SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Run Flats And Its Options Query

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 01:27 PM
FALCON1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Run Flats And Its Options Query

I am getting ready to replace another set of run flats on my 02 SC.

Question for those of you that have scrubbed them and replaced with normal tires................

Whats the biggest benefit you have noticed without the RF tires ?

What tires do you have on the SC now ?

I drive 50/50 city and interstate at about 10,000 per year.....in the South.

Interested to hear those who pulled the RF and their opinions, I am not a fan but have been reluctant to do so based on the NO SPARE in the trunk rule.

FALCON 1
Old 03-27-08, 02:06 PM
keeper15
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I replaced my RF with Sumitomo HR+ non-RFtires, what a difference!

The SC I purchased last week did not feel stable and I felt the first item I would address was those RF tires. It bounced and transmitted all the cracks and imperfections in the road to the steering wheel.

Well the new tires made the car seem to glide across the road, it felt so much better,handling and normal feeling has been returned!
I live in the big city and dont go across country so roadside service and a tire plug kit with inflator will be my emergency conditions choice.

Good luck on your choice
Old 03-27-08, 02:11 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I put on Michelin Pilot A/S's.

Couldn't be happier with the decision.

- Ride is smoother.
- No more kidney-jarring potholes.
- Car no longer "wanders" around the road (with the RFT's, the car would follow the crown of the road or track along any grooves in the pavement)

I went ahead and bought a "gently used" spare tire kit from a member of another forum. I also carry the Conti Comfort Kit (yeah, yeah....might trash a TPMS sensor but, at least it'll get me home!) It eats up trunk space badly. The trunk is virtually useless with the top down down (only two little areas on each side of the spare tire) but, we just put stuff on the leather-clad parcel shelf behind the front seats.

And just FYI...this is my daily-driver and it's our primary "family" car (family is just the wife and I) so, it's taken on every long trip. We've never "run out of space" to put stuff.
Old 03-27-08, 03:23 PM
FALCON1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Keeper- Good advise and thanks.

HAB- nice SC and I see you too got rid of the Pizza discs on the wheels.

FALCON 1
Old 03-27-08, 03:39 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks!

Actually those wheels and covers are stock. I was told by the dealership that the star-covers were optional. Looks so much better than the pie-plates!
Old 03-27-08, 03:49 PM
norman52
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Just a comment on the Trunk space. I have the factory spare tire and all the carpet and what not that goes with it. I just went to Costco and came home with this in my trunk. (2) 44 pound bags of Lawn Moss killer. (1) 25 pound bag of Fertilizer. (2) bottles of wine. (2) steaks (1) loaf of French bread and a 10 Amp battery charger and one package of windshield wipers. All this fit in the trunk with carefull packing for I have the Air pump and cans of Fix a flat too plus a small tool kit plus the factory first aid kit. The cover went over everything and I drove home with the top down!
Old 03-27-08, 04:00 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Non Run Flats are important

The 02 SC430 that I recently bought has HanKook's Optima H418, standard tires. It rides really nice, the only road feel is from the suspension and that is not a concern, makes the car feel like a roadster should.

Before buying this car, I test drove two 02's with run flats. On one car, they were worn out and the other they were new Bridgestones. My offer on those cars considered that I would have to immediately replace the tires. The dealers would not take my price, so I moved on. The ride was terrible, really bumpy and every ridge in the road could be felt on the steering wheel.

One more thing, you might get a quote on run flats. The Hankook non run flats go for $90. and I hear the run flats cost several hundred. This is another reason to change to non run flats. Also, some on this forum say the run flats wear out faster.

I can live with out a spare tire, so the spare tire space takes care of my trunk needs. This is not our daily driver. The weather is nice here in So. California now, so I always have the top down and park in my garage. Thus, I only use the back seat space to take groceries home, never to keep things where they could be stolen.