SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Buying a SC430 at auction

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-08 | 08:21 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Question Buying a SC430 at auction

After looking at a few SC430s I think I'm going to buy 1 soon. I've sold my LS430 this week and have been looking around at some used SCs. I also have a buddy at the auction looking on my behalf. Two things keep coming up... most cars at the auction need some paint work. Either the hood or door on 2 cars I'm interested in need to be re-sprayed. There is a BLACK one and BLUE one. The Black needs hood re-sprayed do to bug and bird stains thru the clearcoat and the Blue was keyed on the door.

My question would be, if both cars are available, which would be a better one to buy? If price and mileage were close to equal...

Also, what are your thoughts on wetsanding or re-spraying a car? It won't show up on carfax or autocheck, and only people with paint depth meters would be able to tell it was painted if they did a good job.

I think I can get a 2004 with 30-40k miles at auction for $29k (if minor paint work is needed). Pretty good deal, but worried about the paint matching and other unknowns that I hoped this forum might uncover...
Old 01-08-08 | 09:41 AM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

The 'better' car to get is stricly a matter of preference. What are the interior colors. If it were me, I'd lean towards Blue over black as I think black is so much more common that the Blue stands out a bit better. However, this is an opinion.

Also, it seems that both need some paint work. I would assume (I don't know) that it would be cheaper to refinish the door versus the hood. Any good paint shop should be able to do it and blend it in so that nobody could tell by looking.

I don't think paint show issues show up in carfax or autocheck (although I wish they did - out of full disclosure and fairness to the buyer) so that wouldn't be an issue. It is possible that either car, or possibly both have had previous paint or body work of some sort. I'd reccomend looking up both VINs to see if anything has been reported (although not perfect, may be the best option since full disclosure is not 'mandatory').

I'd also look at the interiors to see if there are any signs of wear more significant on one versus the other. Anytime you buy a used car, your experience will be somewhat impacted by the previous owner and how they maintained the car while they owned it.

A car with bird/bug issues on the hood that have gone through the clear-coat may be a sign of a car that was parked outside and not washed very often. Maybe an owner who didn't really take care of the car in general. A car that was keyed, could mean many things as well, you have to wonder why the car was keyed. For example, my neighbors x-wife keyed his car because she new it was his 'pride and joy' and he took such good care of it that she new it would cause him great stress. (He was stressed and had the car repainted almost immediately). On the other hand, if the car you are looking at was keyed and not fixed, that could give you some presumptions about the previous owner (right or wrong).

Bottom line, color preference is a preference you have to choose. But you have to think it all through for yourself.
Old 01-08-08 | 11:09 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Great response KSUFlasher. I'm really indifferent on the colors. I like Black, Blue, Silver, and Whte. The problem with these darker colors seems to be the way everything stands out. Every nick, scratch, ding, etc is much more obvious. I know its hard to keep it clean too, so that is why I have a tough time finding a good clean Black/Blue car that is 4 years old. My dealer friend told me that most auction cars are cars that have something wrong with them. If they were in mint condition, Lexus would keep on their lots and certify. So, there must be compromises here. Some have dents or panels replaced, others have frame damage or large scratches. I have never had a car, known to me, that was repainted. I have seen some really obvious repaints on nice cars before and wondered what part of the car would be less noticeable. I expect the hood repaint would be less of a problem since it will not have much contact with other original panels. The door seems like it would be tough to blend in unless the painter has an exact match.
Old 01-08-08 | 11:15 AM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 10,000

Id go for the black personally. But I only like black or white on cars so go figure.

I used to go with my uncle to auctions (he has a body shop & fixes them and sells them). Anyway, the only way you can be sure if the car is not badly damaged and covered up is to take someone who has experience in that field. Last time my cousin bought a car he took my uncle and he was able to tell each part of the car that was damaged/painted/etc. And also the overall shape of the engine and so forth.

Thats the best I think anyone can do with buying a car from an auction.

Goodluck!!
Old 01-08-08 | 12:07 PM
DDLexus
Racer

I have a dealer attending the auction on my behalf. He carries his smartphone for carfax/autocheck and a paint meter to check for repainted panels. Not sure what else he checks, but sounds like a thorough check.

I wish I could attend and see these cars on the block. From what I hear, most cars need some TLC. Its a matter of estimating what TLC is needed and how much it will cost to still make the car a good deal.

Like you said, once you buy/bid on it, your stuck with it.
Old 01-08-08 | 12:14 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Will you be in Atlanta tommorow?
Old 01-08-08 | 12:23 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Aristo300,
No. I'll be in Huntsville all week. I might goto ATL on Friday or Saturday to pick up my car if the dealer found me something in Orlando today. Do you attend the Atlanta Auto Auctions?
Old 01-08-08 | 12:24 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DDLexus
Aristo300,
No. I'll be in Huntsville all week. I might goto ATL on Friday or Saturday to pick up my car if the dealer found me something in Orlando today. Do you attend the Atlanta Auto Auctions?
I'm going tommorow with a dealer that's a friend of mine. I'm also buying an SC430.
Old 01-08-08 | 01:37 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

We have bought a few cars from the auction; my old SC was purchased at a local LA auction. I would suggest you try to go to the auction with your friend. When we use to go our guy would say that I was his driver and they would let me right in. I have bought a few cars sight unseen but it is not recommended and I really trusted our guys judgment. Before the auctions are scheduled to start you will have lots of time to go thru their lot and take a look at all the cars up for bidding. Depending on the auction you might not be able to drive it, but you will be able to turn it on and check it out thoroughly.

To answer your first question; it’s really your choice, I would definitely suggest you go there and take a look at both cars. Last thing you would want is to fork over that much money and not be satisfied with the outcome.
Old 01-08-08 | 02:48 PM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

Someone was just telling me about how the housing market 'crisis' is now impacting the auto industry and repos and remarketted cars are at the highest levels since the 70's. With this being the case, it's possible that some of the cars on auction are actually just fine mechanically but because somone could no longer pay for the car, it's now on auction. So, in short, this may be a good time to buy on auction.

Good luck and we look forward to hearing back from you about how well you did at auction.
Old 01-08-08 | 03:14 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

get the blue one, such a cool color lol