SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Any Success On Removal Of Rear Seat Belts, Rear Head Rests, And Rear Wind Deflector?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-02, 02:28 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb Any Success On Removal Of Rear Seat Belts, Rear Head Rests, And Rear Wind Deflector?

Has anyone investigated the potential problems involved in removing their Rear Seat Belts, Head Rests, and Wind Deflectors?

For Severe Weather Driving, with the Hard Top up and in place, they sure do block a good part of the Rear Window View. With the Hard Top stowed, and in the open fresh air, the darn Belts begin to "Flap" in the wind, as soon as I hit 100 mph!

Coming out of my garage and down my circular driveway onto the Cul-De-Sac, with the Top down and stowed, I've begun to notice that my neighbors are starting to complain about the noise of those darn Flapping Rear Seat Belts, as soon as I hit 100 mph.

According to them, the Flapping Belts are scaring their kids, cats, and pet dogs, playing in the street.

Should maybe I turn down the EAGLES - "Lie'n Eyes", a click or two?

Any ideas on on my removing all of this "excess" stuff?

Will it leave gaping holes in the rear Hat Shelf area?

:eek:

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 02-01-02 at 08:26 PM.
Old 01-26-02, 03:19 PM
Ex-XK8
Driver School Candidate

Default Flapping in the wind...

Can't help with the parts removal, but I found a way to quiet the rear seat belts, at least up to 100 mph. (Actually it was my wife's idea).

I found a set of set of seat belt shoulder pads from Pep Boys. I placed them as high on the rear belts as they would fit. They are a simulated sheepskin. Their texture seems to break up the airflow. The belts are absolutly quiet at 100 mph. I was able to match color, so they don't even appear too tacky (of course black is easy to match ). For saddle, you might be able to dye white ones to match.

FYI, they are made by Axius and are called Outback Seat Belt Shoulder Pads. Cost was about $8 for a pair.

Here's a link to the Axius Site.

Not affiliated, etc...

Dave
Old 01-26-02, 10:43 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Thumbs up Re: Flapping in the wind...

Originally posted by Ex-XK8:

"Can't help with the parts removal, but I found a way to quiet the rear seat belts, at least up to 100 mph. I found a set of set of seat belt shoulder pads from Pep Boys.The belts are absolutly quiet at 100 mph."

Dave - Hey Man, Thanks for the Great Info! I locked onto their Web Site that you provided, and think that you've just helped solve a couple of my problems, pal:

According the their advertisement, these Pads promise to:

(1) "Relieve Rubbing & Chaffing";

(2) "Are Plush, Soft, Padded, and Comfortable";

(3) "Sheepskin-LIke Materials";

(4) "Easy To Slip On";

(5) "Dozens Of Styles, Colors, and Materials"................

That settles it! I'm going over to Pep Boys first thing tomorrow, and buy a couple of sets. One's Perfect for the Mother-In-Law when she's riding in the back seat, and complaining all of the time. A good set could help prevent "accidents" from happening during High Speed Lane Changes over 100 mph, with her tipping over back there, and stuff!

I'm also thinking about getting a "Neck Pillow" and "Travel Blanket" for her for those long trips accross country. Like Chevy Chase in the old Movie about their Family Cross-Country Trip to the Theme Park, might as well keep the MIL comfortable and quiet, scrunched up back there like she is in the Rear Seat, since there's no available Roof Rack on top of the SC, like Chevy's Staion Wagon. This way, when the Cops pull me over, she'll look Dry, Comfy and Warm as Toast, partially covered up back there in the Rear Seat, wearing her Pads, Neck Pillow, and Travel Blanket!

Hope that she doesn't expect "Treats" like this all the time!

Great Ideas, Dave. Many Thanks.

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 01-27-02 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-27-02, 11:55 AM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Believe the rear "headrests" are really disquised roll hoops. Think you might be compromizing roll over protection by removing them.
Great idea on the seat belt silencers! Thanks.
Old 01-29-02, 08:25 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I dont know for certain on the SC...once agin on my Supra...bla bla bla. There should be a **** beneath the seats that by pushing in while lifting up the lower portion of the seats and then slipping the bottom of the seats out of the car, its very simple. After doing that just take the seatbelts fastners and metal part and put them down as far as they will go and then return the seat cushion. I had this done on my Supra....all that was left were the straps, but they were very tight. Im sure ill end up trying this on the SC I just havent yet.....I will keep you posted. Unfortunately though.....you MAY not be able to tuck your mother-in-law under the seats. And without seat belts you MAY wish to try to accelrate hard enough to get an backseat cargo airborn. Perhaps giving her a gift of a stylish jacket with a parachute will help you out.
Old 02-16-02, 09:45 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys....yesterday I unlatched the bototm part of the rear back seat and tucked in the seatbelt clips. Well being in NJ I dont know if it will stop the flapping, so maybe one of you warmer guys could give it a test.

If you grip the seat near the front seats in the middle and give it a firm lift, it will pop out.....do the same thing for the other side then just slide the seat out.

Another option may be to take all the slack out of the seatbelts and tuck that under the seats too. Someone try this please and lets us know if it stops the flapping
Old 12-20-04, 12:36 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WJSOLOMON
...I've begun to notice that my neighbors are starting to complain about the noise of those darn Flapping Rear Seat Belts, as soon as I hit 100 mph.

According to them, the Flapping Belts are scaring their kids, cats, and pet dogs, playing in the street.
Old post, but did you think to reason that maybe they talked about the flapping as an indirect way of telling you to stop driving by their kids and pets at 100MPH+ in their neighborhood?