Rare1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Habious, looks good, post pics up of the install if you have them. Nice Work
Old 01-31-08, 12:19 PM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as for mini keyboards, there is one for the 360 control pad that might be able to be modified, good luck with it,, looking good by the way. That touchscreen access woulda been awesome though
Old 02-06-08, 11:08 PM
prex
Driver

Hi - great work, I haven't read forums in forever but it was great to see someone doing same/similar to what I've done (see old post at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=284642) back in early 2007. Your switch work is great, details like that really turn something from bolting in a PC to something amazing.

FWIW, wiring in the Extron box to get proper VGA to RGB/S conversion vs going the s-video route really cleaned up the video for me, but you may be very happy with what you have.

Will be looking forward to seeing what else you do with your car.

best,
-b
Old 02-07-08, 06:55 AM
stw
Rookie

awesome! !!!
Old 02-07-08, 07:25 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

prex,

My video signal is quite usable but, it's not as good as I would like/expected. I did a quick Google search and it looks like the Extron Emotia Scan Converter is a 19" rack-mountable unit. Is that what you've got in the trunk of your car or is there a "little box" version of it?

I'll be honest, I'm not an AV expert. If I can find a solution that gives me better video quality for a reasonable price, I'll get right on it. However, what I've got is acceptable/usable now so, if it's $1,500.00 to make it better, it'll stay the way it is!!

A quick Google search turned up this...

http://www.avsuperstore.com/moreinfo...onics/VP-501xl

Which I no nothing about other than it's a compact unit, reasonably priced, appears to run on 12 volts (that makes life simpler) and has a VGA in with a Composite out.

What's your thoughts on this?

UPDATE: I found is...

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0213567

...which is in-stock at my local MicroCenter store. I'm going to pick one up tonight and give it a shot. The reviews on the video quality are excellent. It doesn't have many (any) options but, I don't think I really need them...and it's 50 bucks! If it doesn't do the trick, I can always return it.

Whee...this is fun!

Also, I was doing some research last night. The DC-to-DC power supply I have has a "Pulse boot" option. Basically, there's a line into the power supply that, if it receives a burst of DC, it'll start the Carputer booting. I'm going to try to tie this into the unlock circuit. So, when I hit the unlock button on the remote, the computer starts to boot then...rather than waiting for me to start the car before it starts to boot (which is how it is now). God, I'm a geek!

Last edited by Habious; 02-07-08 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-07-08, 10:05 AM
bt430
Pole Position

Greg

What are you doing about not rebooting all the time. What I mean is for short trips do you have a circuit that keeps the computer alive or does it have to reboot every time the car starts?

I gotta see this thing what time you heading over to Micro Center?

BT
Old 02-07-08, 10:18 AM
Habious
Pole Position

It reboots each time I shut the car off (the power supply starts the shutdown process as soon as it loses the ignition sense). However, the computer boots up in literally 60 seconds. I park in a garage both at home and at work and, in both places, by the time I get the car out of the garage and in position to receive the satellite radio signal, the computer is up and waiting for that signal.

The power supply has a LOT of options...there may be a delay option to keep the computer running for X minutes after ignition sense is lost. I'll have to download the manual and take a look.

Wife and I are planning to grab a quick dinner at home and then head over. Probably be there around 8. Did you want to meet up there? If you do, just PM me or give me a call on my cell phone (I think I sent it to you via PM last week).

-Greg
Old 02-07-08, 10:23 AM
Habious
Pole Position

The internet's a wonderful thing...I just pulled up the manual for the power supply. You can set the shutdown delay time to either 6 seconds (default) or 15 minutes. I think I'll change mine to the 15 minutes so that, during the short stops you mentioned, the Carputer won't shut down.
Old 02-07-08, 12:26 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious, did you (or will you) have to change your battery to handle the additional powered devices you have installed? Nice work and very informative thread.
Old 02-07-08, 01:23 PM
Habious
Pole Position

I have not...nor do I have any plans to. I ran a dedicated 15 amp (fused) wire direct from the battery. This is the main source of power for the Carputer. I've also tapped into a switched 12V source in the trunk (only on when the ignition is on). The Carputer uses this switched signal to know when to boot up and shut down. When the car is running, the alternator puts out plenty of juice to run it. When I shut off the ignition, the computer starts to shut down so, as long as I've got a healthy battery, there should be no issues.

I know some folks who put in those über-powerful high-end stereos often have to install a high-output alternator to push enough current to power everything but, I'm not anywhere near that level.

The cigarette lighter/accessory port in the center console is rated at 15 amps so, the folks who built the car don't think that's too much of a strain on the factory alternator.
Old 02-07-08, 07:56 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Default Stupid people should not be allowed to become engineers

OK, well, I picked up a scan converter tonight. I didn't pick up the one I was originally planning to get (see above), I got what I thought was a nicer one. It has a bit more flexibility with settings and options. Looks like I should have just gotten the cheap one.

If you'd asked me to list 10 potential problems I might encounter, the one I encountered would NEVER have made the list.

The device is powered by the USB port. Very handy, especially in this application. However, it has a "soft" power switch...and the device defaults to the off position. That's right, it power up off. So, if I want to use it, I have to go to the trunk of my car and turn it on EVERY TIME I START THE CAR!

Idiots. Obviously, I'm going to return it tomorrow and get the simpler one, which doesn't appear to even have a power switch.

Video looked nice though!
Old 02-07-08, 09:12 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

so when are you doing the traveling installation tour? put me down when you get to vegas
Old 02-07-08, 09:28 PM
Habious
Pole Position

The wife wants to go out to the west coast this summer. I've tried but, I can't talk her into driving out there!
Old 02-07-08, 09:50 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

didn't want to see it in your car. want to see it in mine. kidding. but it's not exactly something you can get at the local car audio shop.
Old 02-08-08, 12:08 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool to finally see a carputer in a SC430...I've had mine for at least 3-4 years now and love every second of it!

You might want to look into the Fusion brain, which I am working on right now to control various things on the car with the carputer. Also, Road Runner seems to be the front end of choice for those with a little more programming knowledge...free too! Good job!

Quick Reply: My Carputer