SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

snow performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-07, 07:51 AM
bgsknkmac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow performance

Looking at buying a 2006 SC 430. I currently own a 2001 LS 430. My LS can go in the snow using snow tires. I live in Cleveland, OH, and sometimes it can get bad. Has anyone used the SC in a northern climate and does it handle in snow, slush; or should I plan on putting it up mid november through mid march? Thanks for the help. I've tried researching the internet but cannot get performance reviews.
Old 11-02-07, 10:23 AM
flash_e_gt
Rookie

Don't even try it.
I'm in Cincy, and we get alot less snow than you.

I tried last yearh...and I got stuck many a time. I got snow rims/tires this year.
Old 11-02-07, 02:40 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in the Greater Boston area and have a second set of wheels and snows(Blizzaks) I run all winter. For the most part the snows are a good choice just because of temperature but that aside I haven't got stuck yet. A talent for driving a rear wheel drive car in this climate helps, but if I know it's really, really bad(Nor'easter!) I just don't drive it. This is my second SC. I have an '06 and just love it. I wouldn't let the seasons stop you, just invest in a second set of dedicated wheels/snows and you should be good to go. I bought some OEM wheels on eBay and saved some. Good luck
JTMav
Old 11-02-07, 04:24 PM
Addiction2
Driver

I live in DC, not real snow bt an occasional dusting. Before the SC was an XK8, before that an SL500. I drive about 40 miles each way and I've reached the realization to take the bus when it snows.

However since there is a snow setting for traction control I'll try it on some short runs when it finally happens.
Old 11-02-07, 07:02 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Can't speak for the tires I currently have on the car (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S), since I just got them put on this summer but, last winter, when I was running the Dunlop DSST 5000S RunFlats, the car was HORRIBLE in the snow; and tires were BRAND NEW (got the car in November of last year, dealer installed new tires when I got it).

I'm also in the DC area. We had a pretty mild winter last year snow-wise but, when there was anything at all on the roads, even it snow-mode, the VSC was going nuts trying to keep me from just spinning my wheels; lights blinking on the dash, relay clattering away in the car.

I grew up driving in the hills of West Virginia, driving old Volvo's; I know how to drive a rear-wheel drive car in the snow, and this car was basically undriveable with any snow/ice at all on the road.

But, the Dunlop RunFlats were total crap with everything else (wore out fast, bad road noise, terrible ride) so, I'm really hoping for better results with the Michelin's; I can't imagine it being worse!
Old 11-05-07, 07:22 AM
02Ku
Driver

Thanks for the info on winter performance. It seems like many of you do not recommend driving the sc in the winter, however, I have to run it through the winter as this is my only car. I see no difference in driving the sc versus a infinity g35 coupe or even a civiv coupe. Same height off the ground, similar tires etc. Only difference is the rear wheel drive which can make it a little harder to handle in the snow, however, if you know how to drive in such weather you will be fine.

I need to get new tires very soon and just wondering if there are specific winter tires i should look at and tires i shouldnt even bother looking at. I need them in the next week so any info will be appreciated. Additionally, what is the largest tire size for the stock 18x8 wheels. Can i go up to a 255 for the rear? any info is greatly appreciated.

-Ku

Last edited by 02Ku; 11-05-07 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-05-07, 08:41 AM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ku, you might try an all season type tire. I've driven our LS 400 many times in the snow and found that the "snow" position of the transmission switch aided me greatly in the snow. Haven't tried it with our 04 SC as we just picked it up early this year. First SC action was to remove the runflats and replace with Bridgestone Potenza's, but haven't had them in the wet or snow to date.
Old 11-05-07, 04:45 PM
flash_e_gt
Rookie

There are many rear-wheel drives which drive well in the snow.
Unfortunately our big fat heavy V8 SC430's are not 50/50 weight distribution and definitely do not drive well in the snow. Don't waste your time trying with all seasons...it's not going to work.
Old 11-05-07, 05:02 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Anyone put chains (cables) on this car for getting up a hill?
Old 11-05-07, 07:47 PM
ecstaticSC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to drive your car in the winter, you MUST have snow tires. Any rear wheel drive car that is driven in snow will not do well on all seasons or the stock tires.
Old 11-06-07, 08:13 AM
02Ku
Driver

Thanks for the info - What tires do you all recommend. Blizzaks seem to be popular, but then ive looked at Michelin Ice-X and some continentals. Anyone try any of these and would recommend any.
Old 11-07-07, 05:52 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

Default snow is great......

dont' let anyone persuade you in not getting the SC430, just put dedicated snow tires!!!!!!

I have used Dunlops DSST snow tires on stock 18" wheels for two seasons now and it tracks like a tank......great in snow with the snow tires.

Make sure you have the "snow" button ON! Ground clearance on the SC430 is ok, so you don't have to worry about plowing snow when driving.

again, with snow tires, and snow mode on, you will be fine. drive slow, and you will be amazed how dedicated snow tires get traction going a steep hill! even from a dead stop on a steep hill, the tires are great, they dig in and get you the traction.
Old 11-09-07, 06:43 PM
tamblers
Driver School Candidate

This will be the first winter with my SC. I live in mid-western Canada where winter is the real deal. Not the snow levels of my maritime cousins but plenty nasty all the same. If you're wanting to use stock sizes the selection of dedicated snows is somewhat limited. I'm using a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. Since winter is late this year I can only say so far that they offer better handling in the dry than the Michelin Pilot A/S they replace. And quieter as well.
Old 11-09-07, 07:20 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

My biggest problem with getting/having dedicated snow tires is, I don't have a place to store the extra set!

We live in a condo. I have a parking SPACE, not a garage. I don't have a jack (other than the Tonka-toy in the trunk) or jackstands.

Even if I found a place to store the wheels, bought a decent floor jack and jackstands, our condo association doesn't allow you to work on your car on the property!

Yeah, it's a PITA. So, when there's snow on the ground, I drive the wife's Suzuki Vitara AWD
Old 11-10-07, 10:36 AM
SEVY B
Driver

Those of you who drive in snow conditions - do you guys use the "snow" driving traction control switch? Just wanted to know if there's a difference in handling vs. toggling the switch to "power" or leaving it in the neutral position.

Quick Reply: snow performance