SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Hearing the siren call of an '08 SC430`

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-08, 09:56 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yo, I know where you coming from and I understand.

you guys are "technological freaks" and can't get 'nough of dat.

But aren't we all surrounded by technology from da house to da car to da work to da ballpark stadium to da malls, etc. ?

yo knows what I'm talkin' bout.

But for the SC and other covertible models, nothin' beats top down cruising, turn that b---arch voice navigation OFF and let the road takes it's course.

As a matter of fact, when I bought this car, I didn't buy it cause of the technology that if had offered back in '03, I bought it cause it was a convertible especially for a hard-top and that was enough for me.

Since I don't even use the NAV that much, very rarely, I doubt that I'll use all the other hi-tech gadgetry and toys that the next model may come out with.

I love this car cause of the top-down driving experience and the other items are just a distraction and in the way of the whole experience.

Again, this car isn't for everyone and this topic has been discussed numerous times from other threads so I won't get into the details about that.

But at least you guys did take a look and tickled around w/ it to finally decide that it wasn't the right car for you.

Good luck on your search....teeman3

Last edited by martini3; 01-21-08 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-21-08, 10:32 AM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agree with Teeman completely.. The reason for the SC is the "easy" top down driving,, push and hold the button, and presto,, a convertible. The NAV is only an accessory. So, an idea,, instead of going out and plunking $65K or so down on an '08 SC,, get into the used market since basically, the cars are "techno-equivalent" from 02 to 08, except that is,, for the intro in '06 of the new tranny. You'll have all the instant "top down" fun of the SC and the NAV won't bother so much since it is an "older" car!! Plus,, there are many great, "cared for" used SCs out there.
Old 01-22-08, 09:13 AM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know when you make a decison and post pics.

Although many of the gadgets just don't matter to me, I wonder why Lexus didn't at least update the darn Nav screen. This seems like a 'simple' update, but I guess there is more to it than that.

Based on the Detroit auto-show from week before last, the SC isn't due for any kind of udate or anything unitl at least 2010. This is based upon the president of Toyota talking about all the new models and vehicle updates through that time and the SC wasn't mentioned. One of the models that you may be interested in (keeping you in the lexus family) may be the hard top convert IS. They said the hard top opens/closes in just 20 seconds and I'm assuming it will have all the bells and whistles as the rest of the line up (could mean the end of the SC too).

Whatever you decide - good luck.
Old 01-22-08, 09:28 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexustom
How long will the wait be for a replacement? Not sure anyone really knows and those that might know don't seem to be talking.
No one knows for sure, at least not anyone outside of Lexus. But I would bet that the '09 or '10 model at the very latest will be a complete redesign. Which is why I think they're holding back on the technology now. They want the new SC to make a bigger impact so that everyone with an '07 or '08 will have to have it.
Old 01-22-08, 03:24 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Lugnuts. Buy a nice used one for about $30K. Then buy a Nuvi for $600 and save yourself $35K over the '08.

When the new SC comes out you can make up your mind if the newer electronics are worth $65-70K. I bet you won't need them that much.......
Old 01-24-08, 10:08 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

All of your help/advice is so great. I printed out the whole thread and my wife and I read it yesterday AM while out for breakfast. For reasons I won't address in this thread I haven't gone the "used car" routine for many, many years. But, what you all say does make sense if I could find a really nice, really cared for SC with reasonably low mileage (Ha) .......well buying it would indeed make sense. Then, when the "whatever" comes out in "whatever" year I could jump.

I'm blessed in that I can even consider such a nice car. I remember my earlier days clearly, when a new, stripped Corolla was almost out of my ability to buy.

We shall see. I am working on this.
Old 01-25-08, 03:00 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the tactics I used is I found out the owner of a dealership liked to drive an SC. He was going from an 06 to an 07 so I was able to get a pretty good discount off the price(-15k) with only 15k or so miles. Since the car was never titled I am listed as the first owner and I negotiated a Lexus platinum 100k warranty as well. You never know may be worth a few phone calls to see what the owners of the area Lexus dealerships drive.
Good luck,

JTMav
Old 01-26-08, 03:42 PM
BigHat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wait

'06 or '08 this car is so "yesterday", no day before yesterday. I wouldn't be spend a penny on one.
Sadly, one of the biggest and fairest hits on Lexus is they simply carry stale body styles waaaaay too long.
This car has always lacked passion. Great for a 60 year old Mary Kay saleswomen in Boca, but offers little to a true car fan.

Lexus, bring us the next one and be sure to add a little performance this time.
Old 01-26-08, 11:24 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Here's a shocker for us. Me especially.

I went and looked at Corvettes today. Particularly the ZO6. Not too bad I must say. And BOY do they want to sell me a car!! Whew. I know, I know, it's not a Lexus and "No" the top doesn't go down. It's just a Chevy but I will tell you it did get my attention.

Now I'm not a stranger to Corvettes........I have a barely used (don't ask why it's barely used please) C5 in the garage........but in the 8 years since I purchased my 2000 they have certainly made some very nice changes.

I am afraid I am finding myself starting to completely agree with BigHat. He articulated what I'm feeling about the SC. I could see myself with a ZO6. And the "seeing myself in it" is a start.

We shall just see. I don't have to do anything in haste.