Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

To lower or not to lower

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 04:51 AM
Addiction2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To lower or not to lower

So I have not checked in in a bit, and of course this thread will be meaningless without pics which I don't have yet.

However I've added the Viastech iPod controller, Parrot Bluetooth piece and 20 inch rims (8.5 all around, liked the idea of still being able to rotate). So the next things on my list are:

- Suspension
- Intake
- Exhaust
- Torque Converter

However for me most of these things are optional. I'm currently leaning towards doing no performance mods and getting myself ZX14 (bike) for when I want to really ball out. And leaving this car, which is reasonably powered stock, as is. That would still leave the question of to lower or not to lower. So I'm curious how many people have not lowered thier car? How many of the people who didn't lower are on stock wheels?

In the Washington and Baltimore areas the streets are simply a wreck, I don't know that I want to get closer to the ground here considering. That I'm still not personally sold on the cost of this improvement versus what you actually get. Especially given my plan is trade this car as soon as (or even if I ever can) I can get the new body style SC, or its replacement. Adding anything else is just more to part out later.

So thoughts?
Old 01-16-08, 07:07 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be no issue dropping the car, as you have increased the height by putting 20" wheels on.

If you want to see really bad roads come to England
Old 01-16-08, 09:13 AM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

If you're waiting on the new body SC, you'll likely be waiting a few years. So whatever you decide to do (or not), you should think about, 2010 seem to be the earliest possible timing for a real change but 2011 or 2012 more likely.

IMO lowering doesn't add much to the car. I've seen the same color wheel set up SC next to each other (one lowered the other not) and there wasn't much of a difference. We did a very 'non-scientific' research study and asked about 15 or so people which they liked better and all but 2 said they were the same - they didn't notice the difference. When we told them one had been lowered they then noticed it, but didn't think it looked any better or more agressive or whatever.

I think a nice set of rims can really make a difference on this car. I still have my stock g-spider wheels (much better than the standard 'pie plates' to me) and I'm satifisfied. I don't really need the extra 'bling' because the car itself gets enough attention.

So for the money, I'd get new wheels and not worry about lowering. I'm not sure how bad your streets are but if they are really bad, lowering certainly won't help things at all (but I'm not sure if they will hurt either).
Old 01-16-08, 11:00 AM
Addiction2
Driver

Originally Posted by KSUFlasher
So for the money, I'd get new wheels and not worry about lowering. I'm not sure how bad your streets are but if they are really bad, lowering certainly won't help things at all (but I'm not sure if they will hurt either).
Have new wheels already so no need to get more.
Old 01-16-08, 11:01 AM
Addiction2
Driver

Originally Posted by aquanuke
Should be no issue dropping the car, as you have increased the height by putting 20" wheels on.

If you want to see really bad roads come to England
I actually think my wheels are the same total circumfrence as they were previously. I grew the rim but shrunk the tire, should be the same right?
Old 01-16-08, 12:59 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Addiction2
I actually think my wheels are the same total circumfrence as they were previously. I grew the rim but shrunk the tire, should be the same right?
You should find the new wheels bigger (mine are) try this

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

oem wheels are 245/40/18
Old 01-16-08, 04:03 PM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the site I always use for tire size comparisions

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos
Old 01-16-08, 04:44 PM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

lower
Old 01-16-08, 05:30 PM
NiteOwl
Driver

Spend as much money as it takes to keep you from purchasing a donorcycle. Why own/operate something that is your ticket to a fatality waiting to happen...anyways off my soapbox now.

I would put a set of coilovers on it, better handling/better looks. I always do suspension first, but then I really enjoy rolling off exit ramps at as high a speed as possible.

I wouldn't mess with intake/exhaust. Its a classy car that doesn't need to be Civic'd out by emitting all kinds of noise. Again, just my opinion but I had my share of loud cars in my younger years so if thats your thing go for it.

I don't have any experience with a torque converter on a japanese car, but I would be concerned about the long term reliability and how it impacts that trans. I may be way off on that one, but just my initial thoughts.

Good luck with your new car - I am sure you will enjoy it.
Old 01-16-08, 05:57 PM
whokiid
Driver

Cool

Originally Posted by NiteOwl

I wouldn't mess with intake/exhaust. Its a classy car that doesn't need to be Civic'd out by emitting all kinds of noise. Again, just my opinion but I had my share of loud cars in my younger years so if thats your thing go for it.
The exhausts that I know of that are out for the SC430 are relatively quiet and wouldnt really "rice out" the car. I have an Injen intake and Blitz exhaust on mine and my friends can't really hear it from 10 feet away.

As far as lowering goes, it will definitely make the car look better. With the right wheels AND lowering springs/ coilovers, it will look 10000000000x better.
Old 01-16-08, 06:44 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep in mind that depending on how low you go the front suspension does not offer the flexibility for proper wheel alignment which is very common on the front of the SC and GS-same suspension. Inner tire wear will most likely result over the stock height.
Old 01-17-08, 03:47 AM
Addiction2
Driver

Originally Posted by NiteOwl
Spend as much money as it takes to keep you from purchasing a donorcycle. Why own/operate something that is your ticket to a fatality waiting to happen...anyways off my soapbox now.

My wife is also against the motorcycle, but only time will tell. I don't see myself building this car up to the level of performance I'd like it to have (another 50 horsepower, better handling) but its possible I suppose. Or I may just learn to live with it, its not an awful driving experience by an stretch.

The exhaust modification wouldn't be for sound, but when you compare performance mods typically exhaust gives you one of the best dollar per horsepower trade ups available. i don't want a loud car, heck I don't even want a really fast car. But I wouldn't mind a faster one.
Old 01-17-08, 09:40 AM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

Seems like a lot of opinions here. Obviously in the end the only ones that matters are yours. Whatever you decide we look forward to seeing the pics.

Good luck
Old 01-17-08, 04:13 PM
Addiction2
Driver

Originally Posted by KSUFlasher
Seems like a lot of opinions here. Obviously in the end the only ones that matters are yours. Whatever you decide we look forward to seeing the pics.

Good luck
I've got two things left to do. I need to get my drivers door painted its got some scratches that are driving me crazy. And I need to get my Luxlink installed. After that I think I'm golden for a little while. And then there will be pics galore. I also need to think about do I or don't I kit.
Old 01-17-08, 04:42 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

I say lower it. I hate it when I see cars on wheel with BIG fender gaps, it just makes me sick.

A lowered car can make wheels look nice. Night and day difference.

Quick Reply: To lower or not to lower