SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

A Big Rig Hit me, what to do next? See PICs

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 12:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

wow crap, sorry to hear about your accident

don't even worry what allstate says. get a good body shop, give them the car and get the right estimate. that's the price allstate has to pay, i can care less what they say. if they don't agree, they deal with the shop directly.
Old 03-10-08, 12:40 PM
bubblerboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you can deal with a good shop like that. You want the shop working for you not the insurance company. Insurance is not the problem of the body shop. If you want to be treated well then you also have to do the same. Tell them you will pay what is required to get the car as close to new as it can be possibly made and then deal with the insurance as a separate issue. That's the only fair way to do business.
Old 03-10-08, 12:58 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You're not entitled to demand all new parts because the parts that were damaged were used. You are entitled to ask for undamaged used parts
as replacements if they are available instead of having your old ones beat out and bondoed!
If you have three good estimates in hand they don't have much of an argument. Three reputable shops should estimate the job within 10% of each other. That way if you have to go to court to go after the balance you will be able to prove you weren't going after anything that wasn't due you.
If you do all the legwork and obtain all the proper estimates the insurance company is obligated to pay a proper claim and by having all the paperwork
you have shown it is a proper claim. If you have any trouble your state insurance commissioner will then go after them. People get into trouble by demanding things with out doing the paperwork.
If you accept a check from them and then think you will go after them for the balance later be careful because by cashing the check you are relinquishing all your rights to future claims against their client.
Old 03-10-08, 01:18 PM
kleef
Rookie

When I had some body damage I went to my favorite shop before I went to insurance and got the quote. Then when i got the insurance quote i already knew it was legit. BTW i used Wawanesa and they were great. Basically they told me their quote, but said to take my car to the shop of my choice and the shop would work with them. And that's what happened. So I don't see that as "not the way to do business," because the shop also told me the same thing that Wawanesa did. Everyone was on the same page.
Old 03-10-08, 02:19 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True story: I went to a body shop that fixes exotic cars 1 yr ago. A CHP's 545i was in the shop for 35 days because AAA insurance would not authorize repair estimates the shop gave. So sad.

But thanks for the info, I dont think I will get a lawyer because that is too pricey for a non-injury claim. I will contact state commission insurance if claim gets negligent. Thanks guys.

BTW, truck came from behind me and turned into me. I was in his blind spot i guess.
Old 03-10-08, 02:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

if that's the case, you have issues with your insurance.

i have always get the quote from my body shop and give it to insurance. as long as it's reasonable and the body shop can show the damage, insurance never have a problem.

bottom line, you pay body shop first and then deal with insurance? good luck. if the repair is not fully authorized by the insurance ahead of time, they can deny the pay if they don't justify it. plain and simple

good luck
Old 03-10-08, 07:59 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

seems like you would have well over that in just parts cost alone...
Old 03-10-08, 08:24 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Henry brings up a good point. Nobody gets a new panel for just a few dents if it can be repaired otherwise and the insurance company will simply just cut a check for their quote. This is why the quote above is low for new panels because it does not require new panels. Plus, there are risks with replacing panels as well such as misalignment, etc...When I repaired my hood recently I never thought of replacing it as it would be been the wrong decision to do in my case. I repaired the dent and the few chips and went from there. Perfect repair and fits as it should.
Old 03-11-08, 02:11 AM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Material for paint and labor has been rediculously low lately. I remember a time in high school where somebody hit my rear bumper on a 1990 acura integra, the repair for just the bumper exceeded $1,200. Guess shops are more competitive now compared to almost a decade ago.
Old 03-18-08, 02:13 PM
Yes

i was hit by a drunk driver last night and it did a similar amount of damage. the right front fender needs to be replaced. the bumper needs the be replaced. paint needs to be blended into the hood and passenger side door. the estimate was $5500. state farm is going to send an adjuster out to do their own estimate, but the shop said they're always right on their numbers. so i'd say you're getting screwed big time.
Old 03-18-08, 02:21 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jason702
i was hit by a drunk driver last night and it did a similar amount of damage. the right front fender needs to be replaced. the bumper needs the be replaced. paint needs to be blended into the hood and passenger side door. the estimate was $5500. state farm is going to send an adjuster out to do their own estimate, but the shop said they're always right on their numbers. so i'd say you're getting screwed big time.
You alright?
Old 03-18-08, 03:02 PM
Yes

i'm fine. what happened was a guy in a truck was tailgating me for a few hundred feet. i was driving the speed limit because i knew cops would be out in force for st patty's day. he swerved into the bus lane to pass me, then cut back into my lane abruptly. i think he was trying to scare me. he sideswiped the fender. and ripped off the bumper. my bumper was caught in his bumper. he ran. i followed him. he went down some back streets. my bumper fell of his truck after about half a mile. he went back onto a major street and pulled right out in front of traffic. i waited then raced and caught up with him. he slammed on his brakes, cut across three lanes of traffic and got into the center turn lane. i got over and got into the lane in front of him. he waited until traffic was right there, then u turned into them. they locked up their brakes and he sped off. i probably could have caught him again, but it was obvious he was willing to risk people's lives to get away. but my friend got his license plate and took a picture of his truck on his phone. so the police will get him soon enough. hopefully he has insurance. if not, worse case scenario is i'm out my $500 deductible. i'm just glad no one got hurt.
Old 03-18-08, 03:05 PM
JDM_Soarer

Originally Posted by FunGuy
Insurance just got back to me. They quoted me $1,400 for a busted Hood, Fender, Headlamp washer, Bumper and Wheels. Is that too low? I Hate Allstate. They only gave me $123 to repair my multipiece Super Chrome wheel.
That does not sound right to me. A kid backed into my fender last September. He destroyed the fender and put a small crack in the front bumper and spider webbed the paint so the front bumper had to be repainted. Allstate paid out $1500 to me for a new fender, repainting the front bumper and fender + install ect. No hood, wheel, or headlight damage in my case. Mind this is a 1991 Toyota Soarer (or SC).
Old 03-18-08, 03:07 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i think your rims are bigger than the NPR's. haha.
Old 03-18-08, 03:09 PM
miniround
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

that price sounds way too low. a headlamp assembly for my RX300 (1) was 495$. USAA too. hood was 1000$ repainted color match. USAA. front bumper was 325 painted color match... USAA. allstate is screwing u

Quick Reply: A Big Rig Hit me, what to do next? See PICs