SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC 430 in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-02, 01:36 PM
therocker
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC 430 in the snow

Now that many SC 430 owners have had their first taste(s) of snow since owning the car, how have those of you without snow tires, thought the SC handeled well in the snow? Was it very slippery. I have mine in my garage because my dealer said this car is not good in the snow. My previous generation SC's were not great in the snow, but not that bad either. Is it too dangerous to drive it in the snow without snow tires?
Old 01-08-02, 08:22 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

therocker,

Definately the runflats are CRAP in the snow just like any Summer Type tire.. If you want to run your baby in the snow please get dedicated snow tires or a really good set of all season tires.. I took the SC out one day for a drive to make sure the runflats don't go square on me and on the way home we got a few flurries but the snow was holding on the ground.. Traction control came on quite a bit which indicates these tires suck in the white stuff and I was being easy on the gas pedal too..

Hope that helps!

Ken
Old 01-09-02, 05:40 AM
therocker
Rookie

Yeah, thanks. Being that we get so little snow in these parts the past few yrs, I will only replace the runflats once the treads are low. I guess I won't drive in the snow.
Old 01-09-02, 04:29 PM
VASCER
Driver School Candidate

We don't get much snow in Virginia Beach but did get 8-10 inches last week. I was hesitant to take my SC to work the first day because I was afraid all the crazy drivers around here, who panic at the sight of a snow flurrie, would go out of their way to crash into me. We got an additional three inches the next night and I decided I would take it out to try it out in the snow. Let me state here that I do not have the run flats. My car came equipped with the other tires and the spare in the trunk. I switched the ECT control from power, which is where I normally keep it, to the snow setting. It seemed to accelerate a little slower and perhaps start off in a higher gear. Bottom line--it performed flawlessly. I did of course drive slowly and allowed plenty of room for braking but I had no trouble getting to work and back. The nest day it rained and there went all of the snow!
Old 01-12-02, 09:27 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VASCER....i used to live in Norfolk, VA and we were down there when it snowed those 13in. When we flew in it began to snow so we upgraded our rental to a 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Man am i glad that we did that but i got one question for ya. When all the snow was gone, did u wash ur SC b/c i know when we took the Jepp back to the airport, u could barely tell that it was suppossed to be dark blue.:eek: :eek:
PS: I'm glad to hear that ur SC handled well in the snow and im also glad that u protected it by not taking it out the 1st day b/c of the other drivers. We weren't gonna take the Jepp out but since that was our only vehicle and it was only a rental we were like fuc* it....lets go.