SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Can just one TPM be registered?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 02:26 PM
cj68
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can just one TPM be registered?

I had to get a new rim and the TPM off of the old wheel did not seal and then broke when the shop tightened it down. I went to the dealer and got a new TPM and my shop installed it. Now the TPM light is on.

I know that the new TPM needs to be registered and I still have the box that has the serial # on it. Can just the new TPM be registered, or do the other 3 rims need to be broken down in order to obtain the serial #s for the other TPMs as well? One dealer told me that they could just register the new one, and another dealer told me that the 3 other rims need to be broken down.

BTW, dealer 1 wants $110 just to register the one TPM and dealer 2 wants $250 to break all the wheels down and re-register all 4 TPMs.

I am kind of at a loss on what to do... does anyone have any experience with this type of issue?

Thanks,

cj
Old 02-21-08, 06:08 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have taken my car in with 4 new sensors to register. The dealership wanted to charge me an arm and a leg to break the wheels down to get to the sensors/serial numbers. That was until I told them I had the numbers written down in the owners manual. I would think they should be able to just register one sensor if you have the number for the new sensor and the number off the old sensor so they know which one they are replacing. Good luck!
Old 02-21-08, 07:25 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

SC430 is the first gen TPWS system. The scantool would reister the sensors to the vehicle with out the serial numbers but all the sensors would have to be different. There are 4 different types of sensors. They are color coded. There is the blue,white,red and gold. If you are replacing a sensor you will need the old sensor and match it to the new one. The tech then registeres the new sensor via the scan tool.

The way its done is the tech hooks up the scantool via the OBD-II port. The vehicle is selected and the TPWS ecu is communicated with online. Then you select utility and sensor registration. You then either inflate or deflate the each wheel until the sensor sends out data and the ecu registers it.

Since there are several vehicles in the dealership and if someone else in 4 bays away is inflating the air in the tires on that vehicle it could cause an issue. Also the electronic wireless interferance in the dealership is significant to be a problem registering these sensors.

I've usually inflated the tires to 45+psi and drove the vehicle with the scantool and a pressure gauge to a remote location and started registration there and deflated the sensors one at a time until the scantool registers the sensors. Once the sensor data for pressure and temp is consistent I know they are working normal.

Note: this only works on the SC430. Other vehicles use a serial number that has to be manually entered.

If you attempt to register 2 or more identical colored sensors you will have an issue. So make sure the sensor you've removed and the sensor you're installing is the same color.
Old 02-21-08, 07:50 PM
cj68
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info... that is exactly what I was looking for. I did match up the sensors (gold for gold).

cj
Old 02-22-08, 05:43 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Then the dealer should only have a 0.5hr charge to register your sensors. You won't need to have your tires/wheels broken down to have them registered.
Old 02-22-08, 06:51 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wondering. I purchased 4 wheels and 4 new sensors for my snow tires and recorded which sensor is mounted on each wheel by laminating the information on the back of the wheel before the tires were mounted should the dealer labor would still be 1/2 hour to register the sensors?
I sure don't want the dealership to have to dismount the tires as they are so nicely balanced that I have zero vibrations on the freeway.