SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Convertible Top Noises

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-08, 07:33 PM
gls24
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Convertible Top Noises

I have a "clunking" noise which sounds as if it is coming from the passenger side of the roof when I drive into a parking lot and there is a ramp on the enrance and the car "torques." Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?
Old 02-07-08, 07:35 PM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

are you sure it's from the roof? I get clunking noises once in a while from the suspension/brake area when I slowly go over bumps. There are a bunch of threads that discusses that noise.
Maybe it has something to do with the latch?
Old 02-07-08, 07:44 PM
gls24
Driver School Candidate

At the risk of sounding like Rainman, it is definitely the roof.
Old 02-08-08, 01:41 AM
da-bizket
Pole Position

Even a stock SC top can make noise over time. Suspension mods increase body flex and can increase top noise. The top can be adjusted (latches and hinges) by the dealer. Even with mods the noise can be reduced to minimum (gone most of the time).

Mark (da-bizket)
Old 02-08-08, 08:36 AM
gls24
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I will give it a try. I can only hope this helps as the noise is pretty horrific.
Old 02-08-08, 09:12 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know exactly what you are talking about, Every time I go over a bump or up a drive way my roof makes this awful clunk.

So you guys think it’s just the bolts that are becoming loose?
Old 02-08-08, 10:41 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

When going over a uneven surface like backing out of a angled driveway at an angle there will be body flex. Every car will have them. Just the SC top is very snug and a loud pop will sound off. Like mark stated adjustments can be made to minimize the noise.

Also, I use rubber protectant on every rubber portion of the top assembly and those minor little annoying creaks are also gone.
Old 02-09-08, 08:04 PM
CenterIsl
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gls24
I have a "clunking" noise which sounds as if it is coming from the passenger side of the roof when I drive into a parking lot and there is a ramp on the enrance and the car "torques." Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem?
I have a similar problem, with a different sound - more like a sharp "click". I found I could cause the sound to occur by pressing on the interior corner of the rear window panel. I took it to the dealer, they said they identified the problem and fixed it with TSIB NV005-03. I asked what this TSIB involved, and they said it was something to do with the mounting of the rear window. OK, I press on that spot and no more sound. Good. Then I drive home and discover that the sharp "click" when the car flexes (not from a bump, more like if you drove over a raised area with one side of the car) is still there. Damn. Talked to the dealership, will take it back tomorrow for further investigation. <fingers crossed>
Old 02-09-08, 08:52 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup.....I hear a very minor ca-clunk, thumpity thump while going onto and down to driveways. At first, it was a little annoying but after a while, it became an "accustomed" to rather than a "problem" for me.

It's somewhat common due to retractable top, but like Pearlpower suggests, with some elbow "grease", it can be minimized.
Old 02-10-08, 06:24 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

hello all, .... I too am getting this "clunk" noise after hitting the "first" bump. What I mean by "first" bump is that it occurs most of the time during the first bump that I hit, then wont happen when I hit a second bump later on. It occurs when the car sits(parking) for a little bit.

also someone mentioned that, uneven surfaces causes it too, ie.....putting in reverse, backing up slowly on uneven surfaces causes that "clunk" noise. Its obviously from where the top of the windshield touches the roof.

my question is when I bring it to the dealership, what do I say to them this second time around? I brought it in once before and they test drove it, and nothing made that "clunk" noise.... Like I said it only happens in the beginning, the inital first bumps and after letting the car sit for a while on park.

Is there a TSB number that I can give them? numbers.....?

because If i go in the dealership and say, can you check the hinges/latches on the roof-front windshield attachment....they will probably not know what to do. We as owners of this vehicle probably know and see more of the latches (conections between the roof and front windshield) than the service guys do at the dealership.

is there a TSB # so that atleast the service guys know what to even look for?

anyone?????
Old 02-11-08, 02:35 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

anyone?
Old 02-11-08, 06:52 PM
CenterIsl
Pit Crew

No answer yet on my top creaking problem, but I rode with the dealer technican around the parking lot and easily replicated the problem. He said his approach will be to remove all of the trim first and see if the noise in the top structure, and if that's eliminated put back the trim piece by piece until it re-occurs. Should have more data tomorrow...
Old 02-13-08, 06:53 AM
98LexSc400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this same problem on my 03 and took it to 2 Lexus dealers the first one did many adjustments from what my paperwork showed but I still heard the loud noise. Took it back they worked on isolating what they called the package tray. But I still heard the popping sounds on inclines or over bumps. I then took it too a second dealer. They claimed the noise was coming from outside and worked on some bracket for the fender near the windshield that had to be replaced and welded not sure what they did I never saw it apart. And they also told me they found something loose in my passenger door panel causing a noise. But after getting all this looked at under warranty I still had the same noise. Then I met a veteran Lexus technician that took a quick look at my car and had me put the top down. He looked at the 2 guide pins that come out of the roof and go into the upper windshield header panel when the top is closed. He showed me the wear on these pins that are plastic. He told me to get some felt tape and wrap it around the pins. But not to thick just enough to compensate for what has worn away. Well I did that on my own and the noise stopped the car is completely quite now for the first time. I am sure once the top goes up and down a few times the tape will wear but it is an easy and quick fix. And this got rid of the loud popping sound I would hear over dips, bumps, and inclines.
The following users liked this post:
jimaleg (07-03-23)
Old 02-13-08, 07:42 AM
CenterIsl
Pit Crew

Interesting. In my case, the technician (reportedly) got the creak to stop, but now the trim is causing a squeek and he's working on relieving that. The good news is that they're not going to charge me (my car is out of warrenty).
Old 02-13-08, 06:16 PM
CenterIsl
Pit Crew

Well...they spent a total of 4 more hours on it. The notes say "removed rear panels around windows in center rear. lubed and adjusted rear hatch. test drove again still makes popping noise. removed trim pieces again. readjusted rear hatch again. test drove. still makes noise from rear hatch. removed rear panels again. lubed all hinge point again and lubed all rubber stops. test drove again did not hear any abnormal noises from rear hatch area".

I drove it around a bit today and this particular sound is gone - they also tightened up the top somehow so that the rubber seals - which used to make faint squeeky jiggling noises - are also quiet. Fingers crossed...

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Noises