SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Trading my SC for a new SL

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-07, 07:44 PM
Slick85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps I'm wrong, but isn't the SL & SC going for a different market? I don't understand why these two are being compared.
Old 11-24-07, 07:49 PM
stockySC4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ek9vboi
Mercedes = Owned by Ford.

/thread.

I've sat in both and am disappointed by the Mercedes interior. Now Lexus, it has some toys that you can enjoy.
not owned by ford...

Jaguar and Land Rover are owned by ford. and both of those are on the sales block possibly bought out by an indian car company by the name of TATA motors.

mazda and volvo are also owned by ford.
Old 11-24-07, 09:17 PM
Addiction2
Driver

Originally Posted by Slick85
Perhaps I'm wrong, but isn't the SL & SC going for a different market? I don't understand why these two are being compared.
I wouldn't say so. In the SC market space there are four serious competitors. The SL, SC, XK and XLR. The AMG series and XLR-V I'd move into that next level mostly due to pricing but I would consider those cars if I was willing to take on a $100K plus price.

I also left out the 6 Series, sorry bout that.

Last edited by Addiction2; 11-26-07 at 05:00 AM.
Old 11-25-07, 05:36 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

The SL is a beautiful car. Unfortunately, the reliabilty is way below par. I also think dial controls for temperature and not digital readouts in that type of car are cheap.

Last edited by abbeyrd; 11-25-07 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-25-07, 05:46 AM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

great thing about the Merc SL--you get the same interior as an SLR! And as it seems, for 390k less!!! (yes that's ~470 minus the ~80 he'd be paying which equals 390)
Old 11-25-07, 07:18 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Really?

Did anything change? Did you get married, or turned a new decade old (30, 40, etc), or something?
Nothing changed and the coverage limits were the same.
Old 11-25-07, 09:53 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Granted, its not something the nouveau riche worry about.
That is an interesting statement, considering almost 90% of the wealthy population could be considered "nouveau riche" (meaning, they are first-generation wealthy rather than from a long line of Blue Bloods). Also, IMHO the SC430 is more of a "nouveau riche" car than the SL because Lexus is more of a "mass luxury" brand than Mercedes. BTW, I've owned 2 SC430's, so I'm not bashing the car. Just stating an opinion.
Old 11-25-07, 03:20 PM
LexFather

I think the SL is fantastic.
Old 11-25-07, 04:11 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

SL is a better looking car stock to stock hands down. I would not trade in my SC for a non AMG SL. SC430 with the right kit, wheels, BBK, and suspension you will definately be up to par if not exceed the SL in looks and still be less than what a person paid for the SL in stock form. Add TC/LSD, then def you would hang with sl550's. You will be more one of a kind on the road than the SL550s when you do the steps above. Way more SL's on the road than SC's which to me is a GOOD THING.

IMO, full body replacement kits look best on SC's. Not knocking by no means anyone here, still looks awesome but something about full replacements that really changes the characteristics of the car.
Old 11-25-07, 10:35 PM
Larry96815
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned two Lexus and two MB. No SL though. All four have been great cars. If I had to have one car it would be the MB. Sorry guys, just my personal opinion (which means nothing)

Aloha,
Larry
Old 11-26-07, 10:22 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The SL is a great car. When I bought my SC it was between the SC, Jag and SL.
Although I wanted a tin roof so was really only between the SC and SL.

We dont have the SL550 so only SL500 and the price here would scare all of you , ie about $160,000 for the SL500

TBH a stock SC looks a bit strange and it was only that I saw what it could look like with a few tasteful mods that made me choose the SC.

If money was no issue I would have gone with an SL but it would have to be an AMG
Old 11-26-07, 11:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by aquanuke
The SL is a great car. When I bought my SC it was between the SC, Jag and SL.
Although I wanted a tin roof so was really only between the SC and SL.

We dont have the SL550 so only SL500 and the price here would scare all of you , ie about $160,000 for the SL500
SL550 & SL500 is the same car with the same engine with same hp, they just prefer to call it SL550 here.
As for the UK price, I think it's due to the extremely weak $US right now when you do the currency conversion.
Old 11-26-07, 01:29 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aquanuke
When I bought my SC...

TBH a stock SC looks a bit strange and it was only that I saw what it could look like with a few tasteful mods that made me choose the SC.
Chris, just a quick question:

What is the generalized attitude towards the SC430 across the pond?

I know that Lexus is not as prominent in Europe compared to the States, with the SC being the least liked (most members have seen how TopGear tore the SC430 apart ) of all the models. However, how does it compare to the Mercedes SL or even the BMW 6-Series when you consider personal tastes regarding luxury and power?
Old 11-26-07, 03:40 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Chris, just a quick question:

What is the generalized attitude towards the SC430 across the pond?

I know that Lexus is not as prominent in Europe compared to the States, with the SC being the least liked (most members have seen how TopGear tore the SC430 apart ) of all the models. However, how does it compare to the Mercedes SL or even the BMW 6-Series when you consider personal tastes regarding luxury and power?
The SC never went down well over here. TBH I bought an SC because its so rare over here. My last car was a 330 e46 BMW cab and it was not uncommon to see 10 in a row.

Topgear really tore into the SC because it drove like crap because it had run flat tires. A car with run flat tires is never going to work on UK roads and although they could have said "Oh well spend £xxx on some real tires, it will drive fine" that would be stupid as your average person does not spend £56,000 ($115,000) to then have to shell out for some real tires.

Also the SC is very expensive over here because its sold in such small numbers, when you compare it to equivalent and lower priced cars here its just not good value for your pound. Even with the weak dollar, cars and pretty much everything have always been more expensive here.

If Lexus had given Top Gear a car with a firmer suspension and real tires I think it would have been a more favourable review. Shortly after Lexus did change British cars, suspension change and choice of normal tires.

TBH I think 90% + of SC owners here have changed the tires even on those super smooth roads in the US so if you had to live with the run flats, would you really be happy with the way your car drove?

"However, how does it compare to the Mercedes SL or even the BMW 6-Series when you consider personal tastes regarding luxury and power?"

Both those cars are very popular over here, I do remember Top Gear did complain about the run flats on the 6 series but they where nothing as bad as the dunlop? run flats on the SC430.

It was mentioned on another episode of Top Gear that more convertibles are sold in the UK then any where else in Europe. If Lexus had just set it up to cope better with UK roads then it would have sold just as well as the SL, XK and 6 series IMO.
Old 11-26-07, 04:12 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

BTW every one here probs know Jeremy Clarkson bought an SL AMG

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cE2j-GRhirk

Of course he did'nt keep it long, reliability problems maybe

Quick Reply: Trading my SC for a new SL