SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 sc 430 navigation reads "no disk detected"

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 03:19 PM
mcdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far Compaq, Samsung, Dell, Mitsumi, Cyberdrive, and Lite On I.T. are a no go. The search continues.
Old 10-08-09, 11:28 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NAVRepair
If anyone has the No Disk problem with your NAV DVD and would like your motor replaced. You can send it to me and I will replace the motor in it for you for $250 + $18 shipping. I will replace the motor only, I will not perform any other repairs.
So you just joined clublexus just to promote your services?
Old 10-22-09, 12:31 PM
NAVRepair
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcdog
I've been searching for a ppn-13ka12c for a few weeks now. I've accumulated quite a few old cd-rom drives with no luck. Has anyone tried a similar motor like a ppn-13lb11c? It's the same size but has more torque and speed. I'm scared to try it for fear of damaging the unit and having to buy a new one afterall.

When I finally do locate the correct motor, I will post where it came from. If anyone else knows a good source for these, PLEASE POST IT!
I have the correct motor... PM me

Last edited by NAVRepair; 10-22-09 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-23-09, 08:37 AM
blueridge
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS_250
So you just joined clublexus just to promote your services?
Nice! For a few bucks more, one can find an ECU in a junked Lexus or Toyota.
Old 10-27-09, 09:04 PM
pepsiboy72
Driver School Candidate

Hey direditor,

Did you get that back together? Yours looks exactly like mine. I could send pics, but I was wondering what motor you bought.

Thanks
Old 10-28-09, 09:05 AM
NAVRepair
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blueridge
Nice! For a few bucks more, one can find an ECU in a junked Lexus or Toyota.
the ECU is not the DVD drive itself... there is an ECU that is the brain of the system. So if the ECU is the problem that would work... the no disc detected is simply the little motor in the DVD drive has failed ... I have a handful of these replacement motors if anyone is interested in doing the work themselves and needs one. Again, PM me and we can work out the details.
Old 11-15-09, 11:46 AM
jtydings
Driver School Candidate

I don't know if this problem has been addressed elsewhere. My 2002 sc430 nav system shows the map perfectly but when I press the destination button, not all of the tabs light up. Specifically I cannot use address or previous distination. Is there a way to "reboot" this or is there something else I should do. It was working absolutely fine up until yesterday. Thanks for any and all help.
Old 11-25-09, 01:17 PM
asusi
Driver School Candidate

Are there any local fuses in these units? My unit is totally dead - I get the "no disc detected" error, however, I can't eject the disk - the unit does not respond. Checked all fuses in engine compartment and all are good.
Thanks
Old 12-08-09, 02:24 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by billheap
Thank you goes out to the comments posted which helped me save big bucks.
I have a 2002 SC430 which recently had a problem with the navigation.
I received the "no disk detected" error. I tried to eject the disk, but it would not eject.
I took the car to Lexus, who informed me I needed a new ECU which would cost $1200 installed. ECU-- is just a fancy name for the DVD drive so they can get away with charging so much.

After reading various posts, it sounded like the laser drive mechanism was the problem.
With many suggesting the drive motor as the cause of failure. After removing the ECU
unit, which was not overly difficult, I inspected the mechanism of the laser drive assembly, I found the screw drive a bit stiff due to poor lubrication. After applying new lubrication to the screw drive, it moved more smoothly. I applied power of 6v from 4, 1.5v AA batteries to the drive motor to test it. I bought the battery holder at radio shack for a couple bucks and new batteries to make sure I had known power. They have small motors there, but not the right size. By alternating the two wire onto the motor the mechanism can be driven in both directions. The mechanicm was now working
smoothly, and was even ejecting the disk properly. I put it back together and installed it back in the car. Low and behold, it worked.

For those who actually had a drive motor problem, that may have been an effect of poor lubrication of the drive screw. Hopefully, the mechanism got stuck before the motor was damaged.

In conclusion, a couple drops of lubrication and a bit of work, may save you a bundle.

Good luck,

Bill
Well I checked out the motor and the laser gears and sled. When I connect power as Bill did above, everything seems to work just great. So it would seem that this is not my problem.
Anyone have any other suggestions??
Old 12-10-09, 07:37 AM
Soulebhain
Driver School Candidate

I've got a 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS with a Gen 2 or 3 nav unit. My whole unit is in the dashboard and is integrated with the AM/FM/6 CD interface rather than under my seat or in the trunk. Recently it stopped recognizing the map DVD and I'm getting the same error you guys are getting. I ordered a new 2009 DVD and still had no luck, so that's how I ended up here. The thing is, I can eject the DVD and put an audio CD in the DVD drive and it will play it without hesitation. Does this rule out the possibility of there being an issue with my laser eye or my PPN13KA12C motor?

I've only been able to find the motor available from shady looking Chinese, Russian, or Estonian websites, so hearing that the motor is not my problem might be good news for me. Anybody have any clue what my issue could be, if not the motor?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-10, 11:08 AM
mcgyver24
Driver

Anybody have any luck finding these motors? I have contacted NMB (the manufacture) and they will not sell me just one. I would have to order around 500 for them to start making them. It seems like these are no longer available as an off the self item but can be remade to order. Please let me know if anybody has a source. Thanks.....
Old 03-03-10, 11:52 AM
NAVRepair
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcgyver24
Anybody have any luck finding these motors? I have contacted NMB (the manufacture) and they will not sell me just one. I would have to order around 500 for them to start making them. It seems like these are no longer available as an off the self item but can be remade to order. Please let me know if anybody has a source. Thanks.....
As I stated in Post #96, I have them.
Old 03-07-10, 08:19 AM
NAVRepair
Driver School Candidate

Sure do. PM me.
Old 03-07-10, 08:25 AM
vespula
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcgyver24
Anybody have any luck finding these motors?
Yeah, you can PM me for details.
Old 03-07-10, 08:42 AM
vespula
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by colenzae
Well I checked out the motor and the laser gears and sled. When I connect power as Bill did above, everything seems to work just great. So it would seem that this is not my problem.
Anyone have any other suggestions??
Did you lube it or not? Your motor could be weak and i t could be an intermittent problem. I hope you applied fresh lube anyway.

Quick Reply: 2002 sc 430 navigation reads "no disk detected"