SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Looking for Suspension Mod Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-07, 09:57 AM
dsimo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Suspension Mod Recommendations

I'd like to improve the handling of my SC to be closer to something, say, more BMW-like. So what is the first mod that I should try, (1) new sways, (2) new springs, (3) coilovers? I'm not going to be racing or anything like that, I'm not interested in reducing the ride height for the sake of looks alone, and ride comfort matters to some level given the potholes of the greater northeast US.

By the way, what exactly is a coilover? I mean, I'm not exactly a mechanic, but I can see that it looks like a strut inside a spring. So, does it replace both the strut and the spring?

I appreciate the guidance!
Old 10-19-07, 01:32 PM
bt430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dsimo
I'd like to improve the handling of my SC to be closer to something, say, more BMW-like. So what is the first mod that I should try, (1) new sways, (2) new springs, (3) coilovers? I'm not going to be racing or anything like that, I'm not interested in reducing the ride height for the sake of looks alone, and ride comfort matters to some level given the potholes of the greater northeast US.

By the way, what exactly is a coilover? I mean, I'm not exactly a mechanic, but I can see that it looks like a strut inside a spring. So, does it replace both the strut and the spring?

I appreciate the guidance!
Having come here from BMWs, more BMW like = less ride comfort. The Lexus ride is totally different. Here's what to do if you want to get close to a BMW feel. Put coilovers and sways on. Get a coilover that has some adjustable dampening ability so you can dial in what you're looking for. If you go with just the coilovers you will still have the body roll until you put on the sways. That combo will get you close to a BMW feel. If you want to keep some of the ride quality, keep 18" wheels on it, but go to a non runflat. I've got 20's on mine have the coilovers adjusted to the hardest setting and it feels close to the ride of my M5. I don't find it harsh on the roads around here unless I hit something really bad in the road which as you know is not that hard to do around here. I had Bilstein coilovers on my M3 now that was harsh!

BT
Old 10-19-07, 02:16 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Daizen sways and Tein or Tom's coilovers and you're there.

A coilover is BOTH the shock and spring in one device. It is adjustable and most brands can adjust car height, as well.
Old 10-19-07, 03:40 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This car will NEVER handle like a BMW. It's not designed to handle like a BMW. The best things would probably be coilovers, sways, and non-runflat tires. Even wider tires won't help. I think I recall someone tried the Tom's chassis braces but I'm to lazy to do a search to see how it went.

The most popular coilover within this forum is probably the Teins. I know one person who has the Advox and another person who uses Bilstein shocks with springs by ??? The Daizen sways are pretty popular: are there any other ones? Some have the strut tower brace but overall, there is a limit to the suspension improvements possible.

Believe me, there are several ex-Porsche ex-BMW people who would LOVE to replicate the handling and driving feel of their old cars but sorry, it has yet to be done. Most of us just accept the SC for what it is and not a BMW.
Old 10-22-07, 10:11 AM
dsimo
Driver

(Thought I made this post last week but I don't see it.)

Looks like the sways offer the best bang for the buck as well at about 1/3 the cost of the coilovers, so I will start here. I've not actually found any sways other than Daizens though I may have seen some discussion on TRD offering sways.

I am replacing my wheels with Enkei Tarmacs which should arrive this week (the BBS RKs that I previously posted on didn't work apparently because of the diameter of the center bore). I'm staying with 18x8 but with +20 offset all around. I've already replaced the run-flats with Pilot A/Ss.
Old 10-23-07, 10:03 AM
02Ku
Driver

Hey Dsimo,

I may be selling my SC which i currently have Daizen Sway bars. They made a huge difference in the handling. If you are interested, let me know if you would like to purchase them. Im thinking around 300 + shipping. I also have a set of Tein Coilovers. Purchased them from another member about a month ago. Never installed them. Ill let those go for about 800. (ill send you more details if you are interested) This is all pending on the sale of my car which may happen sometime at the end of this week. Ill update you then.

-Kunal
Old 11-27-07, 06:12 PM
guyc
Driver School Candidate

Btw did you ever sell your car? I might be interested in the coilovers as well? Let me know. Send me a pm if they are still available or if dsimo hasn’t already bought them or passed on them. Thanks