SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Vin Numbers / Build Date Rear Suspension "cushion" Resolution?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-02, 02:02 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Vin Numbers / Build Date Rear Suspension "cushion" Resolution?

A short time ago, there was a Post indicating that the way we could tell if our "Suspension Updates" had been taken care of at the Factory, was to verify that your VIN Number was Higher than a certain Number Level.

I also remember reading sometime back in late November of last year, and was also advised of this by my Selling Dealer, that all SC Models with a Build Date of November, 2001, or later, were already fitted with the "Update" at the Factory.

It now seems that some Units built and delivered After November, are still carrying the obsolete Rear Suspension Cushion, given that the VIN Number that represents the threshold level appears to be much higher than my SC, which had a Buid Date of late November.

Any one got a clue as to which story to believe, at this point?

Is there a valid way to substantiate the apparant correct answer?

"Confused in Carmel"

:eek:
Old 01-28-02, 05:31 PM
pot_head
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dunno. just took the car to the lexus dealership today. it snowed here yesterday and the roads are bumpy from the ice. dealer told me the roads are too bumpy and too icy for them to check. they also said my 'aftermarket' wheels dont help either. bull****. my wheels are 18x8 with a 45 offset i think with the stock runflats. dont know how my wheels can affect the suspension. are my wheels 'more stiff' than stock ones making my suspension clunk? some service at my dealership....giving me bullcrap. anyhow i'll check my build date and let u know. oh, my car was delivered in august so ya, my sc should be one of those that has the problem but my dealer is trying to avoid it. well, good luck.
Old 01-28-02, 06:42 PM
dingo
Driver

The wheels CAN affect it if they weigh more. Have you checked the difference in weight?

Typically run flats tires weigh more than regular tires but in this case I don't know if that is true and if so by how much. But the same suspension handles both run flat and non configurations so it is set up to handle a range of non-sprung weight ... sooo.. if the new wheels aren't much more in weight than the standards then I'd say you're being shot some bovine excretial material.. IMHO
Old 01-29-02, 07:41 AM
LexusEd
Driver School Candidate

pot_head ...

What is your dealer's name? That information may be helpful to others in this forum.
Old 01-29-02, 11:57 AM
pot_head
Driver

i gotta rephrase my last post. my tires ARE runflats and i THINK my offset is 45, but theres definatly no rubbing anywhere.

my dealer is in vancouver bc canada. and the dealer is Richmond Lexus.i dont think my wheels arent heavy at all. they are cheap 700$ wheels for the set brand new. they are ricer racing style wheels. i think they look better than stock so i picked these up 'for now' untill i can get 20's.

is there a sevice bullitin or recall or anything for the rear suspension 'cushion'? the dealer typed in my vin# but didnt say anything to me about any replacement parts for the suspension. or is this covered under warrantee where they actually have to see that something is definatly wrong before they fix it?

Last edited by pot_head; 01-29-02 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-01-02, 12:56 PM
Exhaloprez
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Check with your dealer's service General Manager. Lexus just issued an update for the vin numbers which have not received the retrofit during manufacture.