SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 sc 430 navigation reads "no disk detected"

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-11, 06:51 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldnt find any for less today (sometimes you have to wait) but this one is at 300 plus 20 shipping right now

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/04-05...item4aaa965fb7

looks a little bit different, not sure if it has a cover on it because it was in a prius but the picture of the part # matches.

Just keep your eye out for the "best offer" option thats how i got mine for cheap because it's buy it now was 750.
Old 04-25-11, 06:56 PM
David M
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strange. It has the right part number but the box is completely different from mine. Anyone know if the guts are the same?
Old 04-25-11, 07:07 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...fAudioQ5fVideo

looks like it comes off check this pic out, they have it taken apart.
Old 04-26-11, 09:50 AM
jeffbayne
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, I have recently sold my 01 LS430. I bought a ppn13ka12c motor on ebay for $50 plus shipping- ridiculous price i know... but i thought I'd try it before buying a whole new unit. Anyway, I sold the car before I could try it, and the new owner didn't care about the navi. It is used, so I had an electrical engineer at my church test it.

He came up with:

No Load Measurement (room temperature)
V Supply= 2.002 Vdc - Test Condition
I Supply= 28.0 mA - Measured
I Supply < or = to 35.0 mA - Specification Limit

Stalled Measurement (room temperature)
V Supply= 1.980 Vdc - Test Condition
I Supply= 340.00 mA - Measured
I Supply < or = to 370 mA - Specification Limit

So, it works fine. I'd just like something back for it. I'm thinking $50 shipped, or best offer. Its just sitting on my desk otherwise.

thanks,
jeff
Old 04-26-11, 12:27 PM
David M
Driver

Sorry, Jeff, but you did get taken. Here is one example:
http://www.einsteinsrobotics.com/ind...od&productId=9.
Old 03-25-12, 07:35 AM
03RX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by David M
Hmmm, I can't get page '9' to show up. I click on '9' or the arrow and it still shows page 8...

Anyway, I have an 06 LS430 that is giving the same problem with the 'can't read disc' error and it won't eject. I have the drive out of the black box so some of the funcitons can still work on the dash. Note: with the gen 4, some of the dash functions do not work without the dvd in there, functions besides just the map display and navigation.

I don't know if the motor is different from the earlier units. The Toyota/Lexus part number on the drive is DVS-3010, and it seems the DVS-3150 is a later replacement. I found the drive available from the Netherlands but it's over $300 to get it here, total.

I'll try to replace this motor and see what happens. However, I can't see any motor with the circuit board still in place, so that will be next to remove.

IMO the best option is to replace the DVD mechanism with a solid state disk drive. Does anyone know the pinout of the connector cable, or better still have a source for an adapter cable to connect the flat cable to IDE or SATA? Most ssd's are SATA now.

If I can get to the motor and it's a different part number, I'll post that later.

Thanks,
David
OK...realize this post is a little old but...

Been working with this same problem. After much searching I was able of find the motor (ironically enough from Jeff above...thanks!). I ejected the disk and removed the drive, took everything apart carefully and resoldered the new motor in. Tested it with a 9V and seems to be working fine. (also tested the old motor, which also seems to be working so not sure if ultimately this will be my problem). Put everything back together and now the unit does nothing. Doesn't seem to power up, can't eject the disk tray to put the disk back in. I even tried with the cover off and see no activity in the unit. Something must be wrong, but I can't figure out what. I have double checked all the ribbon cables and believe they are seated correctly. Any ideas?
Also, what does the wheel at the end of the gear on the motor do? The one that goes into the slot past the worm motor?
Thanks
Old 03-25-12, 09:41 AM
David M
Driver

be sure you have the flat flex cables installed correctly. Easy to get them wrong. Their ''position memory' should help there but they have to be seated firmly and completely inside their connector housings. Other than that, possible errors with the soldering, or solder drips onto other boards, etc...
Old 03-25-12, 11:25 AM
03RX
Driver School Candidate

be sure you have the flat flex cables installed correctly. Easy to get them wrong. Their ''position memory' should help there but they have to be seated firmly and completely inside their connector housings. Other than that, possible errors with the soldering, or solder drips onto other boards, etc...
Thanks David...I took it all apart again down to the motor. Took the motor out and tested, everything checked out. Reassembled making sure to seat every ribbon cable properly and lock it down. Connected it back up...still nothing. It was giving me the "no disk detected" prior to this, but the tray mechanism was working because I was able to eject the disk before originally removing the unit. I am not sure what I am missing. It seems most of the cables I removed were for the laser head assembly, so I would assume even if one of those wasn't seated properly the tray would still open. Maybe if I could narrow which one might be supect...I would think most likely one of the first two that are removed with the four pin (power?) connector?

Any additional thoughts more than appreciated. Thanks again!
Old 03-25-12, 02:24 PM
David M
Driver

It was extremely easy for me to put the flat flex cables back in upside down. On one it didn't matter because the header had pins on top and bottom but it did matter on the big 50 pin one (if I recall correctly.)
If you got motor response then you obviously have the big cable connected properly, at least for the first few pins (last few?)
Right now:
Does the black box as a whole work when connected in the car? Can you eject or load a DVD? If not, I'd start by looking at the flat flex cable that connects to the drive subassembly to the motherboard, and check the cable between the power supply board and the motherboar. If it does, then what is working and what is not working?
Old 03-26-12, 07:18 AM
03RX
Driver School Candidate

It was extremely easy for me to put the flat flex cables back in upside down. On one it didn't matter because the header had pins on top and bottom but it did matter on the big 50 pin one (if I recall correctly.)
If you got motor response then you obviously have the big cable connected properly, at least for the first few pins (last few?)
Right now:
Does the black box as a whole work when connected in the car? Can you eject or load a DVD? If not, I'd start by looking at the flat flex cable that connects to the drive subassembly to the motherboard, and check the cable between the power supply board and the motherboar. If it does, then what is working and what is not working?
Correct...the entire box is not working now. I know it is getting power because when I reconnect it the screen on the dash says "no disk detected", and when I disconnect it the screen goes blank and says "no system" or something like that. But the disk tray won't eject when I press the button. I am 99% sure the cables are in properly, otherwise they would be twisted. But yes I assume that because I am getting no response it has to be one of the three cables that connect the sub assembly to the main board/box. There are two ribbon cables and one four wire with a pin connector. I will play around with those and see if I can get it working again. Thanks again for your input!
Old 03-26-12, 02:09 PM
David M
Driver

If the cables are good, then the disk drive itself or the new motor are dead, or both. I bought a drive that the seller claimed was identical to the one in the car, but he lied. I did try it though, and got the same results are you are getting now.
If anyone knows ATAPI connections, I now have the pinouts and would like to collarborate on replacing the mechanical dvd drives with something more practical, like usb stick or sd card.
Old 04-01-12, 01:05 PM
03RX
Driver School Candidate

David M...thank you so much for your quick help.

Just to give you an update, and if anyone else has this problem...

What I wasn't getting about putting the cables in "upside down' was I am sure now that you were refering to the little plastic slide piece that ultimately locks the pins on the ribbon cable in place, and not the actual cable itself (since it would be difficult to put those in upside down as you would be twisting them). After my brain clicked on that I went back and checked them all, and sure enough it looked like the one that is taped down and curves back under the board was locked down backward. It was tough to see because you kind of have to look at that one upside down to reconnect it. Put it back the right way, put the system back in and what do you know...it is working now!
So eventhough I had to pay quite a bit more for the motor (unfortunately very difficult to find), thanks to this thread I have a working system again. So thanks to all of you who posted solutions here.

And yes...if someone ever develops a mod that could convert all of this to a SSD drive that would be very cool.

Thanks again...
Old 08-09-12, 06:55 AM
dohc97
Driver School Candidate

hey everyone, registered on here to say thank you for this write up it has been very helpful on my 02, but i ran into another problem. The gear for the motor broke while installing onto the new motor. Does anyone have any clue where to obtain this gear? i might just have to make one from plastic sheet if i cant source it. thanks for the help in advance

Jose
Old 08-09-12, 07:27 AM
talwang

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dohc97
hey everyone, registered on here to say thank you for this write up it has been very helpful on my 02, but i ran into another problem. The gear for the motor broke while installing onto the new motor. Does anyone have any clue where to obtain this gear? i might just have to make one from plastic sheet if i cant source it. thanks for the help in advance

Jose
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...t-13ka12c.html
Old 08-09-12, 08:38 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey just wanted to say I've been following this thread for some time now and i thought I'd post my experience.
Took apart my drive unit some time ago and when I applied external power to the unit, the motor worked and moved the laser unit apparently as designed so that doesn't appear to be my problem. It looks like other posters have had a similar experience. That being the case, my unit remains in pieces until a definitive solution is posted here OR I find a reasonably priced unit in a salvage yard

Quick Reply: 2002 sc 430 navigation reads "no disk detected"