SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Headlight Auto Leveling Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 07:29 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Is there a model year that the headlight auto level was introduced on the sc430 or did it always have this feature?
Old 10-13-11, 08:28 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

It's on my 02 and that was the first year for the SC430
Old 10-14-11, 11:22 AM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Well they adjust the lamps as the load changes in the car. Think about it this way...if you were carrying a heavy load in our spacious trunk and did not have a headlamp leveling system, the lamp would be raised upward, or pointing skyward. A direct result of the loading on the suspension while reducing the effectiveness of the lighting.

"The Headlamp Control System takes care of refocusing the beam back on the road automatically. Sensors on the front and rear axle detect the horizontal level of your car and adjusts the lights according."
Hi Bob,

The BMW 8-series cars that were for the non-USA market have this system.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 10-18-11, 08:26 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I think my auto-leveling sensor is going. Sometimes, when the car is idling with the headlights on (like in a parking garage where I can see the lights shining on the far wall), I can see an up-and-down flicker. the leveling motors are clearly activating up and down, jittering. (This is after the "down-up-level" initialization)

The car is going in for the 90K service (timing belt and whatnot) soon so, I'm going to see if I can get them to just replace the sensor.
Old 10-18-11, 11:43 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I recently confirmed that my auto leveling is working. Great! I thought the repair shop screwed me over.

Last edited by mandyfig; 10-27-11 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-27-11, 08:57 AM
Bubbam19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My passenger side door lock does not open with the remote key opener. Any thoughts of what to look for?
Old 10-27-11, 01:06 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubbam19
My passenger side door lock does not open with the remote key opener. Any thoughts of what to look for?
Hi Bubbam19,

Are you pushing to UNLOCK button twice? I push mine once for the driver's door only & twice ( in quick succession ) for both doors.

Hope that this helps,

Jerry Baumchen
Old 10-28-11, 05:56 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi Bubbam19,

Are you pushing to UNLOCK button twice? I push mine once for the driver's door only & twice ( in quick succession ) for both doors.

Hope that this helps,

Jerry Baumchen
This is also a programmable (dealer-only) C-BEST setting.

I have mine programmed so that I press the Unlock button once, and it unlocks both doors. Makes life SOO much easier!

If there is some odd reason where I simply have to ONLY unlock the driver's side door, I can use the key (this situation has NEVER come up).
Old 10-31-11, 08:50 AM
Bubbam19
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I'm pushing the button twice. Lexus said it may be a wire some where, they said it would be expensive to trace the wires. Any tips where to look.first?
Old 10-31-11, 11:51 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Were you pushing the button with the headlamps and ignition ON? If not, try it that way. If that is not the problem then the first thing I'd check is the 30Amp H-LP CLR fuse in the engine compartment. You'll find it in the long fuse block next to the battery. When you open the block's top cover find the fuse schematic inside. If you have a flashlight you can peer into the square fuse and see if it's blown.
Old 02-12-12, 07:18 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I had to bring this up again.

My leveler has been working but has been screwed up. It was constantly going up and down without changes to the car. It was annoying. And I was going to call the shop who did the repair from the accident.

Then last night my light was finally always on. And the leveler is not working anymore. I must take it back to the shop who did my repair. Can be sensors or even the motor themselves. Could have been from the damage from the accident.
Old 08-25-20, 07:23 AM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Habious
Mrblister,

Best way to see the auto-leveling in action is to start the car inside somewhere. when the car starts, the headlights come on and, if you look at the wall in front of you, you'll see them go down...then back up again. That's the auto-leveler calibrating the headlights.
I recently realized that our 01 RX 300 is not doing this anymore, I don't see any warning light on the dash and the lights seem to be at a normal level. Where to start to figure out what happened? 180K on the car.

thx

bob
Old 08-27-20, 11:17 AM
JHNSTN
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have an 02 and the headlights, for the most part, are pointed straight down. It does not have the auto-leveling feature that I know of. The shop that did the belts and water pump say they have maxed out the adjusters and can't do anything else with it. We just drive with the hi-beams on all the time, it only seems to bother Ford F250 drivers.
Old 08-28-20, 04:52 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Did you see VVTiBob's post #12 in this thread?
Old 08-28-20, 05:07 PM
steelgtr
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
It could be they did not re-connect the auto height control level system, or it could be the Headlamp leveling ECU is fried or maybe the motor, or the sensor may have been damaged in the collision and they didn't realize it .... time to get under the car and check it out.
Where is the ECU or related fuse?

bob

Quick Reply: Headlight Auto Leveling Not Working