Traded in 05 SC 430 for 08 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08, 03:09 PM
karmann
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traded in 05 SC 430 for 08 Corvette

I did love the Lexus but at the same time wont miss it. I have only had the
Vette for 1 day but am suprised that even though it has runflats it rides as well as the SC with regular tires, but it probably is noisier. The Vette is much nicer than I thought it would be and I find it far superior to the SC in every respect but engine refinement. The power is ridiculous. The visibility is maybe better too. Gas mileage is about the same. And it has lots more gadgets. I do think the SC is better looking and classier looking and has a lot better image. Cant have everything. But the Vette did suprise me in that it can be used as a real car. Handling and steering is worlds better than the SC. I apologize for bad mouthing the Lexus. Just thought my impressions might interest some who are thinking of switching. I had always wondered myself. In previous years the Vettes were sold out so I couldnt even test drive one.
Old 03-15-08, 05:46 PM
SC430Sam
Driver

I drove an 07 Vette (manual), and it was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. Loud as can be (but very powerful), the passenger door wouldn't even open (the electric door had shorted out or something. Not good considering it was brand new), the clutch stuck to the ground one time, and I had to get my foot under there and pop it back up (scary)! It is a beautiful car, but if a dealer is going to offer test drives, they better have a car that is in A+ shape. Just my honest opinion.
Old 03-15-08, 06:27 PM
keeper15
Rookie

Well both cars are great! As for me I am trading my C5 for an SC!
The vette was mine and the wife has been a trooper allowing my mid-life crisis
to pass! I am getting her the SC to ride in and I will get the X5!
I actually have an SC owner with 2004 who will take cash and my C5! So I will be very happy and hope the wife likes the Blue SC

The vette was so much fun to drive and be seen in, I will get another Im sure!
Old 03-16-08, 09:26 AM
karmann
Rookie

You wont get an argument out of me that the SC is more reliable than the Corvette. But so far nothing has fallen off. But what amazes me is how good the car is, I was suprised. All cars just keep getting better. I expected it would handle and have great power but it is actually more comfortable than the SC for me.
Old 03-16-08, 11:49 AM
keeper15
Rookie

Its nice to be able to choose between two very nice cars! I have my C5 still and have tested a couple of the SC's...great cars the both of them!

That C6 is another level if you ask me...the power to rear wheels is Fighter Jet Power...I ran a few F15's in my younger days

Lots of fun in the seat bottom!
Old 03-18-08, 04:36 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

nice corvette,,,,,,, but I would never trade in my Lexus for a Chevrolet.
Old 03-18-08, 05:56 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The new Vette is a far improvement over the older C5/C4 days. I have been thinking of one of those or a 996TT for some time to replace the SC as the garage queen.
The SC is not a car to compare to the Vette as each has it's own virtues. Vette is about speed-that is it-nothing more as it is not intended to be more than that-and it excels in that department. Enjoy the new ride.
Old 03-19-08, 11:24 AM
karmann
Rookie

I respectfully disagree with you. The Corvette is suprisingly to me a real car, ie a very comfortable ride and seating, actually better than the SC without runflats and the Vette has runflats. I am amazed. Power of course is unreal. The engine is smooth enough but not even close to the SC, nor is the audio. But I really like all the toys like XM, Onstar, and I pod connection plus keyless starting. And handling is worlds better as well as turn in and straight line stability. For my first tank mileage was about 10% less, maybe it will get better with mileage, but probably not. And reliability will never match the SC. And I still love the looks of the SC plus having a convertible. No car has everything. You do a great job on the forum and will miss your commets.
Old 03-19-08, 01:08 PM
bubblerboy
Driver School Candidate

This is not directly related to the Corvette vs SC discussion but related. I've always owner European or Japanese cars. Just seemed that I liked something different. I've had good and bad. About 6 or 7 years ago I got into camping and needed a BIG hauler. I've had several Chevy trucks. Started with a 1998 used Tahoe and have gone thru a 2002 Tahoe and a 2005 3/4 ton truck. Just bought a 2008 Tahoe. During this time I've had several Toyota products for my wife to drive. My point? I am impressed with the improvements in the Chevy products in the years I have owned them and I also am of the opinion that the Toyota (Camry) has slipped a little. In fact the next car I buy for the wife is very likely going to be a Chevy Impala or the new Malibu. My new Tahoe is the nicest most comfortable vehicle I have owned, and especially considering it's a truck based vehicle. I just purchased a 2005 SC and it is a beautiful car with which I am very happy but I really don't know if I had to pick just one whether I would pick the SC over the Tahoe. The Tahoe is much more practical rides nearly as well and surprising to me the quality of construction seem pretty equal to me. A very noticable improvement from the 2002 Tahoe to the 2008.

I actually looked at a new Corvette (didn't drive it). I just am not a corvette guy. I am not particularly impressed with the appearance of the car and I certainly don't need the additional performance. I guess what I am saying is to those of you who thinks the Chevy product is inferior in any way I would not jump to that conclusion (from my experience with the Chevy trucks). It's darned nice to have a choice and it's also nice to see the American iron improving. At one time the US stuff was pretty much a not even consider for me. At this point in time that is not the case. I'll tell you one thing for certain. From my bad experiences with BMW and Mercedes cars I'll take a GM for the difference. Lets face in a Camry is likely more American then the GM product. If gas keeps movin on up we'll be talking bicycles and shoes rather then SC vs Corvettes.
Old 03-19-08, 03:16 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

you are all right about the comparison,,,,its very hard to compared these two cars b/c both are very different from each other. I agree with you all on that.....its just that I could never trade in my Lexus for a Chevrolet..... again, thats just me.

.....Chevy Trucks they say are nice when brand new, its just the fact that after 3years of ownership, most owners say thats when the creaks/rattles/minor annoyances come up, and Toyota Trucks are known to surpasse those annoyances..........sorry to change the topic.....

enjoy your new Corvette..... :-)
Old 03-22-08, 10:01 AM
68roadster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by karmann
I did love the Lexus but at the same time wont miss it. I have only had the
Vette for 1 day but am suprised that even though it has runflats it rides as well as the SC with regular tires, but it probably is noisier. The Vette is much nicer than I thought it would be and I find it far superior to the SC in every respect but engine refinement. The power is ridiculous. The visibility is maybe better too. Gas mileage is about the same. And it has lots more gadgets. I do think the SC is better looking and classier looking and has a lot better image. Cant have everything. But the Vette did suprise me in that it can be used as a real car. Handling and steering is worlds better than the SC. I apologize for bad mouthing the Lexus. Just thought my impressions might interest some who are thinking of switching. I had always wondered myself. In previous years the Vettes were sold out so I couldnt even test drive one.
Good move. I always liked my Corvettes more than my wifes SC430. Mainly for power, ride quality, handling, performance, steering and braking feel just to name a few.
Old 03-22-08, 10:07 AM
68roadster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rclab1
.....Chevy Trucks they say are nice when brand new, its just the fact that after 3years of ownership, most owners say thats when the creaks/rattles/minor annoyances come up, and Toyota Trucks are known to surpasse those annoyances.........
Even the Toyota worshiping Consumer Reports has changed its tune on Chevy trucks. Check out the latest evaluation that says they expect reliability problems with the new Tundra. It does not allow for active handling /traction control in 4 wheel, and other issues that I did not like. The Avalanche and regular Chevy crew cabs were their recent picks.

I think the Tundra has been a good truck and they will be good again when they work out the development issues. It is not a bad truck, just not better than the new Chevy and GMC trucks.
Old 03-22-08, 10:15 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This thread has run it's course has turned into something that the OP did not intend. Keep the Toyota vs GM threads in the Car Chat forum where there are plenty.

Karmann, enjoy the new toy.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 03-22-08 at 10:37 AM.