SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 problems please

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-07, 07:17 PM
Xk8007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 problems please

Hello to all, My name is ron, i am a former jaguar xk8 owner... please dont hate me, i know the sc430 and the xk8 are rivals from other continents . Im in the process of selling my xk8 becuase it truly is a problematic car... im on my 2nd transmission, my convertable top lines are in a compromising situation because its a hydraulic system, my timing chain tensioners are plastic and needs to be changed...... etc, etc, etc... the problems go on and on and on... Im in the process of shopping for a sc430 but i would like to know if there are any major issues with this car... and problems that are frequently encountered by the owners... is the convertable top a hydraulic system, or is it straight mechanical??? how reliable are the engines, transmissions... please inform me of any problems major and minor that is frequent... i took a beating with my jaguar and i dont think i can afford to be put thru the same all over again, thanks, RR.
Old 10-26-07, 08:06 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

A search on reliability will give you a ton of threads on this subject. To summarize: It is one of the most reliable cars every sold-period. No issues with the top mechanics-some noise/clunks at time is about it. You are going from one end of the spectrum to the other for sure.
Welcome aboard.
Old 10-26-07, 08:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

seriously, i have yet to see major problem on this car, although it's been out since 02. even the top, i don't see much failure cases here at all

this car is pretty amazing i have to say
Old 10-26-07, 09:58 PM
Xk8007
Driver School Candidate

sorry guys, im shopping for a 2002, are there any problems with the 2002 that the newer ones dont experience? usually they say the first year model has the most problems...
Old 10-26-07, 10:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i think some 02 owners have problems with the top not closing completely and have squeak, which are fixed. other than that, really don't recall anything

the drive train is the same on the gs430 and ls430, so you can see how solid it is
Old 10-26-07, 11:10 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Early models had rear end suspension clunk, gear shift TSB, some rattle in the top. A search will review you the rest as they have been addressed already. Nothing really problematic.
Old 10-27-07, 02:12 AM
paul_k
Rookie

Yes, A friend of mine had an older XK8 with similar problems to yours and the dealers charge rip off prices, most worrying on the XK8 is the nikasil bore coating with doesnt last long on the early ones...

The Lexus SC however is the best car in the world for reliability according to JD Power:

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?ID=2005069

Issues that I've had are minor eg front tyre inner wear, wheel corrosion, slight front wheel imbalance and stone chipping to the bonnet thats all. I've heard of oxygen sensors going at 90,000 miles but this is normal on most cars. The Engine and transmission is outstanding...

Paul
Old 10-27-07, 02:18 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

One constant problem when driving the sc430 is that complete strangers come up to you and say "Nice car!"
Old 10-27-07, 02:40 PM
Drimweaver88
Pole Position

Default SC430 problems

I used to have a 2002 SC430 and i dont recall any problems with it at all. My lease ended so i had to return it back. The one thing i can remember about it is the Run Flat Tires which i ended up replacing with a non RF tires and it was like night and day difference. Guess what i get for a replacement? a 2007 SC430!!!!! different color though!!
Old 10-27-07, 05:21 PM
Addiction2
Driver

I may be able to give you a unique, if limited perspective. I have owned the XK8 and the XKR, in fact about a week ago I traded my XKR for a 2002 SC430. I personally chose the 02 because I think a major model change has to be on the horizon and I didn’t want to take too much loss when I traded up.

I also didn’t have the kinds of problems that you did with your Jag because my issues occurred under warranty so I paid $75 for a new engine and transmission.

The first suggestion is if you are not buying private buyer and your near a Carmax you should consider shopping with them. No I don’t work for Carmax but I’ve bought my last 4 cars there and it’s an awesome process. The warranty on my 2002 is 90,000 miles 6 years from my date of purchase and it covers everything except glass and hoses for the most part with a deductible of $75 to have your car fixed directly by Lexus (thus my $75 engine and transmission). You also get 5 days to return the car no questions asked and they fix everything at no cost in the first 30 days.

OK on to the comparison. So far in my week as a Lexus owner I’ve found it to be a flawless car. Its just different than the XK and I’ll try to be as through in listing the differences as I can, tho they are fairly nitpicky.

- The XK, when you give it some go is a little more insistent. The SC is so insulated that you never get the throaty growl an XK gives you.
- The SC is more difficult to park. Until you get used to it the car feels like its all cabin and you can’t see the end of the hood or the trunk so it takes a little getting used too.
- Lexus has probably won an award for the most awkward arrangement of steering wheel audio controls. Seriously they could only be harder to use if they were on the back of the driver seat.
- In some ways the Lexus is less finished then the XK. I think overall the Lexus is nicer don’t get me wrong. But if you look at your dash in the XK you’ll notice that al three of those wood panels are cut from one piece of wood. The grain of all 3 pieces match up perfectly. In my SC those pieces of wood are all the same stain. But the grain does not match. Also in my XK when I went in reverse and turned the wheel then the mirrors would shift down appropriately so I can see the curb. Like the left mirror when I turned left, etc. In the Lexus both mirrors shift down in reverse (making even more difficult to judge the rear of the car).
- The SC has no pause button for its CD player.

If it helps any when I called Lexus today so I could get on the recall list I asked some questions and there appear to have been no issues. But my XK was called more often than a number on a public restroom wall.

If there is anything you want to take away from this comparison its this: when you get your SC make sure you get an ample warranty with it, that way your only inconvenienced if an issue arises instead of robbed.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-29-07, 08:49 PM
dsimo
Driver

I have an '02 with 40k miles and haven't had any problems at all other than the tire pressure sensors.
Old 10-30-07, 07:49 AM
Cruizing
Rookie

I have a 2002 with 50K on it. To add to the tire sensor replacement as the batteries die, I have had the passenger mirror replaced twice due to the motors stopping and need to get the trunk lifts replaced.
Old 10-30-07, 10:34 AM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Early models had rear end suspension clunk, gear shift TSB, some rattle in the top. A search will review you the rest as they have been addressed already. Nothing really problematic.
I searched for the "gear shift TSB" and came up empty. Any more info on that?

And for the threadstarter, check for clunking on cold start. Mine has been consistent and annoying. Even the weight of you getting in the SC can trigger it... or "K" turns will really get it going. Definitely check for that, cause its real annoying.
Old 10-30-07, 12:08 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Xk8007
sorry guys, im shopping for a 2002, are there any problems with the 2002 that the newer ones dont experience? usually they say the first year model has the most problems...
I had an '02 for 4 years - no problems.
the lease was up and I just released an '03, so far no problems (4 mos old)
The car is certified so it will be under warranty anyway for the term of the lease.

Something to consider, lease it as a certified car, comes with a 3 yr warranty. Then they get it back. Problems are theirs if any, but you still have to service it.
Old 10-31-07, 11:32 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tensi
I searched for the "gear shift TSB" and came up empty. Any more info on that?

I'm working on a thread for this fix, should be up in days with pics.

Quick Reply: SC430 problems please