SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Non runflat tire opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 04:54 PM
golfxx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non runflat tire opinions

I'm searching for opinions on good tire options for my 03 SC. I currently have the Dunlop Sport 5000's runflats and I'm considering the Sumitomo HTR Z III's. These are very reasonable price tires ($114 at the Tire Rack) compaired to the Michelin Pilot Sport's at around $265 each. Is there a BIG difference on the ride, handling, or how long they last? I've read all the reviews on the Sumitomo's and they sound too good to be true at 114 bucks each.
Old 04-01-08, 05:07 PM
FALCON1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My two cents is and always will be buy the best you can spend.........you get in turn what you pay for..........

I too plan to ditch the RF tires and get TOYO Proxis..................when driving a Lexus I want some decent tires on the road..............

FALCON 1
Old 04-01-08, 06:20 PM
keeper15
Rookie

I replaced my RF with Sumitomo HR+,450.00 Tax + Installed!

I feel like it was reasonable and much better than those RF's. Maybe my next will be a higher priced tire, at the moment though I am very happy with my "upgrade".
Old 04-02-08, 02:58 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's and would buy them again in a second. However, considering the savings and the positive reviews of the Sumitomo's, I'd be tempted to give them a try like Keeper15.

My reservation would be "tire noise." Seems like everytime the subject of tires comes up here, the Michelins come out lasting longer before tire noise becomes an issue. In past threads, most tires seem to run 4000-6000 miles before tire noise appears. The Michelins seem to go well past 10,000 miles before you start to get noise.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 04-02-08, 05:49 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

Default ContiPro Grand Touring Tire

Continental "ContiPro" Grand Touring tire is what I've use in the past.
I too was concerned about the after 5K-6K mile tire noise. I've had the ContiPro Grand Touring Tires and they were quiet up to 9K miles.

how are the Pilot Sport A/S compared to the ContiPro's??????
Old 04-02-08, 05:49 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want ride quality, get the michelins. I've gotten 40,000 miles out of them. If you're willing to give up a little on the ride quality, the other tires are probably a better value.
Old 04-03-08, 10:02 AM
rcpeters
Driver

Smile Nankook Non Run Flats

I have the Nankook Ventus 245/40ZR18 which Discount Tire on line shows for $152. They were already on the 2002 SC430 when I bought it this year and my guess according when the brakes were done, they have about 10K miles on them. The tread looks like new, the ride is soft and handling seems fine.

However, using the Nankook dealer locator web page, I could not find any tire stores near me but the Goodyear store here that I usually visit, sells them. I forgot to ask the other day, how much they sell them for. As I was in there with my LS430, they quoted $90. plus $17. for balancing and stems, for 225/60/16 H tires for the LS430.
Old 04-03-08, 01:51 PM
keeper15
Rookie

The Sumitomo's are as quite a trie as Ive ever had. i also had these on my C5 Vette, the driving on the coast highway is a pleasure with these babies.

I dont question the that the more you spend sometimes the better product you get, although these tires are so much ahead of those RF's!
And the price is outstanding, my friend has a tire shop and said the Sumitomo III are for serious drivers and are a great tire but would wear out faster. I looked at them and I did like the look of them, but cost was about 50.00 more a tire.
Old 04-08-08, 05:37 PM
golfxx
Rookie

Thanks for the input. I think i'm leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Sport AS. Anybody got experence as to how long they last? How about the life of the Somitomo's?
Old 04-08-08, 06:21 PM
keeper15
Rookie

Both Good Choices! Those RF's Have got to go, and you wont be disappointed...check www.tirerack.com and you will get some idea's on the tires...good luck
Old 04-10-08, 08:31 PM
dsimo
Driver

Vs. the Pilot A/Ss, I much prefer the Pirelli PZero Nero. Just switched from Michelin to Pirelli and the Pirellis ride better, have better steering response, hold the road much better, and are much less expensive. The only downsides are they have been difficult to balance; and for an all-season, they aren't worth much in the snow. Had them on a BMW 528, too, and had the same balancing and winter traction issues.
Old 04-12-08, 05:01 AM
golfxx
Rookie

I also had PZero Nero's on a GS and had the same balancing issues. I had to take them off and replace with Michelin MXM4's which balanced up great. Now for my SC I am think and leaning towards Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric's. I have been reading reviews about them and they are all very positive. They are a new tire just released. Anyone have any experience or opinions with these. They are summer tires only however they are reviewed great in the wet. I probably drive about 5 days a year in snow and I don't think I will take the SC out in snow anyway.
Old 04-12-08, 09:39 AM
dsimo
Driver

If you meant F1 All-Seasons, yes, I replaced the Pzero Neros on my BMW with the Goodyears. My impression is that they're just a little bit less than the Pirellis...ride is a little more firm, steering response is a little less precise, but I've seen comments that they're a little noisy, but on the BMW their super quiet, at least compared to the Pirellis. And I'm sure the Goodyears are much, much better in winter weather.

Alot of people here seem to like the Pilot A/Ss, but I have to admit that I was too enamored by them. Given the Pzero Nero balancing issues, I'd probably go with the Goodyears (they balanced without problem).
Old 04-12-08, 02:16 PM
bt430
Pole Position

You can't argue with Pilot A/S or PZeros if you've got a car that can keep up with them. The SC430 is a little different as it's suspension and handling characteristics are not BMW, Audi or Porsche. I just put on Falken 452s and I'm really happy with them. Before you drop a ton of dough on the high priced boys take a look at these.

BT
Old 08-30-08, 09:01 AM
robsvdp
Pole Position

At 9,000 miles on my '06 dealer said I needed an alignment and I did it (8 months ago). At 12,000 miles (yesterday) told my inside wear is really bad, no point in an alignment, need new tires -- shocked the dunlops only last say 15,000 miles! And from what I've read, the wear is a tire problem not an alignment problem. Now that I'm done venting, can any good tire shop change the tires and deal with the TPMS, or will I ultimately end up at the dealership for installation or resetting of the sensors? Any tips? Thx

Quick Reply: Non runflat tire opinions