SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Test drove the '08 SC430...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 12:24 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob,

Initially, the SC430 comes w/ runflats w/out the spare and according to "science", you can go 55mph up to 100 miles on the runflat if you happen to hit a nail or sharp metal pointed object.

Needless to say, this has never happened to me while running w/ the runflats when I bought the car and ran them down to the metal wires on the inner thread.

After that, because of the successful pioneers of this website, I was able to switch them out and get my first set of non-runflat tires called Michelin Pilot A/S and took the chance of no spare because most of my local driving is within the city. Gosh Darn It, with these non-runflats I got like 3 nails and one of them was a big-a-- screw. And the non-runflat tire kept on going until I noticed a clanking and clicking noise coming from the pavement as I was driving. I just stopped by a local tire shop and patched it up nicely.
Every incident I had a nail on this set was either going too close on the on-ramp going up the freeway or thru residential/commerical roads w/ heavy construction. Even though I didn't have a spare and was within my local radius of 10-15 miles, I was confident that even a mid-sized screw did not damage the tire to decrease the inflation at a rapid rate. As soon as I heard the weird clicking noise from the tire (w/ the window down) going slowly, I called my shop and came in the next day to patch it up.
I ran these for 25-30k miles.

The 2nd non-runflat set I have now w/ 10-15K miles on them is called Michelin Pilot PS2. I must say, no nail yet and these tires are way much better than the Michelin A/S. Excellent grip on dry/wet raod surfaces.
However, due to the RWD of this car, punching it too quickly on the gas pedal tends to cause the two rear wheels to spin fast thus losing a few seconds of good grip before the tire hits the pavement and launches w/ the vehicle. Again, no spare and I'm doing local city driving w/ no more than 30 miles radius. Other than that, I just may get this set again in the near future.

Anything more than 100 miles outside of my local radius, I recommend a spare just in case. There's a thread on here for some spare options and what to get. Just do a search.

Thanks...teeman3
Old 02-11-08, 05:16 PM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto on Teeman's post - We're running non-runflat Potenza's with no spare.. To cover the risk,, paying $12 per year for "towing" on the insurance policy.

We purchased an '04 a year ago and in so doing, drove two used SC's, one with runflats and one without as it so happened. The ride was unbelievably different - as can be witnessed in the many posts in this forum on the subject. The '04 we subsequently purchased had original runflats on it with 16K miles,, and they had to be replaced due to tread depth upon State inspection. Thank heavens,, as our "older" backs could not have withstood the runflats....
Old 02-11-08, 07:36 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Geez, I guess I'm paranoid. Started out with Dunlop run-flats. I got the Conti Comfort Kit when I had the run-flats...I know there are several threads on here about the Comfort kit and the potential for it to damage the TPMS sensors.

When it came time to get new tires, we got the Michelin Pilot A/S's and picked up a gently used spare tire kit for the trunk.

My parents live in the middle of freaking NOWHERE West Virginia...my wife's parents live in the middle of freaking NOWHERE in southern Virginia. Calling for a tow is a great idea...if you have cell phone coverage...if you can find a towing company out there.

The Conti Comfort kit is a nice belt to go with my spare tire suspenders. And, if for no other reason, it's really nice to have a 12V air compressor in the trunk of the car. Hopefully I'll never find out what effect that goop in the can has on my TPMS sensors.
Old 02-14-08, 07:16 AM
Dottiebubb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Teeman3! I have the towing insurance so I think your suggestion is the way to go!

Bob
Old 02-14-08, 10:05 AM
tm510
Rookie

Teeman3,

Can you comment on why the PS2 are better than the AS on the Pilots. I appreciate the input.

My consideration is the 'tolerance' to some snow. I know if I plan to use the car in winter I had better have four mounted snow tires. But sometimes you can get a fluke snowfall around her in May or June even. And I wonder if for such a case the AS might be better than the PS2.

Thanks.

P.S. Sorry to wonder off topic.
Old 02-14-08, 02:48 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

ok, so I'm not a rocket scientist or anything but when I went to tirerack.com
and read the specs for the different factors such as handling, noise level, comfort, etc. and compared the two tires - AS vs. PS2.

They rated very high overall and many people commented on both tires.

When it comes down to it, this was my thinking and experience.

The AS (to me and my thought process) was more of an agressive performance tread design which didn't last as long as the PS2's.

I also believe the PS2 rating had a higher tread count which could last more longer on the tread (I could be wrong).

The AS were very nice and my first experience w/ non-runflat hi-perf tires.
After the experience of 20k on the AS set, I did some research and read more about the PS2. Not as agressive as the AS in terms of tread design, but overall had the highest rating for all aspects and factors mentioned above.

So I went w/ the PS2 and took a gamble which really wasn't cause Michelin makes one of the best tires out there (abit pricey but great quality).

So far, these PS2 stick like glue and not much tread has worn off since I got them almost a year ago. They are rated in the perf category and performs well on dry and wet conditions. For snow, that I don't know and have no experience w/ them. Other folks may have feedback on this topic.

You spend a little extra to get a great tire knowing that it will perform safely and instataneously for you and your car in situations when you really need it.

That's my thinking....thanks...teeman3
Old 02-14-08, 05:23 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Very generous of you Teeman3...shows the great spirit of CL
Old 02-14-08, 08:02 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if noise is an issue.. just crank up the volume
hehehe
Old 02-16-08, 07:16 PM
tm510
Rookie

Thanks Teeman for sharing the thinking behind the decision. I wasn't sure where you reside (guessing California) so now I'm glad I didn;t just cart blance take your advice.

I need to stick to something with a bit of grip at temps close to freezing, and in a sciff of snow.

So the obvious question is "where is the Northpole that has no snow"?
:-)

Jerry
Old 02-16-08, 07:49 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

tm510,

This might give you more insight on the differences between the A/S and PS2.
It also mentions "snow".

Top 6 Max Performance Tires and Top 4 Extreme Performance Tires
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221625

Top 5 Ultra High Performance All Season Tires
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=221624

These are "stickies" which are useful info. threads at the top of each sub-category forum here on CL. They give you specific info. on anything and everything pertaining to your vehicle from OEM stock products to aftermarket ones.

That's how I got my non-runflat tires and now working on the 2nd set so I can compare the two. Sometimes, the 1st set may not best or better than the next set, so I had do some research and decide to go for the better one.

Most folks just stick to one specific brand and model product cause they know it works for them and can depend on it.

For me, if I know it works and have tested it, there's got to be a better one out there. I paid a little more on the PS2's, like 50 bucks more for the set and very happy that I did cause it was worth it.

I made the right choice. Every tire is made for every different road condition and depending on the area where you live, most of the top performing tires will have some kind of common technology that's compatible w/ most normal to extreme road conditions. You'll have to decide what tire that will perform to your need(s), your regular road conditions and what kind of output you want from the tire. For example, lower profile, stretched for VIP, noise, traction, handling, gripping for wet/dry, snow, etc.

check it out....thanks...teeman3

Last edited by martini3; 02-16-08 at 07:55 PM.