SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

bb's in the dash?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 10:47 AM
kleef
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bb's in the dash?

Earlier this year I posted a thread called "Strange Gravel Noise," relating noise I heard somewhere in the car on cold days right after starting the car and driving. It seemed to stop when the car got warmed up. Since the days have not been cold in months, this sound disappeared (at least for now). But at the same time, another (possibly related) sound started: When I am at a stop (brakes applied) and then start moving, it sounds like BB's are rolling around somewhere deep inside the dash. Although, the sound might be transferring from somewhere else.The sound disappears after a second or two. It happens whether the a/c is on or off. Does ANYONE have an idea what it could be? I will probably have to bring the car back to the dealer. This all started right after my 30K servicing last January!
Old 09-21-07, 02:58 PM
Phu
Pole Position

I've have the same issue with my SC. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 09-21-07, 03:20 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

maybe some loose screws they forgot to screw back in after the service?
Old 09-21-07, 03:49 PM
kleef
Rookie

In my case I don't believe it's loose fasteners, since I only hear it after the brakes have been applied.
Old 09-22-07, 04:46 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

How many miles on your tires?
It might be the traction control that was kicking in.
Turn the VSC off to see if it still happens.
Old 09-23-07, 01:08 AM
paul_k
Rookie

Could be the ABS / Stability control pump?

This typically works first thing when started, when traction control or stability control is activated also under electronic brake distribution conditions due to uneven or different friction surfaces at the wheels. I dont think the pump works under normal braking conditions unless a self check is commanded from the ECU.

Air in the ABS system if not bled properly can make the pump sound louder.

In some cars it can be quite noisy...

Last edited by paul_k; 09-23-07 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-23-07, 07:59 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

I'm hoping it's not anything like the problem we have with the GS'. That sound is water running from a cracked evaporator core on the GS. Check to see if any of your carpet is wet on the driver or passenger side foot well. If that is the case, then it's possible it may be the same thing... Either way, it sucks...
Old 09-24-07, 06:23 AM
98LexSc400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My car is at Lexus for the second time in 2 months for this sound. It's a very weird noise I don't even know how to describe it but it does sound like it's is from the dash or steering column area. I notice it after a take off and through turns but it is not always constant it comes and goes sometimes I won't hear it all day. But it always seems to be worse when I am by myself in the car. I have played with the air on/off traction control on/off changed tires and moved the steering column around while driving and just can't pinpoint it. And of course everytime I take it in they cannot get the car to duplicate the sound even when I take a technician on a test drive no sounds. Now I am just about out of warranty and I am worried it's never going to get fixed whatever it is. My car is also an 03 and it started this with 36k miles I hope someone figures out what it is.
Old 09-24-07, 07:46 AM
kleef
Rookie

My tires have about 10K on them. I'll try turning off the VSC.
Old 09-24-07, 07:48 AM
kleef
Rookie

Originally Posted by 98LexSc400
My car is at Lexus for the second time in 2 months for this sound. It's a very weird noise I don't even know how to describe it but it does sound like it's is from the dash or steering column area. I notice it after a take off and through turns but it is not always constant it comes and goes sometimes I won't hear it all day. But it always seems to be worse when I am by myself in the car. I have played with the air on/off traction control on/off changed tires and moved the steering column around while driving and just can't pinpoint it. And of course everytime I take it in they cannot get the car to duplicate the sound even when I take a technician on a test drive no sounds. Now I am just about out of warranty and I am worried it's never going to get fixed whatever it is. My car is also an 03 and it started this with 36k miles I hope someone figures out what it is.
The sound is kinda mysterious for me because it's really hard to identify exactly where it originates. Sometimes it sounds deep in the middle of the dash, other times more forward of that. Never at the steering column though. It might be worse when stopping on a slope, it seems. Not sure about that though. Very irritating!!
Old 09-24-07, 08:00 AM
98LexSc400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I said steering column I was just referring to the area. It is behind the steering wheel but deeper in like behind the instrument cluster but maybe lower. I have even tried to record the sound while driving but I always get to much background noise. But the sound does sound like something almost rolling around in the dash at times.
Old 09-24-07, 09:08 AM
talwang

Watch this Video below.
If it is the same bb's you were talking about, then it is the VSC thing.
BTW, VSC is always on by default. You need to turn it off everytime you restart your engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1gJiVpZf34
Old 09-24-07, 04:02 PM
dogwalker
Driver School Candidate

Wink Try changing the AC mode button

Hi there,

I had the same issue in my '02 SC430 and the noise went away when the Vent mode button was changed from dash to both dash and foot vent or to defrost for example. Seriously, don't know the cause, but this did the trick.

Last edited by dogwalker; 09-26-07 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-24-07, 06:06 PM
talwang

I'll change the AC mode tomorrow to see if I can experience the same bb noise.
Old 09-25-07, 08:44 AM
kleef
Rookie

Originally Posted by talwang
Watch this Video below.
If it is the same bb's you were talking about, then it is the VSC thing.
BTW, VSC is always on by default. You need to turn it off everytime you restart your engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1gJiVpZf34
i'll check out the video tonight... anyway i tried turning off the VSC this morning and still the same sound.

Quick Reply: bb's in the dash?