17.74%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Audi or SC? Pls help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-08, 10:22 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a former S4 and RS6 owner. Cars are fun. But unreliable and have the WORST service I have ever seen. The maintenance costs/repair costs are astronomically even in comparison to my AMG's. I would suggest steering clear of Audi.
Old 05-13-08, 11:23 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

Like someone else already said, to me this seems like a no-brainer for someone who lives in California. I'd keep the drop top.
Old 05-13-08, 12:00 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
I voted that you should hold-out for the S5.

Having owned 2 SC430s, I can attest that the SC is a great car. Looks and reliability aside though, handling and power are minuses for the SC430 in my opinion. When I owned my `04 SC430 I also owned an `05.5 A4 as my daily driver, and I found the A4 to be a lot more fun to drive than the SC430 because it seemed a more nimble and quicker car to me. By comparison, the SC430 was under-powered for it's weight. Since then, I've traded the A4 for an S4; and if the S4 is any measure of the capabilities of the S5, then the S5 is going to be legendary. I experienced no reliability probems with the A4, and none so far with the S4.

As an aside, I traded my last SC430 for a 645 convertible, which I've since traded for a 650i convertible. I still think the SC430 is timeless looks-wise, but I also believe that the competition has equaled and, in some cases, even passed the SC in terms of power, luxury amenities, and reliability.

Good luck with your decision!
can you give me your left over cars? you go through them like their free
Old 05-13-08, 12:03 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DustinV
I work in Germany and Audi's here enjoy an excellent quality reputation over here. In fact both Audi and Mercedes have improved dramatically over the past few years beating out cars like the famed Toyota Corolla in reliability (Source: KBA). I've had my company car C class for nearly 6 months and have had no problems whatsoever.

Regarding the debate Audi A5 vs Lexus SC, I personally would take the Audi hands down. First of all it looks better, it drives sportier (but is also comfortable according to reviews) and looks fresher. I've seen a lot of A5's and S5's around here in Stuttgart and they manage to turn my head all the time. The SC430, if I see one, doesn't do that.

The SC is my least favorite Lexus along with their SUVs. I view it as a dog compared to the competition as it is generally outclassed now and badly needs a redesign. The fact that Lexus has kept it so long with no real major modifications baffles me. It's like they're "not serious about this market niche".

Unless you're the conservative type that doesn't want to be noticed and prefers to drive like an older citizen, stick with the SC.
dude 6 months is nothing, wait like 2 years then your going to be

But I have to agree with you on getting a A5, the current sc430 model is getting outdated. Unless your going to save alot by keeping the SC430 go with the audi
Old 05-13-08, 03:09 PM
roxanne
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...i say just spend a little more and get an R8....
Old 05-13-08, 03:41 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roxanne
Amen
Old 05-14-08, 12:32 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by roxanne
Spend a little more and get a Gallardo
Old 05-14-08, 12:56 PM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

i cant believe this poll is so skewed...really people?!?! REALLY?!?! the SC is so ugly!!! and always has been...whats with those horrid wheels it comes with? bro it is time for you to step up. if you want a coupe go A5 or wait for the S5 but get outta ur nasty SC
Old 05-14-08, 02:27 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Originally Posted by APBT4Me
i cant believe this poll is so skewed...really people?!?! REALLY?!?! the SC is so ugly!!! and always has been...whats with those horrid wheels it comes with? bro it is time for you to step up. if you want a coupe go A5 or wait for the S5 but get outta ur nasty SC
You drive an IS and you're putting down the SC? That's pretty funny. While the IS is a nice little car (my Mom actually has one) it's simply not in the same league as the SC (with the exception of the new IS-F of course). And as far as the stock SC wheels go, I don't see how that's relevant since neither you nor the OP have stock wheels. Take a look at the pics of the OP's SC and I think even you will have to admit it looks sick.
Old 05-14-08, 03:49 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No offense ... but always thought the IS was pig ugly, get a 3 series
Old 05-15-08, 03:58 PM
APBT4Me
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
You drive an IS and you're putting down the SC? That's pretty funny. While the IS is a nice little car (my Mom actually has one) it's simply not in the same league as the SC (with the exception of the new IS-F of course). And as far as the stock SC wheels go, I don't see how that's relevant since neither you nor the OP have stock wheels. Take a look at the pics of the OP's SC and I think even you will have to admit it looks sick.
not in the same league? i agree they are completely different classes of cars but the SC with its porky 4.3L V8 @ over 3800lbs dry making under 290hp is a slug and a pathetic excuse for a roadster. look here http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_g...tab-specs.html enthusiats and consumers dont like this car and i have yet to meet an SC that out run my IS350....and im not trying to claim my car is lightning quick or anything.

as for the comment above...you will never hear me say anything bad about a 3 series...BMWs are the ultimate driving machine and if it were all about the car i woulda gone 335 but i missed Lexus' service while i have my Audi S6 and the 2IS is the pretties car Lexus has yet to make.
Old 05-15-08, 05:43 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

You could put a ferrari engine in a hyundi, and I'd still prefer the SC. There's more to a car than brute speed.
Old 05-15-08, 09:00 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Personally I could care less what "enthusiasts and consumers" say about the SC - it is all about ME and what I like and enjoy. You are sounding like pollsters and newscasters - lets tell the public who everyone likes best and then we all will vote for them!! What?? If you don't like the SC don't get one. Personally I love my SC and wouldn't trade it for anything - but most of all I don't need anyone else to tell me that!!
Rustito
Old 05-16-08, 07:26 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Originally Posted by APBT4Me
not in the same league? i agree they are completely different classes of cars but the SC with its porky 4.3L V8 @ over 3800lbs dry making under 290hp is a slug and a pathetic excuse for a roadster. look here http://www.caranddriver.com/buying_g...tab-specs.html enthusiats and consumers dont like this car and i have yet to meet an SC that out run my IS350....and im not trying to claim my car is lightning quick or anything.
Yep, not in the same league. An IS driver like yourself putting down the SC is, IMO, about as stupid as a Corolla driver putting down the Solara vert or an RX driver putting down the LX. (This is not to say that the Corolla and RX aren't excellent vehicles in their own right).

Last edited by GatorGreg; 05-16-08 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-16-08, 08:08 AM
Saudi
Driver

brothr no compaison
lexus sc totaly a way....
poor engine.

Quick Reply: Audi or SC? Pls help