SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

A Big Rig Hit me, what to do next? See PICs

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 04:13 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jason702
i'm fine. what happened was a guy in a truck was tailgating me for a few hundred feet. i was driving the speed limit because i knew cops would be out in force for st patty's day. he swerved into the bus lane to pass me, then cut back into my lane abruptly. i think he was trying to scare me. he sideswiped the fender. and ripped off the bumper. my bumper was caught in his bumper. he ran. i followed him. he went down some back streets. my bumper fell of his truck after about half a mile. he went back onto a major street and pulled right out in front of traffic. i waited then raced and caught up with him. he slammed on his brakes, cut across three lanes of traffic and got into the center turn lane. i got over and got into the lane in front of him. he waited until traffic was right there, then u turned into them. they locked up their brakes and he sped off. i probably could have caught him again, but it was obvious he was willing to risk people's lives to get away. but my friend got his license plate and took a picture of his truck on his phone. so the police will get him soon enough. hopefully he has insurance. if not, worse case scenario is i'm out my $500 deductible. i'm just glad no one got hurt.
Damn!!! That really sucks man I hope that get that bastard
Old 03-18-08, 05:01 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

i was hit by a drunk driver last night and it did a similar amount of damage. the right front fender needs to be replaced. the bumper needs the be replaced. paint needs to be blended into the hood and passenger side door. the estimate was $5500. state farm is going to send an adjuster out to do their own estimate, but the shop said they're always right on their numbers. so i'd say you're getting screwed big time.
Cannot really compare your damage to his as there are no pics of his damage. It could just be some small dents and scratches as it does not appear any panels are getting replaced as in your case.
Old 03-18-08, 06:32 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TLW
Damn!!! That really sucks man I hope that get that bastard
i'll check with them tomorrow and see if they got him. but there is a silver lining. i wanted to replace the bumper to get rid of the front license plate and fix some nasty rock chips. i was quoted around $2000 on that. now it's getting done anyway. still, i'd rather not get hit by drunk drivers whenever possible.

Last edited by Yes; 03-18-08 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-18-08, 06:38 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Cannot really compare your damage to his as there are no pics of his damage. It could just be some small dents and scratches as it does not appear any panels are getting replaced as in your case.
the panel is listed on my estimate at $350 parts. 5 hours labor @ $50/per. so $600 plus paint.
Old 03-18-08, 06:42 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

i'll check with them tomorrow and see if they got him. but there is a silver lining to the cloud. i wanted to replace the bumper to get rid of the front license plate and fix some nasty rock chips. i was quoted around $2000 on that. now it's getting done anyway. still, i'd rather not get hit by drunk drivers whenever possible.
Now $2k would be very high for just a front bumper job. Holes are easily repaired to stronger than OEM specs and finished with a nice paint job for well, well under $1k.

In fact I made the mistake of having a shop paint my front bumper (been very busy) of which the final result is not what I would consider to be up to my standards though my friends and neighbors seem to think it looks ok.

I will pull it, strip, and paint myself for around $100.00 tops and the end result will be to my liking.

I already completed my hood-just need to get to the bumper.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=sc430
Old 03-18-08, 06:48 PM
Yes

they told me that over the long run, it would be better to replace the bumper. they said the material they'd use to plug the holes would be different than what the bumper was made out of and that over time it would probably separate. especially since i live in vegas and the temperatures get up to 120 degrees in the summer. not sure if that's true or not. but it sounded reasonable.
Old 03-18-08, 06:53 PM
Yes

just read your repair thread. nice job. a little off topic, but how much does it cost to have an invisible bra installed? i should get one now that my car will be like new.