SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Water Water Everywhere!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 07:03 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water Water Everywhere!!

Well, not everywhere - but a concern. We have had some rain storms here in the D.C. area and the other day I opened my trunk and noticed that the carpet on the back left side of the trunk was damp (it is the place where the trunk cover settles when you don't have it pulled out). It looks like some drips of rain might have come in from the seal around the corner and dripped down into that small square spot (trunk cover was pulled out at the time). It was not pooled water - just damp. Didn't happen on other side of trunk.

I'm taking the car into dealer tomorrow but wanted to know if anyone has had any trunk leaks so I might help advise them?? My SC is a 2004 Pebble Beach. I am concerned - hope they can locate problem and that maybe others have had this and it is just the rubber seal that needs replacing? Any ideas/Suggestions??

Thanks, Rustito
Old 05-22-08, 07:06 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

Oh - one more thing - I have only had the car since January so don't know if my car has that this problem in the past.
Rustito
Old 05-22-08, 07:34 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the seals may need checking or replacing. I owned an `02 and an `04 and never had the problem you describe. I once experienced leaking along one of the roof seams in the `02, and that turned out to be a defective seal.

The dealer should be able to solve it. What dealer are you using? I have always had good experiences at Lexus of Silver Spring.

Good luck!
Old 05-22-08, 08:14 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

Sure hope it is just the seals. But strange that no one else has had this problem. I spent time searching archives and only found one person with trunk leaks. Not sure whether to feel good that it is not a common problem or be worried that they might not be able to find the problem.

I am taking it to Lexus of Rockville - near Shady Grove. Have you heard anything about service at that dealer?? I have only taken it in once for the post pre-owned warrenty oil change etc. Bought the car from Pohanka in Chantilly, VA. Actually it was owned by someone who had been on this forum but think since he sold the car he has not been on the forum because I had a question or 2 for him but no reply.

Rustito
Old 05-22-08, 10:05 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

One more comment on my leak issue. Last week after quite a bit of rain I reached for my seat belt shoulder strap and it felt sort of damp - I passed that off thinking maybe it was just cold and not really wet, however, this is the same side as the trunk leak. Now the interesting part is that I was just searching in the SC400 forum and found someone reporting a leak on driver's side trunk and shoulder strap and behind the rear seats. He finally found it to be coming from the bottom of the window - think rear side window.

But still not sure that my seatbelt was actually damp but I see it retracts from the back side. I just hope this doesn't turn out to be one of those "mystery leaks". I was haunted by one in my 70's VW Super Beetle that was never found and a total nightmare!!
Rustito
Old 05-22-08, 10:13 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The only "water leak" I've had on my '03 was at the windshield A-pillar. I found out (after several rounds with the dealership (Pohanka in Chantilly) that the windshield was replaced during the 1st owners tenure (was a Lexus factory windshield replaced by a non-Lexus dealer but covered under warranty because it was deemed a "stress fracture"). Took me several tries to convince them that it actually DID leak (One phone call had me screaming at them "The windshield leaks...this isn't an opinion! It leaks!") they had their glass-guy reseal it and everything's been fine ever since.

I have a CarPC in my trunk. I pray it never leaks back there!

Please, keep up posted on what they find/fix.
Old 05-22-08, 10:23 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rustito
Sure hope it is just the seals. But strange that no one else has had this problem. I spent time searching archives and only found one person with trunk leaks. Not sure whether to feel good that it is not a common problem or be worried that they might not be able to find the problem.

I am taking it to Lexus of Rockville - near Shady Grove. Have you heard anything about service at that dealer?? I have only taken it in once for the post pre-owned warrenty oil change etc. Bought the car from Pohanka in Chantilly, VA. Actually it was owned by someone who had been on this forum but think since he sold the car he has not been on the forum because I had a question or 2 for him but no reply.

Rustito
I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. The SCs are very well made cars in my opinion and I'm sure the problem can be corrected. "Leakage" in cars is typically a drainage or seal issue. I've never used Lexus of Rockville for service, but I've heard that they have a good service reputation.

Good luck!
Old 05-22-08, 12:08 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Appreciate the responses from forum members. I just went out and poured water over the area around where the leak was and looked into trunk and no water leaked in. So I will see what happens tomorrow at dealer and I will keep the forum posted on the outcome (nice to have forum members interested in the outcomes of these problems - learining from each other is the benefit of a forum like this one - esp. one where people are so responsive - maybe the SC brings together good people!

But just came back from my first mini-trip with the SC to Virginia Beach (found leak packing the trunk and obsessed all the way down). But coming home yesterday weather was perfect and even going 80 mph with top down was fantastic smooth easy ride - could hear my music and just smiled and enjoyed. My dog was in his soft crate safely in the backseat (even he was smiling!!) and the 2 ribbons he won at the dog show were on the seat beside me!! Not sure which made me most happy and proud - the ribbons or how fantastic the ride was!!

Rustito
Old 05-22-08, 03:29 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

I had some dampness in my trunk. My theory was that after driving in the rain or a car wash, some water gets caught in a runner or concave part of the trunk-top assembly. Such that, when you put your top down, that remaining water drips wherever gravity takes it.

This could explain why your seatbelt got a little wet.
Old 05-23-08, 07:24 AM
bt430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem but I was lucky enough to be able to fix it myself. Take a look at the rubber gasket around the trunk sill and make sure that's seated properly. Mine was up in a couple of spots once I got it back in place leaks stopped.

BT
Old 05-24-08, 12:44 PM
Rustito
Pole Position

Thanks Everyone for your comments. Brought in car yesterday and dealer said rubber around trunk all looked OK but they re-alined a drain tube and also cleaned out debris which had collected around trunk and where water was sitting after they tested it. This makes sense because car is not garage kept and although car is kept clean there was some stuff from trees that had blown into channels around trunk.

One issue I keep having - slight streaking down side windows after it rains right at seam of rubber on top of car. Nothing coming into car but leaves a streak on outside of both side windows. Dealer fixed it about a month ago but I still notice very slight streak. Yesterday they told me that was "normal"? Anyone else get this? Can't imagine it is normal - somehow I don't trust when dealer service tells me not to worry - it's "normal"!!

Will update on trunk when we get next good rain- hopefully no leaks.

BT - Where in MD do you take your car for service? Anyone know a good detailer around Bethesda? I use Zaino but could use some help keeping it up.
Rustito
Old 05-25-08, 08:22 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Rustito,
I too get the streak down the windows right below the roof seal. I used a rubber seal treatment called "303" and it seems to have lessened, although it still does streak somewhat. If you look at the front seal along the top of the windshield you will notice it has a lot of rubber in it. My guess is the rubber is breaking down naturally and releasing some oily type residue which streaks down the windows.

I just clean mine off and go on enjoying the car.
Old 05-26-08, 07:39 AM
spinout180
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2002 has a damp trunk, too. I just noticed it about a month ago, since I had to store some home remodeling products in the garage and the SC has been out in the rain. I should check that trunk seal.

Also get the streaks, but I was the car often enough that I never gave it much thought. I just assumed it was from a tree or something.
Old 05-27-08, 07:36 AM
Rustito
Pole Position

With trunk leak - at 1st I wondered if the problem is uncommon because most SCs are garage kept and mine is not. However, my 2001 Acura CL coupe has been kept outside for 8 yrs. now and never leaked!! So no matter where the car is kept is should not leak - unless the SC and moving top can affect rubber sealing or allow debris and prone to this - esp. if car is kept out in the rain. But washed and Zaino'ed both cars yesterday and no water in SC trunk - so far so good! Supposed to rain today so will see.

On side window streaks - Dealer did something last month that really helped the streaking. They put something on the rubber (maybe "303" - will check) but I noticed a very faint streak still on passanger side after rain so asked them to check again when I had it in for trunk leak issue.

As mentioned, no big deal about streaks, however I have only owned the car 4 mos. and never had a pre-owned car so the "little things" are more noticable to me right now - sort of like your first scratch on a brand new car!! But most things that are not "perfect" are not bothering me - it is a 2004 in near perfect condition (treated right by previous owner) and nice low mileage - most issues are just cosmetic. I'm sure the streaks to the previous owner were not worth the worry, however, I'm sure dampness in trunk would have caused concern.