropouts at all on my way home until I got on my street which has heavy trees. Then only a couple of times. This is similar reception to my Q56 which has factory Sat and 2 anatennas.

If you put the antenna here, you must put it as close to the top edge of the glass as possible or the windshield wipers will hit. You can put it on the metal but I think it looks bad. On the glass it blends in real well with the black just above the rearview mirrow mount inside.

I used silicone sealer to mount to the glass then I forced the wire down into the channel Between the glass and metal across to the drivers side and then under the rubber gasked down the side to the hood and then ran inside the door jam and in the dash.

Not the perfect solution but all in all pretty inconspicious and reception is great.

If I have any problems with this I will report. The only problem I can forsee is in a car wash and I do not use brush washes.

Surt

Quick Reply: VAIS Technology XM Module