SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Proud new member/owner of SC430!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08 | 06:00 AM
baboya96
Intermediate

Default Proud new member/owner of SC430!!!

Hello all,

So last night, I finally took the delivery... I am now a proud owner of 04 SC430 Black/Black w/ 38.5k miles. Deal didn't go as well as I intially wanted it but I decided to step back and let the dealer have it. I guess sometimes you can't win it all!!! Car itself is in prestine condition. I have absolutely loved this car since it came out in 02 and I can't believe I finally own one! This is my first Lexus, V8 and convertible. Coming from Acura, I don't expect any major difference in quality of the vehicle but we shall see... Here is a little photo. (I hope the link works)

So here are some questions that I'm hoping some of you guys can clarify for me...

I was given (2) master keys. I'd assume there is a valet key(misp?)?
Manuals & Books are ordered. Anything else I'm supposed to get with the car?
With the top up, at higher speed (>55mph) I'm hearing somewhat 'wind' noise. It seems as it's coming from the gap between windshield and actual top. Is this normal? Do I basically need better gasket? Something under warranty?
I was told, I have the second latest generation on navi system. Can this be upgraded?
Roughly on average, how long does it take for top to go up/down? 25seconds-ish???
What's the best option available for ipod integration? I want somethingt that can be controlled thru the stock stereo system.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-31-08 | 06:17 AM
stw
Rookie

sorry, i don't have the answers, but CONGRATS!
Old 01-31-08 | 07:00 AM
margaux01
Driver

Congrats on your dream come true I too have loved this car since it first came out but had to wait a few years to get mine. Yes, there is a valet key, and a card key as well. I have never timed it but it takes about 20 seconds or so to have the top come down. It's not very quick but not a problem for me.
Old 01-31-08 | 07:09 AM
baboya96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by margaux01
Congrats on your dream come true I too have loved this car since it first came out but had to wait a few years to get mine. Yes, there is a valet key, and a card key as well. I have never timed it but it takes about 20 seconds or so to have the top come down. It's not very quick but not a problem for me.
Yes, I was afraid there is a valet key. I assume it's only good for locking arm rest and compartment area??? Dealer indicates they 'don't' have it. I don't believe it's something that would order it for me anyway since I got (2) master keys.

As far as card key, are you sure that was only offered on 06-later? How does it work anyway?
Old 01-31-08 | 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

1) there is valet key and card key, get them from dealership, they should provide you
2) manual, nav manual, and some other junk
3) take it back to dealership to have it checked out. test drive another sc430 to see the difference
4) you have gen 3, i believe sc430 is at gen 4 now (newest is gen 5, but not available on sc430). it would be big money to change to gen 4, i believe the brain and software all different. gen 4 has bluetooth and voice recognition. you can still update the map dvd
5) 29 seconds or something like that
6) try vaistech

congrats on your car
Old 01-31-08 | 09:49 AM
baboya96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rominl
1) there is valet key and card key, get them from dealership, they should provide you
2) manual, nav manual, and some other junk
3) take it back to dealership to have it checked out. test drive another sc430 to see the difference
4) you have gen 3, i believe sc430 is at gen 4 now (newest is gen 5, but not available on sc430). it would be big money to change to gen 4, i believe the brain and software all different. gen 4 has bluetooth and voice recognition. you can still update the map dvd
5) 29 seconds or something like that
6) try vaistech

congrats on your car
What's the card key? Do you have a picture of it? I'm aware of ones for newer IS/LS but wasn't sure if they offered that for 04 SC.

So are you saying most SC owners do not notice any wind noise when the top's up?

Thanks for answering my questions.
Old 01-31-08 | 10:03 AM
SC430Sam
Driver

Not a single bit of wind noise when the top it up. It has been sealed very well (when it is right). It sounds as if it may not be right in your situation.

The card key is a black plastic credit card shaped holder with a little key that slides into it. The black holder is about 3 credit cards thick, and the key is just good for getting the car doors open.
Old 01-31-08 | 10:16 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Congrats on the SC!
Old 01-31-08 | 10:18 AM
1NEAT_SC
Pole Position

Congratulations on your purchase and wellcome to Clublexus. I understand the excitement as I have gone through the same. Really can't wait for the sun to shine in Indy.

4-8" of snow expected tonight. yuk!! My wife had to take the SC this morning to work because of lights left on in the 4runner this morning. sigh... I told her if she finds that she has a problem with traction to put the top down and it'll give her more weight in the rear for traction.

I have an SC 2002 and don't have any wind noise. Car runs and looks as near to perfect as one could get. Top goes back/forward in about 25 seconds. You should see your dealer for all the missing info/keys etc. And agree with Romini on all of his points. The dealership should give you everything that comes with the vehicle.

Nice looking vehicle but can't say the same for the guy standing next to it.

Good luck with your purchase.

lar
Old 01-31-08 | 10:35 AM
talwang

The wind noise is probably caused by worn weather strip, mine was replaced under warranty back in 2004.

If your car is bought from a Lexus dealer and it is still under warranty, there is nothing you should worry about.
Old 01-31-08 | 10:40 AM
baboya96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SC430Sam
Not a single bit of wind noise when the top it up. It has been sealed very well (when it is right). It sounds as if it may not be right in your situation.
Nothing at all, as if you were driving a coupe??? Do you think this is something warranty would cover? May be it's the seal itself? Kinda sucks that I bought it this way but at least now I know this isn't "normal".. any more experienced drivers???

Originally Posted by SC430Sam
The card key is a black plastic credit card shaped holder with a little key that slides into it. The black holder is about 3 credit cards thick, and the key is just good for getting the car doors open.
How does it open the doors? By sensor? So if you were near the vehicle, it automatically opens it? How big is key? Does it look like regular key or valet key? Sounds pretty convienient but not sure if the dealer would order it now that I bought the car.
Old 01-31-08 | 11:03 AM
talwang

Straight answer?
That flat key is for emergency only.
A chip is built in the key case, so you can start the engine with that flat key.
Old 01-31-08 | 11:05 AM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Congrats on the SC!

The card key looks something like this:

I don't get much wind noise with the top up. Maybe as much as a regular non-convertible Lexus. I've driven all of my family/relative's rides (RX350, LS460, GS350, IS250) and I'd say the wind noise is about the same +/- a tiny %. I recommend driving another SC and doing some comparing.

Takes about 20-25 seconds to the top to fold and trunk to close.
Old 01-31-08 | 11:08 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Congrats & welcome
Old 01-31-08 | 11:25 AM
baboya96
Intermediate

Originally Posted by talwang
Straight answer?
That flat key is for emergency only.
A chip is built in the key case, so you can start the engine with that flat key.
According to this link below, flat key is to open doors and trunk only. It doesn't say anything about being able to start the car. Is that not true? How do you even go about starting your car with it?

I just want to make sure I got everything from the dealer as I was supposed to. I'm new to Lexus... not sure of what the standards are.

Quick Reply: Proud new member/owner of SC430!!!