SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Trading my SC for a new SL

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-07 | 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

and i will just add, only keep the car when there is still warranty. i just hope you don't end up driving the c class loaner more often than the sl, like what happens to my friend (and it's not lemon coz' every time it's something new). love the styling of that car, i would pick that over the sc430 any day, but overall the sc430 was our choice
Old 11-23-07 | 05:39 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

I bought my wife an SL550 11 months ago, to replace her SC430. She loves the car. In spite of my expectations, it has not required one repair.
Old 11-23-07 | 07:56 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Also consider that the two-seater SL will be more expensive to insure than a "four"-seater SC, not that it's such a big deal when you're spending near $80k on a car...
I traded my 2004 SC on a 2005 SL55 and I was shocked at the insurance rates. The rates on the SL55 were lower than the SC.
Old 11-23-07 | 08:13 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

If you have a 430 I really don't think a SL is a huge jump up. The SL is as dated looking as the SC... not worth the money. You can find 2003 for 40k. If you gonna spend some dough get the new drop Jagor a 645/m6 drop. They are more of a statement. There aren't too many mediums between the SC and Lambo... that is what everyone wants anyway??
Old 11-23-07 | 08:56 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by shern
One of the craziest things I've ever heard in my life.
Granted, its not something the nouveau riche worry about.
Old 11-23-07 | 09:29 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

i have always loved sl's dont know why, but enjoy your sl, and believe me, german cars are way more reliable then they used to, not all break down, and no you won't always be in the shop
Old 11-23-07 | 05:09 PM
stonewis
Pole Position

Mercedes is owned by Ford? Honestly?
Old 11-23-07 | 06:56 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by lkirchner
I traded my 2004 SC on a 2005 SL55 and I was shocked at the insurance rates. The rates on the SL55 were lower than the SC.
Really?

Did anything change? Did you get married, or turned a new decade old (30, 40, etc), or something?
Old 11-23-07 | 07:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by lkirchner
that's very surprising, you sure everything was the same? the sl55 is a lot more expensive, 2 seats, etc...
Old 11-24-07 | 09:43 AM
Addiction2
Driver

Lot of folks on both sides here, I'll chip in my two cents as a current SC owner and forwer SL owner. I saw a couple who say that the SC is tops interior wise and thats not true to me. In fact the Jag which features all of its wood panels being cut from the same tree so the grain matches and seats so soft you think they will moo when you touch them is quite a bit better than the SC. The SL is at least tied with the SC and the XLR is only out of the running because its cockpit is filled with plastic parts.

Also on the road an unmodded SL will destroy an unmodded SC, its not a contest.

Also the lines of the car, its just beautiful. Its the clear winner in its class.

Down side is the SL features craptastic electonics, hard to use and generally of poorer quality than other cars in the class. Also as I've said previously you'll spend some time getting to love your loaners, my SL spent 3 out of 12 months in the service bay.

Bottom line is there are many ways that I think the SL is hands down a better car and I applaud your decision. But for me when I factored in things like everyday reliability matched to reasonable performance and jawdropping looks the SC was the best total package.

But I do wonder if the SC was in the same price range as the Jag and the SL how many of us would have made the same choice? For me if the SC and the Jag were in the same price point and had the same level of reliability as much as I love my SC I'd still be driving Jags.
Old 11-24-07 | 02:10 PM
ghmundt
Driver

I picked up the SL550 today and it is a beast next to the SC. The acceleration,handling and ride quality, not to mention the design of the car, are much superior to the SC. The electronlcs, I don't know, I like a nav system that you can actually use while you are driving without having to modify. Interiorwise, while the SL may not have the wood and leather look of the SC, you feel much less claustraphobic in the SL. The car is wider and the window line is much lower than the SC.
I am still on the honeymoon with the SL, but at this point it is everything I wish the SC would be. Reliability? I will report back as the odometer scrolls up.
Old 11-24-07 | 05:45 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by ghmundt
I picked up the SL550 today and it is a beast next to the SC. The acceleration,handling and ride quality, not to mention the design of the car, are much superior to the SC. The electronlcs, I don't know, I like a nav system that you can actually use while you are driving without having to modify. Interiorwise, while the SL may not have the wood and leather look of the SC, you feel much less claustraphobic in the SL. The car is wider and the window line is much lower than the SC.
I am still on the honeymoon with the SL, but at this point it is everything I wish the SC would be. Reliability? I will report back as the odometer scrolls up.
Awesome. I'm jealous!!!

Do keep us informed on how the car evolves (or devolves) as the odometer rises. It's a beautiful car, and I hope it treats you well.
Old 11-24-07 | 05:52 PM
ghmundt
Driver

I just got my new insurance premium and would like to dispel one myth, that the SC pseudo rear seat reduces your insurance premium. My new 6 month premium on the SL from GEICO is $50 higher than my SC premium. With the value of the SL being $80K versus $50K for the SC, my premium difference shows no advantage for the SC rear seat.
Old 11-24-07 | 06:10 PM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

Great choice in picking the SL! As much as i like the SC, the SL just has that classic, sophisticated, "007 Bond-like" styling that the SC lacks. My neighbour has a SL600 with the AMG pkg, dropped on 20" Zauber Gettins and its just in a different league compared to the modded SC's i've seen around my area. It just flows more nicely, and the styling will age much nicer than the SC.
Old 11-24-07 | 07:08 PM
ReLexin
Lexus Champion

I love Lexus, but i would have to pick the SL, i see my milf neighbor pull in her driveway all the time. Would love to put a nice buff on her.... the car

How bout some pics!!!! plz

Quick Reply: Trading my SC for a new SL