SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

No More Bilstein For Sc43o Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-07, 11:54 AM
guyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No More Bilstein For Sc43o Need Help

Hello Guys After Searching This Site For The Last Two Days I Found That The Best Way To Lower Your Ride And Get The Best Ride Is To Go With The Coilovers, Unfortunatly At This Point After Shelling Out For The New Wheels My Budget Is Looking A Little Tight For This Mod. I Was Thinking About Going With The Tanabe Springs Or The H-tech Set Up But Ran In To Another Wall, Seeing As My Ride Now Has About 50k Miles On It I Am Probably Due For Some New Shocks,my Concern Is That After Changeing Out The New Prings The Car Would Bottom Out Due To The Old Shock. So Some Of You Have This Type Of Set Up Instead Of The Coil Overs And I Have Read That You Were Running Bilstein Shocks So I Called Them And They Told Me That They No Longer Make Shocks For The Sc430's. So I Am Now In A Bind, If Any Of You Know Of Another Shock Manufacture Out There That Is Worth A Dam Please Let Me Know My Wheels Are About 2 Weeks Out At This Point And I Really Need To Get This Ordered. Also I Was Wondering If Any Of You Have An Opinion About The Spring Choices That I Came Up With (which One Is Better). Please Any Advice Will Be Greatly Appriciated. Thank You
Old 11-29-07, 12:41 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

Im a fan of Bilstein. Someone told me that the Auto Couture coilovers use Bilstein shocks but we are not 100% sure about that. Can anyone confirm this? As for coilovers, Teins make good coilovers but to me the CS gives a real soft ride.
Old 11-29-07, 12:51 PM
guyc
Driver School Candidate

I am up to my neck on these wheels and there is no way i will be able to shell out for coil overs. also i just called arround and not 1 manufacturer makes shocks for the sc430 they are a stricly dealer part now. WOW does that suck....
maybe some one here has a set of coil overs they might want to sell??? that would be nice. or maybe you guys know of a company that still makes shocks?
Old 11-29-07, 01:59 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bilstein makes shocks for the 2nd gen GS cars that will bolt up. I'm currently running these shocks on the front of my SC and love them. I still have my stocks on the rear and man it really does feel like i have twice the grip in the front vs the rear. Note: I had to replace the fronts as they were making noise. You can get Bilstein shocks at any autozone (or Kragen probably, right Lee?) for around $100 per corner.

What gets me is that they make atleast 4 different coils (which are all pretty much the same except the ride height, so I prefer the Tein S techs as they are supposed to be the lowest) but they make no aftermarket shocks. Only coil overs. So are we supposed to bolt lowering springs only to stock shocks, which are pretty much garbage for anyone that likes to corner?

But bottom line is that the GS suspension will fit the SC (I know the fronts forsure) and they make everything for that car.. There are guys here that ran coil overs from a GS on the SC also..

P.s. From what I found on the internet, is that the 2nd gen GS is within 100Lbs per axle of the SC. So they should be a good choice.

Last edited by hipendicul; 11-29-07 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-29-07, 02:25 PM
guyc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info
So your talking about the 300/400 model GS and your saying that the front and the back will swap out? WOW that’s great cuz I just called the dealer and they are running at about $700 for all 4. Also the rims I got are 20by8.5 and 20by10 I think from the measurements that I did on my own today, that I will have about 3-4 inches in the back of clearance with out a drop and about 3 inches in the front. If the s-tech springs lower the front by 1.3" and the rear by 1.6" then what size tires would I need to get to not rub the front or the rear?

BTW THANKS FOR THE REPLY I REALLY NEED THE INFO.

Also do you think my measurements are off? I am just wondering if I did that right it seams like a lot of clearance considering im going up to a 20" wheel.
Old 11-29-07, 05:23 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Becareful when you do static measurements. Wheels go from not fitting to fitting in about 5-10mm and its pretty hard to measure down that small. Also, its not wheel size that will get you but the offset of the wheels. 8.5 and 10" wheels are pretty standard and depending on how aggressive you get with the offsets, you may have to roll fenders and shave bumper mounting points. See Henry's wheel guide sticky..

20" wheels with a lot of lowering will give you two things. One a rough ride because you have to run an 30 series front tire or two, you can run a 35 series tire and deal with the rubbing. Do a search as the tire thing has been discussed to death..

Oh and besure to post some pictures once you get the car lowered with some wheels!!
Old 11-29-07, 05:54 PM
guyc
Driver School Candidate

thanks i read the thread and i spoke to henry i decided to go down to the rim shop tommorow morning and have them mount some rims and tires on my car to get an idea of what it will look like. WOW this is crazy. btw i will post pics the day i get them on. i dont think im going to get a good night sleep until its all on the car. lol
Old 11-29-07, 06:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

fitting wheels is an art. seriously, i am not exergerating. especially if you want to get close to the fender. wheels, offsets, widths, and even tire brand and size all play factors in the whole game
Old 11-30-07, 09:48 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yo guyc,

are u in Norcal?

teeman3
Old 11-30-07, 10:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i believe guy is in socal
Old 11-30-07, 11:00 AM
guyc
Driver School Candidate

Yup socal
Hey thanks guys for all the help im actually heading down to the rim shop right now to do some test fitting.

Btw if I drop the car which im planning on doing on tenabe or h-tech do you think ill be bottoming out if I keep the stock shocks?
Old 11-30-07, 11:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

good luck, let us know how it goes!
Old 11-30-07, 10:17 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

This SC430 also has Bilstein MTAS.
Not sure if it is specially designed for the sc430.

Old 12-03-07, 11:14 AM
guyc
Driver School Candidate

They may have done this with a mod or just were lucky enough to buy them while bilstein was still making them for the sc430.

Btw I read on the Lexus web site that the 430 has adjustable suspension, does that mean we can take it to the dealer and have them hook it up to a computer and lower it that way. My buddy did it on his s550 and it looks great no need to buy any springs, shocks, or coilovers.

Sounds interesting please chime in if you know something about this please. Thank you
Old 12-03-07, 11:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no, only the sc430 in japan they have air suspension. not for the ones in the US.

Quick Reply: No More Bilstein For Sc43o Need Help