SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Heater sensor 2 band 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 11:46 PM
thang tran
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Heater sensor 2 band 2

my 2002 65,000 mile SC430 engine warning light was on few days ago , i brougt it to a local Japanese car mechanic , he plugged in computer and said heater sensor 2 band 2 needed to be replaced , sensor cost$250 and labor $150 , i never heard that kind of sensor, i asked him if it was oxigen sensor , because i smelt gas while engine running ,he said it's close to heater area , not oxigen sensor , he asked me to drop my car for whole day he could find why gas smell in muffler . any one knows about that , and i can DIY? i have some skill on mechanic ,thank you very much
Old 04-28-08, 12:18 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

HUH? Not aware of such a contraption, sounds like a O2 sensor to me. Something wrong with the heater would not trigger a CEL.

Perhaps he meant Bank 2 Sensor 2, which would be the rear O2 sensor on the passenger side. Generally the heater circuit inside fails and triggers a code.

Welcome aboard.
Old 04-28-08, 08:21 PM
thang tran
Rookie

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
HUH? Not aware of such a contraption, sounds like a O2 sensor to me. Something wrong with the heater would not trigger a CEL.

Perhaps he meant Bank 2 Sensor 2, which would be the rear O2 sensor on the passenger side. Generally the heater circuit inside fails and triggers a code.

Welcome aboard.

Thank you very much ,
You are my HERO , you should be SC430 trouble shooting expert . Today I brought my car to a smoke check center, I paid $30 for a diagnosis: Oxygen sensor 2 band 2. I need your help , where the sensor located , how to reach it and can i DIY? I looked on Ebay, it costs $24 without connector or $69 complete set or $166 at Lexus dealer , which one you recomend , my Hero.
Thanks again.
Old 04-28-08, 08:26 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

It is the O2 sensor under the floorboard under the car behind the cat on the passenger side. This sensor is used to ensure the cat is working properly.
The problem is the the connector is a bear to get to as it goes up into the interior under the carpet and involved removing a few interior pieces to get to.
The alternative is to get a universal sensor without connector and splice it in under the car. It is only 4 wires and much quicker.
Old 04-29-08, 07:02 PM
thang tran
Rookie

It is the O2 sensor under the floorboard under the car behind the cat on the passenger side. This sensor is used to ensure the cat is working properly.
The problem is the the connector is a bear to get to as it goes up into the interior under the carpet and involved removing a few interior pieces to get to.
The alternative is to get a universal sensor without connector and splice it in under the car. It is only 4 wires and much quicker.
My Hero
I love doing the way you showed me , my question is the universal and the original sensor have the same wire colors or what i should do if they are different ? Please give me some advices and if i buy it on Ebay , what its name? ( 4 wires front right, frond left , rear...)
Thank you very much
Old 04-29-08, 07:04 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Most likely different colors but the O2 should have a color matchup. Two of the wires will be the same color as each other in either gray or white. These are the heater element wires. The other wires are blue, etc.... Each as pie.
Old 04-30-08, 09:15 PM
thang tran
Rookie

Most likely different colors but the O2 should have a color matchup. Two of the wires will be the same color as each other in either gray or white. These are the heater element wires. The other wires are blue, etc.... Each as pie.
My Hero
I ordered O2 4wire universal sensor( without connector) today , shipping could take few days , my existing sensor has 3 colors , 2 blacks 1white and 1 blue . I need your help if i have any trouble .
Thank you
Old 05-02-08, 11:47 AM
thang tran
Rookie

Originally Posted by thang tran
My Hero
I ordered O2 4wire universal sensor( without connector) today , shipping could take few days , my existing sensor has 3 colors , 2 blacks 1white and 1 blue . I need your help if i have any trouble .
Thank you
My Hero
Today , while waiting for shipped sensor, i did oil change (DIY), suddenly the engine light disappeared even after i drove about 20 miles ( the last oil change 3000 miles and 3 months ago). I have 2 questions:
1/ replace it or just wait untill engine light's on?
2/P0161 oxygen sensor band2 sensor2 located on passenger side after cat?
( saleman told me that it's on driver side)
Old 05-02-08, 04:37 PM
thang tran
Rookie

Originally Posted by thang tran
My Hero
Today , while waiting for shipped sensor, i did oil change (DIY), suddenly the engine light disappeared even after i drove about 20 miles ( the last oil change 3000 miles and 3 months ago). I have 2 questions:
1/ replace it or just wait untill engine light's on?
2/P0161 oxygen sensor band2 sensor2 located on passenger side after cat?
( saleman told me that it's on driver side)
My Hero
After i put 80 miles per hour on freeway in 10 minutes , Engine light's on , i went home and received my sensor thrugh UPS , i am going to replace it tomorrow , please tell me which side P0161 Band2 Sensor2 located :driver or passenger . Thank you very much
Old 05-02-08, 10:34 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Did you read the part above where I stated it was the passenger side?
Bank 1 is drivers side, bank 2 is passenger side

Here is a great post with some pictures to make things clearer for you
Old 05-03-08, 04:58 PM
thang tran
Rookie

My Hero
I've done it today ,it took me almost an hour because i could not remove the old senser by sensor socket , i had to cut it shorter and took it out by regular socket , the universal sensor came with color match chart , very easy to connect , after installing the new one and reset ECU( disconnect battery in few minutes) , start engine , check volt output on sensor , it goes from 0 to 0.45 volt after engine running 5 minutes - perfecto- I drove 30 miles on freeway , engine light never came back , i did not believe that it was so easy,i paid $30 for smoke check center , $25 for sensor, i don't mind , after 1 year warranty, my sensor down , i replace another one easy like spark plug because universal connecter right there . Thank you very much my Hero
Old 05-03-08, 07:33 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Good to gear, nice work! Nothing like fixing it yourself for some pride and a little more coin left in the pocket.
Drop the top, crank the music, and enjoy the repair.
Old 01-06-09, 06:24 PM
tom63
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pearlpower!
Please see the post
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ensor-1-a.html

Could you please tell me where the Bank 2 sensor 1 is? I have similar problem as Thang Tran has. Please advice.
Thanks
tom63
Old 01-06-09, 11:01 PM
thang tran
Rookie

Tom 63
There are 4 oxigen sensors, 2 before Catalytic Converter (CAT) name Sensor1 and 2 after CAT name Sensor2 , the ones on Driver side name Band1 and Band2 on passenger side . Your sensor1 band2 must be the one on passenger side before CAT ( close to engine). You can see it by opening the hook , follow exhaust pipe where it goes down before conecting to CAT , remove it harder than the ones after CAT because less room and sometime thread melt down and you have to rethread by tools sold at Autozone $25 or any auto part store , I recomend you use the universal sensor , $65 Borsch at Autozone ,not on Ebay because you can return it if it's not working and make it easy for you to replace it next time ( O2 sensor fails anytime even on the new car with few thousand miles on)
Let me know if you have any problem
Old 01-07-09, 06:57 PM
tom63
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks brother Thang tran!
I will open the hook and try to familiar with it location.
I went to Kragen to check the price. They quoted (all product are Borsch):
Front Right: 129.99; Front Left: 213.99; and the two Rear(R2 S1/R2 S2) 204.99.
As you advised, I will check with Auto Zone for the price. Please let me know what 's the different between Universal sensor and the other?
Do you have any chart, photo, or schematic for this type of job?
Great to have you help Sir
Tom63

Quick Reply: Heater sensor 2 band 2