SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Irk-gonomics

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-02, 10:01 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've seen your comments before, and I respect your opinion.
Maybe I'm becoming a snotty Lexus owner, but after almost 7 years of Lexus ownership, I've never had one with even the first squeak from it. And if there are any problems, Lexus and its dealers are right on top of it.

I agree that a home should be prepped for a kick-a** high-end system, but every part of a Lexus is highly integrated -- and they do it very well, all the way to rubber grommets for the screws that hold the tail lamps. My guess is that future versions won't have this issue, and older ones will have a fix for them. There's not a loose seam in the entire car.

I haven't taken it in to see if they have a fix for it, and I agree that Dynomat would be a fix. Again, maybe it's just me not wanting to let anyone else touch the car.

I'll keep you posted when I get it addressed. If the dealer says it's not a problem, then I'll investigate other options. And absolutely, thanks for the option.
Old 02-07-02, 07:27 PM
l3xus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had a door wood panel rattle when bass is set to medium or hi. This was really annoying, I wasn't able to enjoy the music. And one of the reason of me buying this car is because of ML system.

Story on my Dealer fix on Stereo Rattle:
- 1st time dealer suggested putting dynomat, when it's done the rattle was still there. And maybe the dynomat installer didn't install the insullation properly because the bass sounded different (not good!). I asked for dynomat to be removed. After 4 days, I was given back my car. Driver side rattle was 90% gone, but passenger side rattle still there. Took the car home.
- I brought the car back after dealer tech had a week training in NJ on SC430. Dealer worked on the car for about 1 week. When I got my car back, the rattle was gone. I was so happy!!!
NOTE: Dealer didn't replace any parts. They also notified me that some screw inside door panel was not tight and this may be one of the rattle cause.

Story on my Dealer fix on Roof Rattle:
- During my 2nd visit to fix door wood panel rattle, Dealer took apart the roof to find the rattle. They fixed the rattle and advise me to request roof hinges to be lubricated during next svc.
HOWEVER, after about 3 weeks, the roof rattle came back. And you might notice that if you apply a slight pressure on roof hinges behind you, the rattle will dissapear. I am thinking of lubricating it.

I just replaced run-flat with S03 today. After a couple of days/hundred of miles, I'll let you know if this "smoother" ride will eliminate roof rattle problem.

AB
Silver/Saddle
Old 02-11-02, 04:48 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Here is my experience with the dealer today. I took in the SC430 (with 2466 miles on it) this morning to look into the door rattles, as well as the top banging down, and the C-BEST options.

I used Stereophile's Test CD #1, tracks 20-31, which produce a warble tone at different frequencies, from 1kHz to 20Hz. I found that the doors rattled the most from 160 to 63Hz. I left the CD installed so that the dealer could address the issue without searching for something that would reproduce it.

Here are the results from my service invoice:
PART# - DESCRIPTION - QTY - AMOUNT
0823100801 - Noise Kit - 1 - WARRANTY
0823100810 - Wind Noise Kit - 1 - WARRANTY

Condition: Customer hears a rattle from both door panels
Cause: Loose screws in wood trim pieces
Remedy: Insulated wood trim pieces in door panels

NO CHARGE! Nice. And NO RATTLES! Very nice!

As for the top banging down, they said that it doesn't happen any more than was seen with other models, so they didn't adjust it. I can't blame them. I can handle holding it just a little to ease it in.

Lastly, the C-BEST options. I have a complete list for ALL Lexus' models, and will be posting the info in another thread soon. It's a link to my web site.
Old 02-11-02, 07:22 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anitgeek check the FAQ Sticky above for the C-Best thread.. Manaray posted it up awhile back..

Ken
Old 02-11-02, 08:09 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

I'm sorry I missed that.
I created Word and RTF files of the options.

If you want a copy, go to:
http://www.theantigeek.com

and right-click the links to save the file.

Last edited by antigeek; 03-06-02 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-17-02, 02:20 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

One more idea on the "bump" when the top comes up.
Hold down "CLOSE" until the top is a few inches from the windshield, then release it. The top will continue to go up slowly.
When it connects with the top, hold down "CLOSE" again until the operation completes.

A simple fix, and it works.
For me, I've been concerned that letting it keep banging into the canopy would weaken the connections over time, and maybe leak.
And it doesn't sound good.
Old 02-19-02, 10:49 AM
Exhaloprez
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Separation of plastic near near front seat

On the driver's side near the seat release handle the plastic is separating. More specifically, two plastic parts click together but, it keeps coming apart. Not the end of the world but I wonder if anyone else has this problem and how they fixed it.
Old 03-04-02, 01:18 PM
CyberRuler
Driver School Candidate

Default Plastic cover

I had the same problem of the plastic cover separating. I had the dealer fix it at no cost. It takes a couple hours as they have to remove the seats.
Old 03-04-02, 01:55 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Default Another plastic woe

Today, I noticed that the center separator for the cup holder has two small plastic tabs on the inside (left side) that have broken. It doesn't seem to affect it's normal uselessness, but...
Old 06-30-08, 11:15 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only will it get rid of the rattle, it'll make your system sound MUCH better!

Originally Posted by LexusSC430
LOL.......Im getting tired of saying this, but the rattling can be easily fixed by using dynomat. Its available at any stereo shop. It doesnt need to be placed in the wood, but rather in the door...its stops the vibrations before it gets to the wood or wherever. A good shop will sound proof the entire car to the point of where a bomb could go off outside the car and you wouldnt know it. They use this stuff on competition cars with 20 12" bass-kicking speakers and its very effective. It can get very expensive though, there are different levls and its ually adhesive (with a hair dryer) but the do have injection type.

Think about it guys if mark levinson is doing a house system do you not think he uses similar stuff to soundproof the house???

As for replacing the doors and etc, IMHO I WOULD not want a dealer replaced door or panel. I would leave the factory parts as much as possible, unless there is a serious defect.
Old 07-01-08, 10:35 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow, nothing quite like reviving a SIX year old thread!

I've got the wood-trim door rattle. I tried getting the dealer to fix it but, they said that "trim pieces are not covered under the CPO warranty." One of these days I'm going to pull the doors off and fix it; it's annoying.