17.74%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Audi or SC? Pls help

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-08 | 02:18 AM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Post Audi or SC? Pls help

Hello all, I have been on this forum for a while and have been satisfied with Lexus 100%. My car was involved in an accident recently and I decided to just purchase a new car. Would it be a mistake if I traded in my SC430 for an Audi A5? I do not know about the reliability and will need your input. Please be the deciding factor in helping me decide whether or not to make the transistion. Thank you.

Last edited by FunGuy; 03-29-08 at 02:21 AM.
Old 03-29-08 | 03:25 AM
4onenight
Driver

I Would Say, Handling Wise Audi S5 Is A Plus, But In A Year From Now There Are Gonna Be So Many Audi A5's On The Street That Its Going To Loos Its Shine.. On The Other Hand My Sc Is A 6 Year Old Vehicle And It Still Gets Me Lots Of Looks, Some Guy Today Asked Me If My Car Was A Concept. Lol He Said He Had Not Seen It Before.

ALSO IM NOT SURE BUT I THINK THE SC IS FASTER

So ITS STILL YOUR CHOICE BUT THATS MY OPINION..

P.s. Summers Coming Very Soon And The Audi Is Not Convertible

Last edited by 4onenight; 03-29-08 at 03:31 AM. Reason: So Still Its Your Opinion..
Old 03-29-08 | 08:17 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

reliability is something i wouldn't be sure about the a5. imho if you get it, lease it first and see if the car has issues while you have warranty, so you can return it after the lease if you are not happy.

i don't know the power rating on the car (i only looked at the s5), so i am not sure if the car is as fast as the sc430, but handling and driving wise it should be better than sc430
Old 03-29-08 | 08:58 AM
rcpeters
Driver

Smile Test Drive the Audi

Before buying our first Lexus, I test drove Audi, Volkswagon and a couple Japanese brands. I was fed up with Cadillacs and Jaguars due to quality issues.

I did not like the Audi at all. I felt cramped and the ride was harsh. The paddle shifting feature was slick, but I don't need it. Handling was good, but so is the Roadster. I don't drive fast, but I'll agree with another poster, that the Roadster will probably blow past the Audi once it gets moving.

One other thing that turned me off. A friend had a new TT and asked me if I would like to drive it around the block. I got in and it would not start and he had to call for a tow truck to take it back to the dealer. So, I never did get to try out a TT although it was really cute. Again, very tight fit in the seats and I only weigh 175 lbs. He sold the Audi TT.

Want another Audi story. Many years ago, I went with a client to a meeting in his new Audi. He was so proud as he only had the car for a couple weeks. When the meeting was over, the car would not start. It seems the security system had failed. He called a tow truck and I took a taxi back to my car.

A test drive in an Audi will help you decide.
Old 03-29-08 | 09:33 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

We were in Ft. Lauderdale for the past couple weeks and rented an Audi A4 Cabrolet. To be honest..I hated the car. I have driven a 1997 BMW M3 in the past and am aware of the "German" handling..but the Audi had very, very stiff steering to the point that the damn wheel would not "flow" nicely through my hands...infact it would not budge period without significant effort on my part. I felt like I was driving a car w/ now power steering. In addition to this, the interior design had several overlooks in my opinion..For example, the e-brake could not be engaged untill I lifted up the stupid little center console/armrest into the upright position, then the damn thing would never go back down. Lastly, the car had only 1,700 miles on it and the check engine light came on after the second day. We had to bring it back to the airport for Hertz to give us a new car. They had no more Audi's left so we gladly took a Shelby Mustang Convertible. To be honest, I wish we went straight for the Shelby to begin with. I too had been interested in looking into the new S5...but I think I will stay clear of it now just b/c of my expericance with the A4.

Last edited by jjbenzo; 03-29-08 at 09:37 AM. Reason: add info
Old 03-29-08 | 10:07 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

My friend, you live in sunny California.... unless that slick new Audi is hiding a hard-top convertible that I cannot see, you'll be MUCH happier in your new SC with the top down..... 'nuff said!!
Old 03-30-08 | 07:30 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

It would depend on how long you are keeping the car and if it was your only car. I would not own an Audi outside of the warranty and did not have another ride available when it broke down.
Old 03-31-08 | 05:51 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

having worked on both brands in a dealership for quite some time, keep the lexus! audi's are nothing but trouble. they look great, but that's about it. i'd rather have a 150k mile lexus than a brand new audi.
Old 03-31-08 | 07:53 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

I voted that you should hold-out for the S5.

Having owned 2 SC430s, I can attest that the SC is a great car. Looks and reliability aside though, handling and power are minuses for the SC430 in my opinion. When I owned my `04 SC430 I also owned an `05.5 A4 as my daily driver, and I found the A4 to be a lot more fun to drive than the SC430 because it seemed a more nimble and quicker car to me. By comparison, the SC430 was under-powered for it's weight. Since then, I've traded the A4 for an S4; and if the S4 is any measure of the capabilities of the S5, then the S5 is going to be legendary. I experienced no reliability probems with the A4, and none so far with the S4.

As an aside, I traded my last SC430 for a 645 convertible, which I've since traded for a 650i convertible. I still think the SC430 is timeless looks-wise, but I also believe that the competition has equaled and, in some cases, even passed the SC in terms of power, luxury amenities, and reliability.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by LeslieRC; 04-01-08 at 04:21 AM.
Old 04-01-08 | 02:06 AM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Such inspiring words from such a great CL community. All of you guys are right, the Audi has great handling but the SC needs to be replaced with a comparable Successor. Until the BMW can come out with a comparable hardtop, the SC stays. Thanks.
Old 04-01-08 | 02:46 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I work in Germany and Audi's here enjoy an excellent quality reputation over here. In fact both Audi and Mercedes have improved dramatically over the past few years beating out cars like the famed Toyota Corolla in reliability (Source: KBA). I've had my company car C class for nearly 6 months and have had no problems whatsoever.

Regarding the debate Audi A5 vs Lexus SC, I personally would take the Audi hands down. First of all it looks better, it drives sportier (but is also comfortable according to reviews) and looks fresher. I've seen a lot of A5's and S5's around here in Stuttgart and they manage to turn my head all the time. The SC430, if I see one, doesn't do that.

The SC is my least favorite Lexus along with their SUVs. I view it as a dog compared to the competition as it is generally outclassed now and badly needs a redesign. The fact that Lexus has kept it so long with no real major modifications baffles me. It's like they're "not serious about this market niche".

Unless you're the conservative type that doesn't want to be noticed and prefers to drive like an older citizen, stick with the SC.
Old 04-01-08 | 07:32 AM
rogers2
Racer

To be honest I wouldn't choose either. For the money your going pay for either car you can purchase something better in terms of looks and prestige. Come out the pockets a little more and get new MB CL OR 6 Series.
Old 04-18-08 | 12:14 PM
lexusgs408
Lead Lap

just buy whatever you like and be happy with it.......

Last edited by lexusgs408; 04-23-08 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-18-08 | 12:56 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I just came out of a newer Audi S4 and the car was great. Never had one issue with it and it was solid. Audi has come around and the cars are not what they where. They have really stepped it up and I would purchase an Audi over BMW..I am a HUGE BMW guy also.

Its all up to you. If you purchase and don't keep the car long then you have warranty so nothing to worry about. Lexus and all makes have there fair share of issues one way or another!

IMO its a car that is worth getting and I am considering the RS4 when I am up on my lease.

Good luck!
Old 04-18-08 | 02:31 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Audi has electrical issues. Lexus has rattle issues. No car is perfect. Go with whatever your heart desires.

Quick Reply: Audi or SC? Pls help