SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New Wheel Setup Need Your Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 01:46 PM
guyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wheel Setup(update wheels are in)

HELLO EVERYONE I AM LOOKING TO BUY THESE ASANTI AF132 WHEELS THE DEAL IM GETTING IS A GREAT ONE AND I WAS JUST WONDERING WHAT YOU GUYS THOUGHT OF THESE WHEELS ON OUR SC'S? ALSO I WAS THINKING OF GETTING THEM IN 20BY8.5 AND 20BY10 WHAT KIND OF OFFSET AND TIRE SIZE'S DO YOU THINK I SHOULD RUN TO GET THE MOST AGRESSIVE LOOK WITHOUT RUBBING OR SCRAPING OF THE BACK WHEEL WELLS? BTW THEY RUN A 2.5" LIP IN THE FRONT AND A 4" LIP IN THE REAR. ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED. THANKS

HERE IS A PIC OF THE WHEEL FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH IT.

Last edited by guyc; 12-18-07 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-27-07, 03:18 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a beautiful wheel but I think it would look better on a luxo sedan instead of a sporty coupe. It will be okay though.
Old 11-27-07, 03:26 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice wheels, but I have to agree with reggiek. For some reason when I see this wheel, I think Chrysler 300M! But what do I know? I'm too chicken to mod! Plus the wife wouldn't dare let me do anything "extreme" to "her" car. Go for it and be sure to post the after pictures! Opinions may be totally different once seen on the car.
Old 11-27-07, 03:48 PM
guyc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks
Btw I had the rim shop lay them by the car before ordering and they looked really great but my main concern was the offset and the tire sizes. Any input on that would be great. Also they now make this wheel in a 2 piece which is about 1k cheaper, what are some of your thoughts about the diff between 2 and 3 piece wheels. I personally think there might not be anything wrong with a 2 piece if anything wouldn’t it be a stronger wheel (less bending)?
Old 11-27-07, 04:04 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by guyc
Thanks
Btw I had the rim shop lay them by the car before ordering and they looked really great but my main concern was the offset and the tire sizes. Any input on that would be great. Also they now make this wheel in a 2 piece which is about 1k cheaper, what are some of your thoughts about the diff between 2 and 3 piece wheels. I personally think there might not be anything wrong with a 2 piece if anything wouldn’t it be a stronger wheel (less bending)?
Both are fine but you get more sizing versatility and options with 3 piece. If that's not an issue, I'd go with 2 piece. That's what I have.
Old 11-27-07, 05:40 PM
guyc
Driver School Candidate

Well i just hung up with the rim shop it’s officially a done deal. anyone have any tips about lowering the sc or if its even necessary for the wheel size that im going to be running for me to lower it? Do you guys think it will make the car ride high without the drop?
What are some springs or coil over set ups that you guys use or have heard about that will not make the car bouncy or ride to stiff? Is keeping about the same ride comfort even possible when lowering a car? Again any input will be great.

Will post pics when they come in it will be about 2-3 weeks.

cant wait...........
Old 11-27-07, 06:45 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by guyc
any tips about lowering the sc or if its even necessary for the wheel size that im going to be running for me to lower it?
If you put the car on 20" then I think it raises the cars hight by 1"

Ive got Tein coilovers which are probs the most common suspension mod but there is plenty to choose from.

The Tein coilovers wont let you slam the car but will give you 12 settings of which you can go as high as stock.
Old 11-28-07, 11:58 AM
guyc
Driver School Candidate

Well i was messing with photoshop last night and here is a rough idea of what it will look like keep in mind the front lip isnt that big.

Old 11-28-07, 01:14 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now those are some deep dishes! Doesn't look bad in the rear. Looks a little funny up front with such a deep dish shown. Should be interesting to see the finished product. Just curious, what tires are you putting on? Very low profile of course!
Old 11-28-07, 01:37 PM
guyc
Driver School Candidate

You now im not sure yet, to be honest im not the best one to be asking about this. But maybe some one will chime in here and suggest sizes that I should run. From the little knowledge that I have about this stuff though I think they will run 25, 30, or 35s but im not sure.
Old 11-28-07, 04:50 PM
guyc
Driver School Candidate

BTW
im going to lower the car and was wondering since the coilovers are way out of the price range im willing to pay what are your thoughts about the tanabe springs or the tein s-tech or h-tech? Which one will still retain the ride comfort of the Lexus and still give it that aggressive look im looking for?

also if any of you have a set of springs you need to get rid of, or even coil overs let me know. thank you
Old 11-29-07, 03:34 PM
guyc
Driver School Candidate

btw i read on rominl wheel fitment guide that the recomneded offset for 20by8.5 is +18 and for 20by10 +24 so i called asanti to verify what offset im getting and they tell me that the wheels i ordered are custom made for the sc430 and that they come +38 and +35 wich give it the 2.5" lip in the front and 4" lip in the rear they also said that they make them to sit flush with the fender. so now im confused asanti tells me that +18 in the front would result in a 3.5" lip which in my opinion is HUGE so whats up with this situation any one please chime in here.
Old 11-29-07, 06:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have already replied to your pm so i won't say more

but look at my wheels. look at gsxotic's car. look at melcomb (sp?) car. look at dan_k's car we all had more aggressive settings

and in fact, the settings they quoted you? they go on my gs400
Old 11-30-07, 11:05 AM
guyc
Driver School Candidate

I can’t believe that asanti would make a wheel that’s so conservative all the asantis I have seen on other cars always looks right on? Like I said I am heading to the rim shop right now to do some test fitting. Ill let you know how it goes.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-18-07, 11:32 AM
guyc
Driver School Candidate

Well the wheels finally came in yesterday and they look better than I even imagined. The Photoshop work I did does it no justice lol. Ill post pics as soon as this rain stops. Also ill post some up close pics of the fender clearance I need to get you opinions on whether to go with the h-tech or the s-tech springs. Thanks

Quick Reply: New Wheel Setup Need Your Opinions?