Hearing the siren call of an '08 SC430`

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-08, 03:09 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hearing the siren call of an '08 SC430`

Hi there fellow CL members.

I am reasonably active on the IS350 side and now have a need for another car. (See "I lost my IS350" on the 2nd gen IS forum)

The IS350 has really sold me on all this new technology. I just love the "push button" start and on my IS I have the PCS/radar cruise which I thoroughly enjoy. Park assist, etc. really puts a smile on my face.

My wife and I drove a new '08 SC yesterday and really were dazzled by the solid, "big car feel" and of course the TOP goes down! Very neat indeed. But the sales person said it is bascially an '02 developed car. OK if I hadn't gotten so spoiled by the techno stuff on our IS350. Dealer also said this is probably the last year for the SC430. Do I really want to spend some serious $ on '02 technology and own the last of the series? Sure did like the many pluses of that car though. Dealer said they would make me a "killer" deal. (whatever that means?) Maybe a good deal would help forget the car uses a key.

I/we keep our cars a pretty long time --10 to 15 years-- and I can see us loving the car over the long haul.

What do you all think? And yes, I know I'm on the SC430 side where you all LOVE your cars. I just want a tiny bit of practicality.

Oh yeah, I don't want to wait for whatever Toyota/Lexus is going to offer us next. Seems like it is always "just around the next bend".

Thanks for listening.
Old 01-12-08, 03:21 PM
SC430Sam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan to keep this car for a while, this one will last you. It is the top in all of the luxury sports cars ratings for reliability. Yeah the technology is not great, but starting with 2005 they have added bluetooth in it. There have been some advances through the life of the car, so it is not REALLY 2002, but a similar look.

Overall it is an outstanding car, and you will find very few people who have owned them with complaints. It has style, comfort, reliability, etc. It is a Lexus.
Old 01-12-08, 03:27 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coming from the IS you will notice a huge difference in technologies. The sales person was correct in referring to our cars as a 02 based model. The creature comforts; such as push button start, cooled seats, radar cruise, updated navigation are not available on the sc. If you enjoy those little amenities then by all means you should wait for the new sc or look into getting a bmw or benz, since their converts tend to have more gadgets in them.

Now if you see that the gadgets are not that much of a deal breaker and you find yourself infatuated with this car as have many of us owners are, then you should look into buying a used SC. Technically if you were to buy a 06 model, you would still have all the options/look of the new 08’s but with a substantially lower price.

See the main thing is what you are content with, I went from driving a 95 sc400 to my sc430 so the options that it had blew me away, and to this day I am completely satisfied. But for someone who has experienced the lavishness and technologies of a newer car, it tends to be a drag to put up with the SC's dated systems.

If you are near La I will be more than happy to meet you up for lunch, and give you a chance to really look the car over, granted mine is a little older but you will get the point.

Last edited by Lexiss_sc430; 01-13-08 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-12-08, 04:05 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe you could get the Luxlink remote roof / remote start and that might make up for the the button start
Old 01-12-08, 04:25 PM
CenterIsl
Pit Crew

I'd suggest you start out with an 02/03/04 and see if you like the car first before buying the 08 - if you buy the right car you shouldn't lose anything on the value in 6 months or so and you'll just be out the sales tax (not sure what this is in California).
Old 01-12-08, 06:21 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Get the 2006 SC430, no other year, you get a price break since its 2 yrs old and you get the updated headlights, AFS, 6 speed tranny.
Old 01-12-08, 08:59 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

You guys are great. Thanks so much for your collective input. I agree with all of you that it is a very special automobile. I will keep you posted as to where this journey goes.
Old 01-13-08, 06:38 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

get the 05 or 06 if u wants to save some dough.
Or get the 07 new.

this car is definitely going to be a limited model after it discontinues there aren't alot of them.

so it's a keeper.

good luck...teeman3
Old 01-14-08, 02:47 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having had both an '03 and an '06 I strongly urge you to find an '06 or better. The changes were noticeable, especially with a six speed and reprogrammed ECU chip. Bluetooth, upgraded headlights, tail lights and few odds and ends are worth it. Best of luck and let us know when you pull the trigger.

JTMav
Old 01-14-08, 05:47 AM
Addiction2
Driver

My two cents is that you do the same thing I am doing. Since there is not any significant difference across the production years of the SC (at least in my opinion) I simply bought a used one and slapped some rims on it, added blue tooth and ipod controller and plan some minimal performance upgrades. My plan is when they finally upgrade the SC or introduce a new one to trade the one I hvae currently for the new one with the great technonolgy.
Old 01-14-08, 10:13 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CenterIsl
I'd suggest you start out with an 02/03/04 and see if you like the car first before buying the 08 - if you buy the right car you shouldn't lose anything on the value in 6 months or so and you'll just be out the sales tax (not sure what this is in California).
You don't want the `02 car; there were problems with the top (mechanisms and seals) and the stereo. I am not suggesting that the `02 car was a lemon, but it had some problems that needed to be corrected (and those were in the later models). If I were looking (again) at the SC430, I'd probably be looking at the `06, or later models because of the added technology and the improved transmission. WARNING! Once you go into a top-down car, you'll never go back!

My assessment of the SC430 is that it's a good bargain in addition to being a very reliable car in it's class segment. However, it's a luxury cruiser as opposed to a sports car; indeed, the SC430 might be the "least quickest" among cars in its class. The only concerns I would have in purchasing (or leasing) an `08 is that the SC430 has been in production for quite a while (7 years) and that, in addition to its other able competitors on the market, there are many, many pre-owned SCs to be had.
Old 01-14-08, 10:51 AM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

I'm not sure why lexus hasn't added the ventilated seats or push button start to the SC. However, the engine tweak and new six-speed transmission still make it a technoligically sound and current car (even minus a couple extra aforementioned bells wistles).

Obviously it would be nice if it matched some of the other creature comforts offered on the market, and I'm sure the next one (if there is a next) will. However, there still aren't too many cars that can boast a 6 speed transmission. It's not nearly as quick as it competitors, but it's not really meant to be either, the SC is a touring type car not a sports.

I say all this just to say, the SC is a great car and still 'advanced'. It just that sometimes we can forget how advanced it is due to the bells and whistles and by whom the 'critics' choose to say it competes with. I think the SC has a special niche and a truly unique design that nothing else on the road really competes well with it (when you consider what it was designed to be).

Last edited by KSUFlasher; 01-14-08 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-18-08, 06:09 AM
Collins
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by Lexustom
Hi there fellow CL members.

I am reasonably active on the IS350 side and now have a need for another car. (See "I lost my IS350" on the 2nd gen IS forum)

The IS350 has really sold me on all this new technology. I just love the "push button" start and on my IS I have the PCS/radar cruise which I thoroughly enjoy. Park assist, etc. really puts a smile on my face.

My wife and I drove a new '08 SC yesterday and really were dazzled by the solid, "big car feel" and of course the TOP goes down! Very neat indeed. But the sales person said it is bascially an '02 developed car. OK if I hadn't gotten so spoiled by the techno stuff on our IS350. Dealer also said this is probably the last year for the SC430. Do I really want to spend some serious $ on '02 technology and own the last of the series? Sure did like the many pluses of that car though. Dealer said they would make me a "killer" deal. (whatever that means?) Maybe a good deal would help forget the car uses a key.

I/we keep our cars a pretty long time --10 to 15 years-- and I can see us loving the car over the long haul.

What do you all think? And yes, I know I'm on the SC430 side where you all LOVE your cars. I just want a tiny bit of practicality.

Oh yeah, I don't want to wait for whatever Toyota/Lexus is going to offer us next. Seems like it is always "just around the next bend".

Thanks for listening.
I would wait...although this car is in my opinion is long overdue for a redesign and technology update it is by far the most reliable of the luxury sport cars. I think Lexus has missed opportunities to update this car along the way. I feel many have postponed purchasing the SC because of a lack of push button start, new sound system(CD only), gen 5 navigation system. Just these items along could have been incorporated into the car throughout the years and sales for 06 and 07 would have been much higher. What is their reasoning for not add these updates that don't require a big retooling of the car? It almost makes me think this car will go away. If you want a vintage car then you should buy it. Come on Lexus!!!!!
Old 01-18-08, 05:21 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know, we have an 07 ES 350 with all the bells and whistles that my better half drives and I am as much a gadget freak as anyone, my 06 SC has enough to keep me happy. Focusing on the ride, power and handling with the 06 upgrades I couldn't be happier. At the rate cars are changing and the level of technology they are coming with the life cycle may mirror the pc. To each his own, push button start is nice but it does have it's drawbacks. Oh well as they say
YMMV

JTMav
Old 01-20-08, 10:27 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

My wife and I spent some serious time again today (Sun.) looking at new '08 SC's. What a beautiful car. BUT.........as we talked about it we decided we can give up push-button start, no parking assist, no rear view camera, no PCS/Radar cruise, but we just can't get past the navigation screen after having been spoiled by the gen. five (I think) system in our IS350. We keep saying "Yeah but the top going up and down is great" and "The car is quiet and smooth" and "It looks very good from all angles" In our opinion of course. (and of course those of you reading this) Then we get back in the IS and say "Wow" this nav. screen is SOOOO good. Why oh why couldn't or wouldn't Lexus update it in the SC for us '08 buyers? Looks like to me they have abandoned that model for now. The dealerships readily admit it's gotten a bit (ok quite a bit) dated but the quality is there and they are sure we'll love it. Probably so until each time we use the Nav and then get in the IS and use it's Nav. I never, ever thought that at my age all the techno stuff on a car would so win me over. The wife too is a bit surprised about what has happened to us.

So, I think we're going to either wait or wash over into non-Lexus territory and that is a bit disconcerting to us. How long will the wait be for a replacement? Not sure anyone really knows and those that might know don't seem to be talking.

Thanks again for all your responses. I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Hearing the siren call of an '08 SC430`