SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Slow Response on the starter???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-08, 12:27 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Slow Response on the starter???

I tried searching for it.. but couldn't think of a right word to look up.... I did "throttle" "lag" "starter"...etc but no result.

I noticed on my 04, when I put my key into ignition and tried to get it start, it takes a few seconds to start. You know the typical sound that starter makes when they're trying to get the engine running? It sorta sounds like if your car was quite old.. I dunno how exactly to describe this. Anyways, I took my car in the other day for my wind noise issue and according to the service manager, he said it's perfectly normal on SC. But then they gave me a loaner, RX350 and it doesn't have any issues with a starter. He's saying, it's different between Lexus models. What do you guys think?
Old 02-08-08, 12:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

define slow? it never took me more than a second to start my car

how's your car battery
Old 02-08-08, 01:04 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

well I mean slow as...it sounds like it's 'trying' to catch the engine to run.

Battery should be good. I just bought the car so no i don't know the exact history of it.
Old 02-08-08, 01:09 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you mean that it sounds like the starter is turning over slowly? That, to me, would indicate either a problem with the battery or starter.

Or do you mean that it takes several seconds of the starter running for the engine to "catch" and fire up?

On my '03, it takes a couple of seconds for the car to recognize the immobilizer in the key. I've found that, as long as I wait for the steering wheel to extend fully before I start to crank, it fires right up. If I get impatient and just stick-in-the-key-and-crank, it will crank for quite a while before it fires up.
Old 02-08-08, 03:48 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
Do you mean that it sounds like the starter is turning over slowly? That, to me, would indicate either a problem with the battery or starter.
What Habious said. My battery died a couple of times and I got Lexus to replace it for free. What surprised me most was how much faster the car turned over with the new battery and started. I guess the battery degregation was so gradual that I didn't really notice the slower engine turn-over. Still sounded fine. But the new battery difference was huge.

Originally Posted by Habious
Or do you mean that it takes several seconds of the starter running for the engine to "catch" and fire up?

On my '03, it takes a couple of seconds for the car to recognize the immobilizer in the key. I've found that, as long as I wait for the steering wheel to extend fully before I start to crank, it fires right up. If I get impatient and just stick-in-the-key-and-crank, it will crank for quite a while before it fires up.
On my '06, this is not an issue at all. I never wait and it fires right up.
Old 02-08-08, 05:47 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I didn't notice the delay-in-starting problem until I had the LuxLink installed. I think this might be a side-effect to my particular installation (I didn't do it...had it done by a local shop).

I know that part of the LuxLink installation is to take the loop antenna for the Imobilizer deactivator and wrap it around the ignition cylinder. I often wondered if this changed the position of the antenna that the car's Imobilzer system uses.

It's one of those minor quirks that I've learned to live with. As long as I wait until the steering wheel is done moving before I crank, it ALWAYS starts.