SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help On LuxLink Install From Someone Who Has Done It

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-07, 02:48 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help On LuxLink Install From Someone Who Has Done It

I finally decided to install the LuxLink I purchased over a year ago and I took apart the whole interior and am ready to start wiring it up. I printed out the 7 page instructions, but I have a few quick questions I want answered since I never installed an alarm or remote start before.

1. When it says to connect the LuxLink wire to the stock vehicle wire is it asking you to just strip back some of the factory wire insulation and "t-tap" into the factory wiring and solder it? It isn't specific in the instructions and the pictures aren't the greatest; all it says is to connect it and solder.

2. For the immobilizer unit, do you take the black wire that has a loop and just loop it around the ignition cylinder where the key goes right behind the dash? I know that is how most immobilizers work. I didnt get ny instructions with that and it just said to see instructions in TBK111 which I don't have.

3. Did you only route the wires that had to go through into the door through the rubber wiring grommet in the door? Mine don't seem long enough so I may have to extend them.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Old 11-19-07, 08:06 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Come on guys....the car is sitting in pieces in my garage right now. The biggest thing I need to know is when they say connect the LuxLink wire to the factory wire do they mean to just strip back the factory insulation and just solder the Luxlink one to it like a "T"?
Old 11-19-07, 08:42 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you phone them, luxury motorworks they will talk you through it.
Old 11-19-07, 09:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

1) correct, no need to cut the wire, just take off part of the rubber cover, tap in the wire, and then solder, followed by electrical tape to avoid shorting

2) i don't know about their 2nd design, on my first gen, it doesn't have the loop. they just put my card key very close to the ignition. on my gs400, i did have the loop (and another box for the key). yes, you wrap those wires around the ignition cylinder

3) correct, only those wires to the door. mine are pretty long, enough to readh the door ecu
Old 11-19-07, 10:00 AM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Thanks Rominl!
Old 11-22-07, 11:00 AM
spinout180
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did this install about a year ago... and could never get the immobilizer bypass to work correctly. I was VERY frustrated.

I finally just ditched the unit and zip-tied a spare key under the dash next to the ignition switch, basically bypassing the immobilizer entirely. There are obviously some major security and convenience concerns about doing this... makes the car easier to steal, spare key is not available if you lock yours in the car.

I'm not too worried about the car getting stolen up here in Portland, and I have insurance so I'll just go buy another. The spare key thing could be a potential problem, but I don't think I have locked a key inside of a car for at least a decade. I haven't lost my keys ever, I don't think. (jinx)

Did you get the immobilizer unit to work correctly?

Also, I wasn't really that happy with the function of the LuxLink. It seems to fail intermittently and randomly. 75% of the time I can start the car and raise/lower the top, the other quarter of the time it just refuses to work.

Oh well.
Old 11-22-07, 11:20 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spinout180
Also, I wasn't really that happy with the function of the LuxLink. It seems to fail intermittently and randomly. 75% of the time I can start the car and raise/lower the top, the other quarter of the time it just refuses to work.

Oh well.
TBH my luxlink seems to be getting worse with age, sure Ive always had the same problems that have been mentioned here. Recently more and more it opens the roof for no apparent reason.

Me and the missies pulled into a petrol station. It was pouring down with rain, I filled up went inside to pay and the roof opened up and the missies was freaking whilst getting drenched as she didnt know how to operate the roof.

Also the other week parked up to go into a shop again came back to find the roof open.

TBH its a bit worrying
Old 11-22-07, 08:15 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Well unfortunately I haven't had a chance to completely finish it yet, but so far I am worried. I haven't put things back together yet or connected the Immobilizer, but everything else is connected. I tried to test the top feature and when I started the car I had all of the warning lights on and the windows, door locks, and top don't work at all. I have to look over everything again, but I am 99.9% sure everything is connected correctly so I am scared.
Old 11-23-07, 12:01 AM
spinout180
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aquanuke
TBH my luxlink seems to be getting worse with age, sure Ive always had the same problems that have been mentioned here. Recently more and more it opens the roof for no apparent reason...
This has been happening to me TOO! I have a hard time believing that I am hitting the correct sequence of buttons while the keys are in my pocket to cause the top to go down, but it has happened a couple of times. Once it was on a really rainy day, but somehow I noticed the top down moments before a downpour and didn't soak the leather.

Also, it has happened a couple of times when I remote-started the car. I hit the buttons, hear the car start outside and then head out after a few minutes to find the car running with the top down. VERY WORRISOME!
Old 11-23-07, 10:30 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

The remote start is not ready for prime time, imho, and will often cause the top to go down. My bottom line is that I don't use it.

OTOH, the top down feature seems rock solid for me, once some early wiring issues were resolved which caused gremlin operation.
Old 11-24-07, 12:59 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are y'all using the latest version of the luxlink? i bought mine in june, had it installed at JPI in dallas the same month, and have not had a single issue with it whatsoever for the past 5 months. I've heard that the old unit had lots of problems, but want to know which version y'all have....
Old 11-24-07, 01:54 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

I have the original one
Old 11-24-07, 03:39 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can afford it, upgrade to the new model. Flawless for the last 6 months. Maybe LuxLink will give you a credit if you give them your old one.