SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

A Big Rig Hit me, what to do next? See PICs

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-08, 04:17 PM
SC430Sam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FunGuy
Insurance just got back to me. They quoted me $1,400 for a busted Hood, Fender, Headlamp washer, Bumper and Wheels. Is that too low? I Hate Allstate. They only gave me $123 to repair my multipiece Super Chrome wheel.

Funny fact is when I called up allstate's wheel repair shop, they quoted me $477 and Allstate is bogus. Wheels america said that they outsource to wheels techniques and the average turnaround time is 4-8 Weeks. Sucks to be me.
I would be shocked if they could get all of that done for $1400. They may be able to repair it to be almost back to normal, but in order to really get it right (or what I would demand) is a new hood (unless it is not that bad), new bumper, and blending the paint on all of it which is not cheap. Working on a Lexus is not like working on a Ford.

Is the silver a three stage paint?
Old 03-09-08, 04:19 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

wow $1400 damn thats not good, the maya wheels are $1100 each alone arnt they.

http://superbuytires.com/MAYA/RT5/
Old 03-09-08, 06:06 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

that's way too low for that much damage. i'd call your own insurance agent as well. they can help pressure alstate. worst case scenario, you'll have to sue.
Old 03-09-08, 06:15 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

insurance quote sounds ridiculously low. btw- maybe it's the way the pics are angled but it kinda looks like you hit him.
Old 03-09-08, 07:50 PM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A Chevy can't be fixed for the quoted dollars with similar damage.. Perhaps can't even fix your hood for the all the quoted dollars.
Old 03-09-08, 08:40 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FunGuy
Insurance just got back to me. They quoted me $1,400 for a busted Hood, Fender, Headlamp washer, Bumper and Wheels. Is that too low? I Hate Allstate. They only gave me $123 to repair my multipiece Super Chrome wheel.
Insurance companies cannot force you to go to a specific repair shop. It is your choice. They are simply trying to get you to go to a preferred shop.

You should be able to send the wheel to the manufacturer and have it repaired or if they say they cannot/will not fix it then replace it. This is assuming that you have the paperwork for the rims (not second hand). The insurance company is supposed to cover what is bolted on to the vehicle.

As for the repairs take it to a dealer who will refer you to their local repair shop. These are usually pretty good shops. Get a quote from them and then have your insurance company work it out with both vendors.

Is it safe to assume here that the accident was not your fault and that Allstate is the truck driver's insurance?
Old 03-09-08, 08:53 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to add one thing. Insurance companies do small payouts to deter/mitigate fraudulent cases. That is why checks are always so low. They will pay more for a qualified shop to handle the repairs but only as long as you are not the one handling the money.
Old 03-09-08, 09:15 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

One has to keep in mind that regardless if it is a Lexus or a Yugo, the paint is going to cost the same as well as the body work/repair. There really is nothing no more special about repairing the SC vs any other car other than parts being more expensive to acquire. The paint comes from the same bin and mixed with the same machine that mixes paint for every other car out there.

It would help if you had the breakdown of their quote, but it appears that the hood is just dented along with the bumper and fender. All minor body repairs and then paint. Normally one panel gets around $350.00 for repair and paint so the quote is about right. The picture of the truck on top of the car looks worse than it actually is. The suspension does not appear to be pressed on one side so it most likely just went over the panels.

Again, this is based on the pics available. Pics of the damage without the truck on top would be of help.
Old 03-10-08, 02:20 AM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Unfortunately, I have allstate too.
Insurance determined that it wasn't my fault because I was parked.
Headlamp washer system completely destroyed and missing.
Hood and fenders are crushed in.
As for the wheels, I have the receipt but they are discontinued.
I dont know any reputable bodyshops except for the dealer. Thanks for the feed back and keep them coming. BTW, ALLstate sucks.
Old 03-10-08, 03:53 AM
4onenight
Driver

Thumbs up

Bro Be Happy They Are Covering, I Have Mercury And I Got Hit By A Car Passing The Red Light And They Put The Damn Blame On Me.. Can You Beleive That.. The Only Reason Why Is Because There Was No Evidence Or Witnesses And To Only Witness Was His Cousin Coming Behind Him
Old 03-10-08, 05:42 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, first thing you need to do is get a few estimates from different companies so you can come up with an average repair cost. Then you have something to argue with if Allstate low ***** you. If there is a big difference in numbers you then have something to show your state insurance commissioner.
Allstate never wants to get involved with those people. Remember, you didn't do anything wrong here. You should be in a rental car from the very first day
as the other party is liable for for your damages. You can get a lawyer to deal with Allstate and it doesn't have to be on a contingency basis either. A couple of hundred dollars to write the appropriate letters to Allstate and the insurance commissioner will get them moving. Allstate is a terrible company so if they want to play hard ball you need to too!

Just remember facts and data. If three different companys tell you it will cost $3,000 to fix your car correctly then it doesn't give Allstate much of an argument. To argue with an insurance company you need to show that you have done your homework. It makes it a lot tougher for them to BS you then.
Old 03-10-08, 07:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Sorry to see that Best of luck on the repair.
Old 03-10-08, 08:52 AM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget to be compensated for your cars depreciated value. Since it has been in a wreck, even though it is far from a total, it is now worth less than the exact same car that has never had any body work done to it. If you were looking at two of the exact same cars and they both had the same mileage and you knew one had been in a minor accident and fixed and the other one was original which one would you buy? Check with the dealer,show him the photo and ask him if it would make any difference on a trade in value knowing he was taking in a car that had some body/paint work done to it. It he says yes and gives you an amount then that also becomes part of your claim. Insurance is there to cover your loss, you did nothing wrong so make sure all of your losses are covered.
Old 03-10-08, 08:52 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
btw- maybe it's the way the pics are angled but it kinda looks like you hit him.
That has to be the worst camera in history, cuz that's exactly what it looks like. Truck looks parallel to pumps, FunGuy looks like he plowed under the truck's trailer. This is one example where a picture is NOT worth 1000 words!
Old 03-10-08, 11:13 AM
bubblerboy
Driver School Candidate

This is one of those situation where you know you're going to have trouble. I would do the following (not to say you should do the same). I would take detailed pictures of all the damage. I would then engage the best repair shop I could find, because in the end even if insurance doesn't cover it all you want the car right the first time. I then would go after the money and get as much of it as you can. I can't think that $1400 would cover it and get it right but be that as it may the most important thing is to have the car back to new. If you are anything like me I would rather take a lose then to have a mismatched panel or two. Plus if you have the receipts I think you have a very good chance of getting the payment in full. I think you have to check as well. I don't think an insurance company can demand who repairs the car. They will likely pay the lowest estimate but I would not let that dictate who works on my car. JEH

Quick Reply: A Big Rig Hit me, what to do next? See PICs