SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Test drove the '08 SC430...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-08, 05:42 PM
NorCal430
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Test drove the '08 SC430...

I love the idea of an SC430 so I decided to take one for a test drive.

I've read on the forum that many of you have replaced the runflat tires due to their harsh ride qualities. So I was expecting less than a true "Lexus" driving experience.

I was still surprised to find that the car drove as if it had wooden wheels. The salesman's explanation that, "It's a sports car" didn't make me any more comfortable. The noise on the freeway was also surprisingly loud.

At this point I'm not willing to buy a car that has a worse ride than my current car, an Acura RL.

It sounds like the non-runflat tires improve the ride, but I have no way of knowing how much short of driving in one.

So... what's the chance of one of the fine Club Lexus members in Northern California taking me for a spin in an SC430 that has non-runflat tires?

I'm in Marin County north of San Francisco, but I'm willing to drive anywhere in the Bay Area for a test drive.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Old 02-05-08, 07:49 PM
biggie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparing rides

20in rims with low profile > runflats IMHO

Not too much noise here....much less then my 2003 boxster s.

Last edited by biggie; 02-06-08 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-06-08, 10:54 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,

You've made some good points here after test driving the SC430.
I would give this car the benefit of the doubt because after several mods on mine, I feel that it rides better than original stock.

Some folks like the feel of stock and others do certain mods to either improve or enhance the ridability, performance, asthetics and stability of their car.

"Different strokes for different folks".

I have gotten rid of the runflats after running them down to the wire thread and completely baldness. (I wanted to get my money's worth from the factory Dunlop run-flats)

I switched to Michelin P/S and now running the A/S non-runflat and have not regretted the decision ever since.

My ride feels like of original stock w/ the smoothness of the ride and comfortness of the plush leather and sometimes better than stock ride.
The road noise is not loud in any way and cruising speeds of 60-65 is like floating in air while sitting on a soft pillow.

As a matter of fact, I'll be in Palo Alto this Saturday morning @ Starbucks Coffee at around 9am.

If you're interested in testing my ride, you can let me know and I'll send you a PM w/ the details.

thanks...teeman3
Old 02-06-08, 11:18 AM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the difference is like day and night. I run General Tires non-runflats and the SC is much smoother over bumps with less road noise and grips like no there's no tomorrow.
Old 02-06-08, 11:18 AM
Addiction2
Driver

I've got 20 inch rims with low profile tires and my ride is better than it was stock. It is slightly noiser than I''d liek but I rarely notice it.
Old 02-06-08, 04:50 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Smile I Agree no run flat SC430 for me!!

I sure enjoyed reading this thread, particularly the comment about the ride being like on wooden wheels! Here is my short story:

Yesterday, I went to buy a 2002 SC430 with 67K miles and priced at $23,684; it was a very clean one owner trade-in vehicle. The dealer said they went through a multi point inspection and decided to replace the tires. Oops, they put new Bridgestone run flats on it.

I arrived in my Jaguar convertible after a one hour drive, then I got in SC430 and went down the road and on to a freeway in the fancy roadster with the top down. I felt every little ridge, bump, stone and what have you through the vibration up the steering wheel. My seat was comfortable and if I took my hands off the wheel, it was sorta smooth. No alignment problem, it tracked perfectly. The difference between the run flats and my Jag was overwhelming.

Although that $23K price was not bad, I did not want to pay this amount for a car with that mileage when I did not like the ride. (I offered less, but was turned down)

So I am still looking for a SC430 in my color choice with regular tires and the spare kit or a car with a discounted price due to worn out run flats. I found one such car today, a 2003 in Florida for $28,600 with 39K miles and worn out run flats not yet replaced; I offered $25K and was turned down. So the search continues.

Sure would be nice to take a test drive in a car that did not have run flats. None of the cars for sale seem to have regular tires regardless of the color or year of the vehicle. One dealer told me that they always order run flat cars because they think the customers would not buy the roadster with no trunk storage space. I don't mind placing my suitcase or groceries in the back seat; isn't that what it is for?
Old 02-06-08, 05:46 PM
NorCal430
Rookie

Originally Posted by teeman3
As a matter of fact, I'll be in Palo Alto this Saturday morning @ Starbucks Coffee at around 9am.

If you're interested in testing my ride, you can let me know and I'll send you a PM w/ the details.

thanks...teeman3
OK teeman,

I'm up for it. Just PM me and we'll get together.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 02-07-08, 10:41 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

rcpeters,

I'm glad you're taking time to choose wisely and get the color/combo that you're most happy with. good luck and I hope you find your baby.

norcal430,

You've got mail.
Old 02-07-08, 01:17 PM
coach1
Pole Position

To each his own. If you like your Acura better than stick with it. The folks here are SC430 enthusiasts and know what they have. Tire and wheel choice is personal preference and will change the ride. If you're looking for a soft, cushy ride go with more side-wall. My 03 stock 18" wheels have Dunlap non-run-flat, and the ride is smooth and quiet. I had a 500sl for 13 yrs. The stock wheels and tires and twice the side-wall and yes it took the bumps better, but I would never go back. I love this car set-up just as it is.

My advice to you would be go to the dealers, or private party sellers and test a number of options. Frankly I wouldn't volunteer my car for a test drive unless I knew you very well. I drove several cars during my search and they all felt a little different depending on tires and how well they were taken care of. I paid over $30K 4 months ago for this 03 w/40K miles, based on condition and service record, I am very satisfied with the deal.
Old 02-09-08, 07:57 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

Really like that sc. very clean
Old 02-10-08, 02:04 PM
SC4_FI
Pole Position

how was the ride in it norcal?
Old 02-10-08, 03:27 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

in for feedback
Old 02-11-08, 11:01 AM
NorCal430
Rookie

You guys (and gals) are just too quick for me.

First I want to thank teeman for being generous enough to take the time to meet with me and allow me to drive his car. This really tells me more about the sense of community of Club Lexus than all the posts that I could read.

As far as the ride is concerned, it was night and day between the stock SC430 and teeman's car. The non-runflat tires on his car gave a ride that was great on potholed streets and perfectly smooth and quiet on the freeway. It was even quieter than my hardtop Acura. And as you can see from his picture the car makes a beautiful and stylish visual statement.

I understand that the wheels could make a difference to the ride because they are not stock, but they are TRD wheels and I don't think they affect the ride either way.

This has put me back in the market for an '07 or '08 SC430.

Lexus should comp teeman when this sale is made. Without him I was ready to walk.

I'm looking forward to making the trip down to the South Bay for the meet to what other members have done with their cars and to meet them in person.

Thanks again teeman,

Dave
Old 02-11-08, 11:21 AM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

I'm glad it worked out!
Old 02-11-08, 12:04 PM
Dottiebubb
Driver School Candidate

Teeman3, did you buy a donut for a spare or did you have the non-run flat tires from the start? I have a new '08 and it does drive rough on those bumpy roads.

bob

Quick Reply: Test drove the '08 SC430...