SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Dealer Dented Roof when in for service!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-07, 12:37 PM
98LexSc400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Dealer Dented Roof when in for service!

Has this happened to anyone else? I just went to pick up my car from the dealer it was in for some warranty work. My car was in the dealer for 9 days due to parts not being in stock I was told. And now this. I always take the time to walk the car when I pick it up from service well this time I didn't even have to it was plain as day on the driver side. The manager tried to say are you sure it wasn't there I said trust me I know every inch of this car. And that is a huge thing to stand out. So the manager said well lets see if there is a problem with your top contacting something when it opens. Well about the time I had the roof half down I hear the comments from the managers so I got out and there was the problem. Somehow the ashtray, one item that was replaced made its way to the trunk why the technician decided to keep the old part in the trunk beats me. Well we could all see the part it contacted that had been crushed and the indention in the carpet from the top making contact when it went down.

My concern now is the top is aluminum right? And the area dented is on the driver side of the back window. They are talking about pulling the dents and filling and painting. But I know it's not going to be the same once they paint something on a car. It doesn't match or they blend to the next panel so you can't see it then you have a rough edge from where the painter stops and can't buff properly. And usually I have some issue with over spray and damage to weather strip. And this top is pretty complicated compared to say a fender if they dented and had to fix.

Just wondering what I should do. Should they be replacing the top panel instead of repairing it? If anyone else has had something like this happen to them let me know.
Old 09-27-07, 12:46 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would push to have the panel removed before painting it. A good painter would be needed to blend it properly but done right you will never notice. A new panel? Not sure if they will go for that for just a dent and most if not insurance companies would pursue this in the same manner.
Though again, I would push to at least pull the panel before painting for the reasons you stated. In fact I am going out shortly to do a blend on one of my cars right now.
Lee
Old 09-27-07, 12:52 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

red isnt that hard to blend. if youre **** though, tell them you want the whole top repainted
Old 09-27-07, 01:22 PM
98LexSc400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I shouldn't have to accept something that wasn't as good as the factory did especially when it was the dealers fault not mine. So they should do the correct repair no matter the cost, not the cheaper way out. If aluminum is easily repaired I am ok with it as long as I can't tell. I wonder how involved the panel is to remove, because the dealer doesn't have there own body shop in house. They send it out, so I hope the body shop doesn't cause more problems removing the top to paint it. Since it doesn't look easy to work on the power top. I do agree that the panel should come off to fix it properly and I am also going to ask that the whole roof be painted.
Old 09-27-07, 01:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

accept to no deal except repainting the whole panel and also blend in to other panels. NO good body shops would agree with the suggestions they put up, period

really sorry to hear about your problem, but definitely stay persistent. it's your car and it's their fault, you have the right to do it right
Old 09-27-07, 01:36 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, the best way to paint that (depending on exactly where the damage is) is to paint over the repair ,then blend in to the same panel. Then finish with clearing the entire panel.
I prefer to keep things within one panel as it looks best but it cannot often be down depending on the size and location of the damage which then leads into blending other panels to get it right.
For example in my case, rear quarter and bumper is damaged (not the SC). So, I will be painting the rear quarter and the repaired portion of the bumper. Then blend same quarter and bumper into the existing paint. Then clear both the bumper and quarter to the door. It will look flawless afterwards (picture me knocking on compressed imitation wood).

The roof itself does not appear to be difficult to remove. Actually looks fairly easy to do.
Old 09-27-07, 03:10 PM
snobirds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also try to find out if it will show up on a Car Fax report.
Those reports come back to haunt you.

Man, I hope there is another Lexus dealer in the area,

I have had some luck with calling the corp Head quarters and filing complaints , they do listen

what do we need to take pictues of our cars before you go infor service,
make me think about, it,
Old 09-27-07, 03:37 PM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just let them repair it however they need to. If you aren't satisfied with the job, then complain until they make it right. Telling them how to paint your car won't help things. They are obligated to making it right and they know that.
Old 09-27-07, 03:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i don't agree, you don't want them to mess things up more and ask them to fix it again. do it once and do it right

unless the car is in an accident and insurance is called in.... otherwise it won't show on car fax.... (and even in that case it still might not show. that's how useless car fax is)
Old 09-28-07, 02:48 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the roof on my '03 SC430 dented several years ago by an imbecile who I had left it with for detailing (should have done it myself). Even though the roof was aluminum and the dent was fairly large, Dent Wizard was able to fix it with no painting. I would definitely look into paintless dent removal first.